Interesting Seat Belt Info

SGTex

My 5 yr old went to a program today called Safety Town. One of the things they talked about today was Seat Belt Safety. We got a paper home on it also. I'm kind of perturbed b/c it only talks about what the 'law' is and the minimums, but makes not mention about these being minimums. I'm going to qoute this one paragraph

"Adult safety belts do not adequately protect children under the age of 8 from injury in a crash. However, it is estimated that 83 percent of children ages 4 to 8 ride improperly restrained in adult safety belts. Although belt-positioning booster seats are the best way to protect them, only 19 percent of children who should be restrained in booster seats use them."

It bothers me that they say the best way to protect them is a booster. B/c technically, the best way to protect a 4 yr old is not a booster! It also goes on to say that Rear-facing children should stay that way until 1 yr or 20 lbs makes no mention of any higher recommendations. And that children over 40 pounds should be correctly secured in a bpb until adult lap and shoulder belts fit correctly around age 8, but gives no guidelines as to how a belt should correctly fit.

I'm wondering if I should say something about how I feel about this information. That it is not the best info out there etc... or should I just leave it alone?

ADS

Maedze

Sounds like 'old' information rather than 'bad' information. I'd let them know they need to be updated about rearfacing, harnessing, and boostering.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC