Question How important will the 5 lb difference in Rfing weight be?

TheQueenMother

I have 3 MAs, 1 33 limit, 2 35lb limits. All are less than a year old. My baby is 25 lbs now and 17 months (on the 20th). The girls were 30lbs on their 3rd birthdays but Noah is much stockier and larger than the girls were. Given that he is nearly a year and a half, I expect him to have outgrown the seats Rfing prior to his third birthday, but I am not sure how much before. My plan was to turn him at the 33 mark so I would not have to worry about which of the three seats he was riding in, knowing that he would make it to age 2+ rfing. Now that the MR is on the market, I am beginning to wonder just how important that last 5lbs will be for a ffing. My dd just turned 4 and weighs 42 lbs, but he is more than 4lbs heavier than she was at the same age.
Amanda

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's really hard to say. Most kids tend to hit a point right around thirty pounds where they "plateau" with their weight gain - they gain height, but their weight stays the same. This can often mean that babies who seemed like they would outgrow RF by weight if they maintained their previous rate of weight gain end up staying RF much longer than anticipated.

What's your goal? Do you want to keep him RF all the way to four if he stays under the limits that long? Or do you think you'll end up turning him sometime after his 2nd birthday regardless?

TheQueenMother

my plan was to rf to the limits of the seat (33lbs) and turn then beng happy that I had met that goal. Now that four is being tossed around as recommended age, I am wondering if I will need to plan on purchasing another rfing seat to get us to a higher weight.

emandbri

I would cross that bridge when you come to it. Yes, the my ride is the first seat to go to 40 lbs but other companies are working on seats with higher rear-facing weight and they might be out by the time your son reaches 33 or 35 lbs and they might could be used even longer rear-facing and might have more legroom.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm waiting on a TrueFit Premiere to get here on Thursday. It has a 35 pound limit. We had a MR with some fraying issues, so we decided to get the TFP. When he's nearing the RF limit in that seat, I'll see what's available, how old he is and go from there. He's currently 5 1/2 months old and about 19 pounds. He's just starting to roll, and scooch around the floor. So hopefully he'll lean out and/or slow down on the weight gain.

So---I say take a wait and see approach. Go with what you've got for now and see how old he is and what's out there when he outgrows what you've got now.

Susan

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
my plan was to rf to the limits of the seat (33lbs) and turn then beng happy that I had met that goal. Now that four is being tossed around as recommended age, I am wondering if I will need to plan on purchasing another rfing seat to get us to a higher weight.

Keep in mind that recommendation isn't based on anything different or new - we've known for years that Sweden keeps kids RF until about age 4 and that they have the lowest fatality rates. The actual recommendation hasn't changed - the safest thing to do is still "keep your child RF to the limits of the seat." The only reason we're hearing "age 4" instead of "age 2" now is because we've finally got a seat on the market that will allow more kids to actually RF until that age.

Whether or not that's worth buying new seats is totally up to you. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC