Ok, I need modern seat advice!

classicseats

I'll try to make this short. My next door neighbors daughter is visiting for 3 months. She is about my age (40). She has a 2yo and a 4? month old. I went to school with this girl, know her most of my life. She is a DOCTOR! She left the 2 year olds seat laying in the driveway tonight. I was out in the garage polishing a car and I watched a possum walk up to the seat and nose around it! This isn't the best part of the story, though. Everyone over there was in for the night so I thought I would just put the seat in the car or garage, stroller too. I knew the seat was a Britax from being here. I picked it up and went over to her car. It was unlocked so I opened it up and went to lay the RA on the back seat. It had a 2001 date on it! What do I do? I'm not exactly known as classicseats at home.

ADS

mish

Tell her that you went to defend her seat from the possum and noticed it had expired.

I agree with this. Surely she is going to notice the seat isn't where she left it. Go over and tell her that you were trying to help out and while doing so you noticed that her car seat was expired. If she asks how you know that, tell her it was on one of the morning shows once. I know it was because my mother in law saw something about it and mentioned it to me.

mish

As far as not using the tether, it is great to use it but not required. Unless you are in Canada. I was always under the impression that if you used the lower anchors you have to use the tether, but some people say that isn't true. Also, if it was manufactured in 2001 it may not have lower anchors. I don't know when britax started putting them on seats.

Lets just hope she is installing the expired seat tightly!

classicseats

As far as not using the tether, it is great to use it but not required. Unless you are in Canada. I was always under the impression that if you used the lower anchors you have to use the tether, but some people say that isn't true. Also, if it was manufactured in 2001 it may not have lower anchors. I don't know when britax started putting them on seats.

Lets just hope she is installing the expired seat tightly!

It's been killing me! She's a doctor for crying out loud! I can't even tell what kind of seat the 4 month old is in. The car doesn't have latch.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Maybe you work with a guy who is a tech and you've chatted with him about such things? But he's... out of town right now?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If she hasn't got LATCH the top tether isn't required. Encouraged but not required. I wouldn't stress over that at all when the main objective is to get a seat that's been expired for two years out of use.

I agree, just tell her you saw a possum about to do its thing in there and so you moved it, and you remembered seeing a segment on TV about expirations and her seat is expired. For the rest of us on here we may have a seat we could lend her, but as your seats are FAR more expired than hers I wouldn't do that. hehe

Wendy

classicseats

If she hasn't got LATCH the top tether isn't required. Encouraged but not required. I wouldn't stress over that at all when the main objective is to get a seat that's been expired for two years out of use.

I agree, just tell her you saw a possum about to do its thing in there and so you moved it, and you remembered seeing a segment on TV about expirations and her seat is expired. For the rest of us on here we may have a seat we could lend her, but as your seats are FAR more expired than hers I wouldn't do that. hehe

Wendy

Actually, I have a couple of seats that AREN'T expired!

Qarin

Well, once you get to offering spare seats that you have, you'll definitely blow your cover as a regular childless guy who wouldn't know anything about car seats...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Classicseats: "By the way, your car seat is expired."

Girl next door: "How do you know that?"

Classicseats (opening the door to his trove): "Oh, I KNOW car seats."

I think you should come clean. She'll either find it endearing or psychotic.

Let us know how it turns out.

classicseats

Classicseats: "By the way, your car seat is expired."

Girl next door: "How do you know that?"

Classicseats (opening the door to his trove): "Oh, I KNOW car seats."

I think you should come clean. She'll either find it endearing or psychotic.

Let us know how it turns out.

Jennie, I think they will take me away in handcuffs! Then we can share our b-day through inmate mail!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, in all seriousness: How many people live in your neighborhood? Did anyone see you move the seat? Could you leave an anonymous note? After all, there could be other car seat nuts around...

classicseats

Ok, in all seriousness: How many people live in your neighborhood? Did anyone see you move the seat? Could you leave an anonymous note? After all, there could be other car seat nuts around...

No, I live in a retirement community. Well, not really, but almost. I'm thinking of doing the note thing.

Maedze

Classicseats is either going to walk out of this scenario as the hero of the week or with his brand spanking new, very own, personalized restraining order.

PHaley

What if you... left a note and some printouts on ERF/EH/5-step including the AAP rec (since she's a doctor) and maybe even seat reccomendations that can be found easily at a local store...then give her a day or two to digest the info and then tell her your funny story about the possum & as you're laughing at yourself and telling her how cute her kids are and ask her btw did she get your note. Then just tell her if shed like your help choosing or installing you'd be more than willing!

or just go swap them out...take her exp RA and mystery infant seat & replace w/ non-exp seats & the same note and info printouts and stay annonymous!! lol

good luck

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC