How's the head slouching in the XT?

southpawboston

for all you radian XT owners:

how are your kids' heads WRT slumping forward and/or side-side? how do they sleep? do they complain about the seat and/or its headwings?

as i've mentioned in some other threads, i need three radians for a FF 3-across arrangement in my car for carpooling this fall. i'm a HUGE fan of SIP headwings (for comfort as much as for the purported safety benefit), and it's pretty hard to beat what i've got now in terms of massiveness (except for maybe a YS). my DD1 even asked if the new seats that we get to replace the existing ones will have the same "pillows" :). i've seen some pics of the XT's headwings, and they seem okay, but not as deep as any of the recaro's wings. does anyone have any pics of their kids from the side sitting in an XT, to gauge the relative depth?

is the XT any different from the radian 80 other than the wings? is installation still a PITA in many cars? has anyone installed it FF in a mazda3? has anything else changed on the radian over the last year or two?

ADS

Blondie87

He just tilts his head to the side, it never slumps. He doesn't complain about the headwings at all.

Here he is sleeping..
2951_162664545245_650315245_6599966.jpg

AtTheSouthDam

No slumping with DD2, ONCE she had her head on sideways in it but that was because she was mad at the head wings so I put them all the way up. Otherwise she always slept very well in it. The TF.. that's another problem...But I liked the RN XT for sleeping.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
LOVE the XT, no head slouching!

This was RFing, but thought it would help show the wings...
IMG00003.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am also an owner of an XT and none of my young passengers have had any issues with head slumping. :)

pastrygirl

No head slumping FF here, either. In fact, my son started sleeping in the car once I got the XT. The whole first week I had it, he fell asleep on his "pillows" every time we went out!

NVMBR02

We don't have any head slump with ds in the XT. Dd does have some but I think she would in any seat, I think that is just how she is. She does seem the slump less often in the XT then she does in the 90, which is why we make sure we take my car on longer car rides. We love our XTs. :love:

I haven't run into any of the installation issues other people have. The only thing I have had to do is twist the seatbelt stalk to get a good tight install, and that has only been in a couple of cars.

Maedze

FYI SPB, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get three Radians FF in a Mazda 3. They are very narrow seats, but still 17 inches at the shoulder, and the Mazda 3 does not exactly have a huge back seat. I've tried three across in a Nissan Altima and a Dodge Stratus, both of which have comfortably broad back seats and it's just not happening. I can make it look pretty, but once you remove the middle seat, those other two seats are clearly not independently tight.

However, if you put DD2 rearfacing again in the middle, you can probably make it happen :p

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
FYI SPB, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get three Radians FF in a Mazda 3. They are very narrow seats, but still 17 inches at the shoulder, and the Mazda 3 does not exactly have a huge back seat. I've tried three across in a Nissan Altima and a Dodge Stratus, both of which have comfortably broad back seats and it's just not happening. I can make it look pretty, but once you remove the middle seat, those other two seats are clearly not independently tight.

However, if you put DD2 rearfacing again in the middle, you can probably make it happen :p

At 33 pounds I'm not sure it's worth buying an XT that might only last a few months.

Maybe a Boulvard FFing center? it'll puzzle well with the XT's and take up significantly less room in a 3 across.

southpawboston

oy! say it isn't so! i will have to try it myself at our local specialty shop, which carries the radian.

not with me being 6'1", it ain't. :p

Last edited:

Maedze

What about a Roundabout50 forwardfacing center for DD2? It might puzzle over the Radians, especially without the LATCH bars.

Pixels

I thought that Britax convertibles puzzled with a Radian were approximately the same width as Radians side by side?

Maedze

I think the back of the Britaxes, underneath the lip, is a bit narrower, by an inch or so, than the full width of the Radian shoulder.

Pixels

Hmm, maybe it depends on how many you can stack, then. Like MA/RN might be equal to RN/RN, but MA/RN/MA might be less than 3xRNs because of the puzzling ... interesting ...

southpawboston

I think the back of the Britaxes, underneath the lip, is a bit narrower, by an inch or so, than the full width of the Radian shoulder.

I thought that Britax convertibles puzzled with a Radian were approximately the same width as Radians side by side?

Hmm, maybe it depends on how many you can stack, then. Like MA/RN might be equal to RN/RN, but MA/RN/MA might be less than 3xRNs because of the puzzling ... interesting ...

speaking of stacking-- how about a signo center, with two outboard radians? the radian shells might fit behind the signo wings?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC