Question Better behavior..5-point or booster?

Does your child have better behaviors in a booster or 5-point?

• Booster

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 5-point

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

mommaon112903

Poll to come

I have noticed in the past month that Josef is MUCH better behaved in his booster than in his Regent. He sits wonderfully in his booster, just like a little prince :D On the other hand in his Regent he turns into a wild child :mad: He is begging for a booster in my car and I am holding out for his sixth b-day to make the full-time switch. I want to see what else is coming out, particullarly the Cybrex as the Oobr is out of the budget and hubby thinks it is a "fugly" seat :(

Is this common for kiddos or is Josef just testing the waters and this is his way of saying "I'm done with the Regent, give me a booster already"?

ADS

bubbaray

Hmmm, not sure how to vote. My DD#1 is well behaved in her GN, her Monterey and her former RN.

She really REALLY loves her Monterey, though, and begged for one after I borrowed Quasee's for two weeks. She knew that if she d/n behave in the booster, she wouldn't get one.

cmm7

I voted for Z. She is much more relaxed in the 5-point because I don't need to remind her to sit right. When I am constantly reminding her she becomes a whining mess which makes her even less likely to sit correctly.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd keep him in the Regent until he outgrows it.

He is just SO light, I can't imagine boostering a child under 40 pounds full time. I'm not comfortable boostering my kids full time until they are over 50 pounds.

momto2princes

If I were you I would stick with your original idea of his birthday before you switch him full time. If you are committed to that then tell him maybe knowing that he is going to get the booster full time in a few months will be enough to put a halt on the behaviour.

How long as he been in the booster part time or how often does he get to ride in it? Just curious in case the novelty hasn't worn off yet!

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
How exactly is his behavior poor in a 5 pt? DD really wants to move to a booster full time and I am sure she would be fine. She just turned 6 and is 47 lbs. But, we have the Frontier so I'm holding out for a bit longer.

mommaon112903

He has been in his booster part time since March...and in the Regent more recently since school is out and we go to the pool at least 3x/week.

He moves EVERYWHERE in his Regent....legs in the air, arms flying around everywhere, leaning over to get his "things", etc.

The way Josef gains weight, or should I say gains then loses weight, he will not reach 50lbs for a LONG time. He is 38lbs on a good day currently, and yes boostering under 40lbs full-time does bother me as well. I had such high hopes for the new Parkway...but it just reminds me of a glorified Turbo and I do not like the Turbo :duck: Then again it will be going in my car and I have the SIP that hubby's car does not. He fits GREAT in his Monterey, but yeah full-time boostering under 40lbs, even just two pounds under, makes my stomach do flip-flops.

This morning we had some pretty rough storms roll thru. We have HUGE oak trees all over our property, so no matter where you park you run the chance of having a branch/limb fall on the car when it is stormy. We heard a "thud" and sure enough there was a branch on hubby's roof :( It was not big, and there is not even a dent in it but as soon as Josef found out he ask "is my new carseat ok? I REALLY like my red carseat!" It is obvious that he wants a booster, huh? :p

And he knows he will get a booster for his b-day...he keeps telling everyone that "when it turns cold again it will be my birthday and I get a red seat for Momma's car"

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter is also boostered (Monterey) in one car and harnessed (Nautilus) in the other, and she has also made clear to me that she much prefers the booster. I don't like the Nauti as a booster on her, though, and I'm saving up for another Monterey (okay, honestly, it's not as much of a priority to me as it is to her) and I'll switch her. She's 7yo and 50#, though, and I'm okay with FT booster use at that age and size.

heyruthie

I voted that my DS1 is better behaved in a harness--mostly because it's more confining, and he is doing well with that, after being in a booster and doing poorly. My DS1 is totally oblivious to what other kids are thinking or doing. he's literally impervious to peer pressure at this point. it has its pros and cons. but in terms of CRs, it means he's happy in what's comfy--and that's the bottom line. he was in a booster for almost 6 months, and sat very poorly in it. therefore, earlier this month when i moved DS2 into the back row with him (in anticipation of the new baby's arrival) I bought a used Regent to re-harness him. He and his brother fight. a lot. a LOT. (even though they are best friends!) and I could not risk a fistfight back there. i feel much better knowing they are both harnessed back there, and would have to overcome the harnesses to do serious damage to one another :-/

I'd keep him in the Regent until he outgrows it.

He is just SO light, I can't imagine boostering a child under 40 pounds full time. I'm not comfortable boostering my kids full time until they are over 50 pounds.

i thought this too, until my best friend had to make the decision about her 8 year old who weighs 39 pounds. all the other kids in his class were in NOTHING, and he was supposed to be in a harness? i consoled myself that even with a low body weight, his musculature is still much different from a 39 pound 3 year old.

I wish I could say the same for Julianna, she has out grown all harnesses by height.. well maybe she would fit a regent for a few more months but I can't afford one.. She is almost 7 and I catch her trying to bend over to pick up toys constantly in her parkway.. I always jump on her about it She gets punished for it, and I have threatened to get her a regent.. an empty threat since I can't afford one atm.

the safe kids people actually told me she didn't need a booster anymore:thumbsdown:

SGTex

I voted for harness and that's true for both my kids. Mikey does ride in a booster sometimes and while he sits perfectly, he's more relaxed in the Regent by far. Julia I tried in a booster last week one day while I was washing my car seat covers and she is awful! She is all over the place, even though I laid the law down before we left the house. I had to remind her a thousand times on a short ride. I would stick with what you originally planned.

myliljunebugs

DS was riding in a booster, but was just all over the map behaviorally so I moved him to his old Regent (that was currently being used by little sis). At first he was ticked and threw fits, but after about 2 days he stopped that and just relaxed. Today we had a bday party for him and his sis and took my mom's car, which meant a booster. He was so sad and just wanted to ride in his harness.

DahliaRW

My 4yo is an angel in his booster, because he knows at the slightest inkling of not behaving or sitting properly I'll put him back in his GN and he really doesn't want to be harnessed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC