In desperate need of infant carseats

crystal vowell

I need some help.I have a cousin who's girlfriend is pregnant due any day now with twins & cannot afford an infant seat.:eek: If anyone has one they do not want please send me a pm.The only income they have is my cousin's disability check so I would really be interested if anyone lives in or near south austin to avoid shipping costs.Btw a scenera is out of my budget right now.

ADS

super_grape

Does the hospital that she is delivering in have a free seat program for
low income families? You could also try WIC or the local Safe Kids people.

HTH:) !
Holly

crystal vowell

They're not leaving the hospital without seats. Someone there will see to it that they have them.

Fyi I do not know where you delivered but I spoke to the hospital myself & they will not help you with 2 seats.That is why we are willing to use used seats until tax time.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

What kind of a hospital is that? At our local hospital here they give car seats. They would provide two. What hospital would let a parent go home with only one car seat anyway? Especially a financially strapped parent? Doesn't sound like they are really promoting safety.

scatterbunny

Call your local health department, ask to speak to the WIC department or ask if they have a certified child passenger safety tech on staff (ours does, and we live in a rinky-dink redneck town of about 4,000 people). Through either WIC or the CPS tech they should be able to receive free seats, not just one (they're having twins, for crying out loud!). I can't imagine any agency limiting them to ONE seat when they are having twins. If they do, I would raise holy hell, in all honesty. I understand them limiting help to parents of ONE child needing ONE seat, but not to parents expecting twins. How can they possibly think it's okay to send that family away with one seat?

RubysGirl

Call your local health department, ask to speak to the WIC department or ask if they have a certified child passenger safety tech on staff (ours does, and we live in a rinky-dink redneck town of about 4,000 people). Through either WIC or the CPS tech they should be able to receive free seats, not just one (they're having twins, for crying out loud!). I can't imagine any agency limiting them to ONE seat when they are having twins. If they do, I would raise holy hell, in all honesty. I understand them limiting help to parents of ONE child needing ONE seat, but not to parents expecting twins. How can they possibly think it's okay to send that family away with one seat?

That is exactly my point. They won't let her leave without. Have faith in the powers that be, she will be given, or atleast loaned, seats.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Does she receive finanacial aid of any kind? Has she talked to her caseworker if she does? Here we have a program to give out free seats to moms who need them through our Healthy Start program.

lovinwaves

That is exactly my point. They won't let her leave without. Have faith in the powers that be, she will be given, or atleast loaned, seats.

What would happen if they didn't have a seat for her and she doesn't have one. Do the babies/baby just stay in the hospital? I wonder if this has ever happened. Surely there is someone on Freecycle or Craigslist to help her out. I know here in Kansas City there are a lot of people that would help give out a free carseat.

crystal vowell

Does she receive finanacial aid of any kind? Has she talked to her caseworker if she does? Here we have a program to give out free seats to moms who need them through our Healthy Start program.

They are not allowed because of my cousin's disability check which is not much.

crystal vowell

What kind of a hospital is that? At our local hospital here they give car seats. They would provide two. What hospital would let a parent go home with only one car seat anyway? Especially a financially strapped parent? Doesn't sound like they are really promoting safety.

They live in a place called mudd city a very poor town that sometimes does not even have running water.The town is very poor and does not have many resources for getting help.The twins are still without clothes except what belonged to my daughter which will all be too big I had already given all the little stuff away.The babies will be kept at the hospital not the parents until they have seats & they do not have loaners the town is too poor.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow.

Is there any other family who can help them out a little?

If family could help in any way... If your cousin could get a total of eight outfits (sleepers?) in each size, that should keep the twins clothed adequately. They won't have a lot of extra clothing, but that would give your cousin enough clothes to have an outfit on each baby, a spare or two for accidents, and one in the wash for each baby. They will be doing a lot of laundry, but their babies will have clothes.

Or, even if several family members could each give them $10-$20, they could buy some basics. Do they have a Salvation Army, Goodwill, or other consignment store around them? Sometimes you can get baby clothes for as cheap as $1-$3 per item. I know that is still a lot of money when you need everything in multiples of two, but it would at least give them a start.

Simplysomething

They live in a place called mudd city a very poor town that sometimes does not even have running water.The town is very poor and does not have many resources for getting help.The twins are still without clothes except what belonged to my daughter which will all be too big I had already given all the little stuff away.The babies will be kept at the hospital not the parents until they have seats & they do not have loaners the town is too poor.

I'm going to sound awful, but I don't believe you.

crystal vowell

Wow.

Is there any other family who can help them out a little?

If family could help in any way... If your cousin could get a total of eight outfits (sleepers?) in each size, that should keep the twins clothed adequately. They won't have a lot of extra clothing, but that would give your cousin enough clothes to have an outfit on each baby, a spare or two for accidents, and one in the wash for each baby. They will be doing a lot of laundry, but their babies will have clothes.

Or, even if several family members could each give them $10-$20, they could buy some basics. Do they have a Salvation Army, Goodwill, or other consignment store around them? Sometimes you can get baby clothes for as cheap as $1-$3 per item. I know that is still a lot of money when you need everything in multiples of two, but it would at least give them a start.

The family is trying to get clothes together for them but sorry where they live no goodwill or salvation army:( .The mom is like me she could care less about extra clothes but with only blankets and building a fire for warmth they need some sleepers or something they can't go naked.:p

Simplysomething

You don't have to believe me people like you have no clue what it's like to be so poor.:( Btw I never believed you have kids.:p

That's fine.

But you've only been here since August and have had some sort of drama almost every time you've posted. I'm just leery of folks who always seem to have some sort of horrible thing going on. Especcially when it seems to be from the get-go.

But, still, no, I don't believe that the hospital holds babies hostage, sorry, I just don't. That combined with other things you've said makes me doubt you.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Crystal,

Since Mud City is only four miles from Austin, will your cousin's girlfriend be delivering at a hospital in Austin? If so, that may help her out a bit.

Brackenridge Hospital, a hospital in Austin, accepts patients without insurance and claims to have "social services" for destitute patients. I am wondering if those services could possibly include a free car seat or two.
601 East 15th Street
Austin,TX 78701
512-324-7000

Or maybe she could try the People's Community Clinic. They also claim to have services for uninsured and underinsured.
2909 N. IH 35 Austin, TX 78722
(512) 478-4939

Do you know where your cousin's girlfriend will be delivering?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC