Question Booster Seat Issue - How would you respond

RLN

I wanted to get some input on how to respond to a situation involving a 3 yr. old in a high back booster. Personally, even though he is big, I don't feel he should be in a booster. His mother posted a pic of him in his HBB eating an ice cream cone and I noticed that the shoulder strap is behind his head and she is only using the lap portion of the seatbelt to restrain him. I commented that I hoped the shoulder belt was behind his head because they were parked to eat the ice cream as I would hate to see a child injured in an accident because they were not properly restrained. She responded "LOL, you know me, I am country."

How would you respond to her comment? I seem to recall seeing some posts on here in the past about a video showing issues of not properly restraining. Any thoughts. I would really like to show this person the seriousness of this issue.
Thanks.

ADS

MommyBoha

umm.. Im country to. Redneck..and all that and you wont catch me putting a 3 year old in a booster. That pisses me off b/c it makes country people seem ignorant. being"country" is no excuse for endangering your child.

Id point that out to her. Show her Belle's gift on youtube.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Is this someone you know well? If so, I'd get on the phone and talk to ther about the dangers of a child in a lap only belt. Booster vs harness aside, a child in a booster must use a l/s belt or they will be seriously injured in a crash.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Another redneck weighing in -- I generally try to limit the unsolicited advice to immediate safety concerns and not best practice standards -- a "big" 3yo is probably legal and at least minimally safe in a highbacked BPB. I would tell her that a child restrained by a lap belt only is at risk of "seatbelt syndrome" if all the crash forces are directed into his abdomen.

RLN

Thanks for all of the advice. I did send her a link to the Belle's gift. The person is more of an acquaintance (my sister-in-law's sister-in-law).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC