Compact double stroller recommendations, please!

SPJ&E

I just posted about the Safety 1st Transit Tandem and am now not sure about getting it. What other double strollers should I look into?

I have a very small car, so the stroller must have a compact fold. I "think" I would like a tandem stroller, so that it will be easier to fit through aisles in stores and what-not. Is there a side-by-side double stroller than can do that? I don't want to spend any more than $150-$200.

I'd love everyone's input and recommendations! Thanks!

ADS

SPJ&E

I would really prefer to have a side-by-side, actually...I'm just afraid of it not fitting through store aisles and smaller places I want to go (I'd like to use the stroller for vacations). I really like the idea of both of my boys being able to see really well and from what I've read, the side-by-sides are much easier to push than tandems.

I'm just looking for any recommendations...tandems or side-by-sides, as long as they are compact and aren't too expensive!

drjanetm

Sorry, can't help with the Inglesina, but when I was in the market for a double, I had pretty much decided on the Combi Twin Savvy (before I discovered the P&T E3). I didn't want a tandem due to steering difficulty issues, and a friend with 15mo twins had had her Combi since they were born and it was still in great shape and she loved it. My other options were the Maclaren Twin Traveller and the Peg Perego Aria Twin - ruled out the Peg as I didn't like that it didn't have center wheels, and in the end ruled out the Maclaren as the Combi was cheaper for the same functionality.

Not sure of prices of the Combi, maybe still too much $$$ for your budget, but that was my "basic" research!

I believe Graco does a side-by-side - that would probably fall in budget, I just never looked at Gracos for some reason...!

skaterbabs

I had the Graco side-by-side and LOVED it. It was big and heavy, but I never had a problem witting through doors (it's 3" narrower than a standard door.) It also steered very well with a 4 mo old and a LARGE 2 yo. It was around $130 at BRU, but I've not seen it there recently, only online.

It also fit just fine in the trunk of my Hyundai Excel, with enough room for groceries too.

mominabigtruck

I had the Graco side by side duorider also and loved it. I used it with a newborn and a large 4 year old and didn't have any problems. It also has dual reclining seats and canopies. And it folded smaller the my quattro tour does. I think you can still get them at baby depot, I got mine at a garage sale for $10 so I don't know how much they are in the store.

skaterbabs

That was one of my favorite parts of the stroller - it had HUGE baskets. When the kids were little, and wearing different sizes in diapers, I would carry seperate diaper bags and stash each one under the appropriate child. When they were older and in the same size diapers, I could stash the BIG diaper bag under one side and coats and other junk on the other.

lovinwaves

For some reason I find side by sides hard to push. I think it is just because I am use to tandem. On Maclaren's website they make a point of telling you why they don't make tandems, here is what they say....

Why don’t you make a tandem-style twin?
There are two reasons that Maclaren does not make a tandem-style twin. First, Maclaren is known for their compact, 3-D style fold and it is not possible to have a 3-D fold with a tandem-style twin buggy. Second, with a tandem-style twin buggy, the weight you are pushing is so far out in front of you it is difficult to push or steer. A side-by-side twin keeps the weight of the babies closer to the person pushing the buggy, thus making it easier to manoeuvre. Try this: when you go to the shop to look at buggies, put a weight in the front seat of a tandem and try to push it. Then put the same weight in one side of the Maclaren twin and push it. You will feel the difference! Plus, Maclaren twins fit through standard doorways!

sirrahn

I have a Twin Swift and used to have an older model of the Graco double linked above.

I much prefer the Swift, but the Graco was fine. It folded flat, but still big and only had full recline and upright for the seats. The Swift is a lot more compact folded and we really use the various recline positions. I've used it from the time my youngest was a newborn with an extra insert to keep her snug and it was great. The sunshade isn't great on either of those strollers. The storage on the Graco is better, but I never have had a problem with the Swift either. You can hang bags on the umbrella handles too at least.

HTH!

skipspin

When I was looking for a double I had decided on either a new twin swift (they were on sale for $199 free shipping) or a gently used mac twin traveller (off ebay or swap or craigslist) since I could get one shipped for $200. I really liked that the swift had three handles.

I ended up not getting one at all since I didn't get pregnant right away, but if I needed one those would still be my choices. I don't think the transit tandem is bad for what it is, but I wanted something I didn't have to use with an infant seat, and for a newborn I wouldn't have wanted to use it without one for 3 months or so.

didymama

i have 2 doubles. one is the graco side by side that i got off the side of the road-all it needed was a REALLY good cleaning. the other is a jeep side by side. if you have a small car and a small budget i wouldl ook at that one. DH loves it. it folds umbrella style. i remove the canopies. no storage space really, but a good double if you need one.

my single is a Maclaren Quest which i love. it is the only one i have found that my oldest can't escape from and it has a high weigh tlimit. againg no really storage space, but that doesn't bother me. it also folds up small and is quite comfy.

lovinwaves

I purchased a used Peg-Perego P3 Pliko for about $90 on Craigslist. This stroller has been great for us, because it is so lightweight, and a breeze to push and foldup. It is like a double because Peyton can ride on the back of a built-in ride plate while Camden is sitting in front. Then she can just hop off and walk for a little and then hop back on when I tell her to. This sure beats a HUGE double stroller. I still have my Graco Duoglider that I am letting a friend borrow, that is my major trip stroller. But the P3 is a great stroller for shopping because it handles like a single. We have alot of people ask us what kind of stoller it is because there just isn't a lot of Peg's around here where I live. In fact I have never seen one in person :eek: Most people like that the older child can just "hitch a ride" whenever. Good luck stroller shopping!! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC