Q for ERFer's please!

momto2princes

If you have a or had a child that erf'd I am curious what their stats were when they outgrew the seat rfing weight wise. What was their height at the time? I hope that question makes sense.

Thank you

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I honestly don't remember. My second outgrew the seat at the weight limit, not by height, but she was in a Radian (at the time, tallest shell on the market. Now joined by the True Fit.)

I didn't pay attention to overall height, because seats aren't actually outgrown rear-facing by the stated height limit. That's more of an average, a guideline. They are outgrown when the rear-facing weight limit is reached, or the child has less than 1 inch of hard shell above her head.

momto2princes

Thanks!

I am aware of the "rules" I was just trying to decide between seats and debating if the their may be a need for the tallest shell based on my sons age.

I am in limbo between the Radian XT or the new Marathon CS that is coming out next month here in Canada. I am going to upgrade his current seat to one of these as his seat has a 30lbs rear facing limit and as far as I know both of those have a 35lbs limit. I am just wondering what his height might be like when he finally outgrows it weight wise because he gains weight really slowly but seems to be growing like a weed height wise. I just don't want to make the wrong decision! LOL

emandbri

Elizabeth is now 35 lbs and 36 inches and has about 4 inches above her head in a FF marathon and about 6 in a FF radian. I bought a my ride but I'm not happy with the install so she is forward facing for now :(

momto2princes

Elizabeth is now 35 lbs and 36 inches and has about 4 inches above her head in a FF marathon and about 6 in a FF radian. I bought a my ride but I'm not happy with the install so she is forward facing for now :(

Good to know the height difference between the two.

My son turned 3 in April and is currently 28lbs clothed in the middle of the day and about 38.5" tall. I want to upgrade his MA to a seat that RF until 35lbs. I just don't want to make the wrong choice (RNXT or MAcs).

natysr

Our marathons rearface to 33 pounds.

Jordan is 32 pounds, 4 years, 10 months and 40 inches.

We went ahead and turned him FF at 32 pounds, because we did not want to weight him every day.

cookie123

You could use a growth chart to predict height and weight, if he's been following a curve at a certain percent.

momto2princes

You could use a growth chart to predict height and weight, if he's been following a curve at a certain percent.

Well isn't the the most genius idea that I hadn't thought about! Thank you I will go find one right now. Sincerely thank you for thinking of that!!!

romanoma

It is a good idea for predicting weight, however as previously stated, overall height can be so deceiving b/c one 40 inch child may be all legs, another all torso. two children of the same height may have several inches differences in torso height, making one child outgrow a seat many months before the other.

There is no growth curve for torso height, how I wish there were!!!!! It would make seat selection much easier.

Ali

DD was 38.5 inches tall and 32ish pounds last summer at 3 1/2 years when she was turned FF permanently. She is all torso, so was very close to outgrowing by height if she hadn't been so close to the 33 lb weight limit.

bubbaray

Are you sure the MA CS will have a RFg weight limit higher than 30lbs in Canada???? I'd check on that.

My DD#2 just recently outgrew her Cdn MA with a 30lb RFg weight limit. She's still RFg in her other Cdn MA with a 33lb RFg weight limit. I might have kept her in the 30lb RFg MA as she was 29.9lbs and her weight fluctuates on any given day. However, I couldn't get a good install for that seat in DH's new Toyota Tacoma truck, so I made the parental decision that (with a new, safe truck with loads of airbags and excellent crash tests results) at age 2.5, she was fine to move FFg.

AFAIK, the only seats with a high RFg limit in Canada are the TrueFit and the RN XT. The Boulevard might go to 35lbs, but I can't find the info on the Britax site and I don't trust the Canadian retailers to have the true CAnadian specs and not just copy the US ones, KWIM? I'm 99% sure that all versions of the MA, as well as the Diplomat, only go to 30lbs RFg here.

ETA: the newer 3n1s might have a higher than 30lb RFg limit. Not sure about that

momto2princes

Are you sure the MA CS will have a RFg weight limit higher than 30lbs in Canada???? I'd check on that.
She's still RFg in her other Cdn MA with a 33lb RFg weight limit.

It isn't on the Britax site yet so I plan to call them on Monday to find out forsure. One site says it does (http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item12979.htm ) and another site says it doesn't.

Which cdn MA goes to 33lbs? I though they will all just 30 at the moment (that is why I was excited to see the possible 35lbs).

bubbaray

The older (but still not expired) MAs go to 33lbs. I have two, with different DOMs. One goes to 33, the newer one to 30lbs.

Jan06twinmom

We just turned my DD forward-facing a couple of weeks ago. She is 4 years 5 months old. She weighed 33lbs fully dressed and is 38in tall.

Melanie

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
DD just turned FFing a couple weeks ago. Her stats in my siggy are current to then - She weighed in on the house scale between 30-32lbs, and she rode in
33lb Radians. She's almost 39 inches tall (were at the amusement park and got measured about 100 times today). She still has tons of room above her head in the Radian, but the weight was too close.

Erika Ruth

We use Marathons. We've had to switch one child for height at almost 3, and FF hight at almost 6, She's 40lbs.

the middle for weight very soon... and are about 1/2 inch on hight at 3.5 years old. She's 31.8lbs

My middle and younger fit in the SS1 at 18m.

blurkt

I don't remember heights. Both of my kids outgrew my MA by weight (33 lbs) rather than height. If you're going to use the seat forward facing later, my oldest (long torso) outgrew her MA by height at about 5 years /42 lbs, so higher torso height might buy more time ff.

Julie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
US Marathons went to 33 pounds until 2/08, then they switched to 35 pounds. Canadian Marathons have never gone above 30 pounds I don't think.

I'd also look into the True Fit. It has a 35 pound rear facing limit in Canada and a taller shell. The tallest shell in both countries, in fact, for convertible seats.

Piper was 4y8m old and I don't know, 36/37"? maybe when she outgrew her Britax Wizard by weight (close enough, she was 31.5 pounds naked and it had a 33 pound limit). She fit rear facing into her Radian at five years and 32.5 pounds. Now at nearly seven and 40 pounds she'd still fit rear facing in a True Fit. I haven't put her in her Radian recently enough to see if she'd still fit rear facing, but it'd be pretty darn close. I'd definitely look into the True Fit, though. I don't know what the prices are like up north, but here the True Fit is $150-$190, the Radian 65 is $200, and the Marathon CS is $310. The True Fit has a seven year lifespan, 17.5" top slots and 35 pounds rear, 65 pounds forward. The Radian has an eight year lifespan, 17.5" top slots, I don't know if they're 30 or 35 pounds in Canada rear facing, and 65 pounds forward. The Marathons have just shy of 17" top slots, six year lifespan, and I think 30 pounds rear and 65 pounds forward in Canada.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC