So my baby turned out to be a big one...what seat instead of SS1?

abckidsmom

My babe was born last week, weighing 11 lb 14 oz. She fits just fine in the SS1, but I don't really want to be lugging it in and out of my 12 pass E350 van, it's a pain to lift it that high to snap it in the base.

My other two little kids were rfing in a MA and a TF, but they're both FFing now (3 and 2 yo...the 2 yo is a chunk). Knowing that the kids tend to reach 35 lbs and need to be turned around because of weight, not height (although they are plenty tall, too, it was weight that was the deciding factor for them), should I try to convince dh to get the MR65?

The other option is to rf the baby in the MA and get the 3 yo a GN, which would be good/bad...the MA is enormous rfing, and currently is in the first back seat row, behind the passenger seat, which would be a PITB for the passenger (me, whenever dh is with us).

Currently, I have the 3 yo ffing in the MA, behind the driver, 2 yo ffing in a TF in the middle, and the baby behind the passenger in a SS1. The second row has 5 yo in a GN, pass outboard and 6.5 yo in a TB driver outboard. We don't have the third bench in the van right now, so we need to work this out with the two benches. The good thing is that I can do 3 across of *anything* but I'd prefer to not have a seat installed beside my TB kid in case she might accidentally unbuckle the carseat instead of her seat belt.

Any advice about rearranging or switching out seats? You know I'd just hate ;) to have to buy a new seat...:)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Congratulations! Does this baby's name start with an E? :)

Based on what you said about your children's sizes, perhaps the MyRide would be a good seat. Would your two-year-old be able to fit in it RF?

sirrahn

Why do you have to lift the SS1 if you continue to use it? Just leave it in the van all the time and use it like a convertible. That way too at least you do have the option to take it out if you really don't want to interrupt a nap or something.

Not that I'd necessarily discourage a new seat, but I've heard that argument about infant seats so much, and I've just never understood it. DD2 rode in her Latch-loc until 15 months, but I almost never took it out of the van after she could sit up on her own at 6 mo.

Just a thought!

MomE

You know, you don't HAVE to take the SS1 in and out of the car. You can just leave it snapped in...seeing as how you are mentioning seats that don't snap in and out anyway.... That could buy you some time to wait for other, maybe better, seats.... But this is coming from someone who is in love with the SS1. I'm having a hard time getting rid of it now that my daughter is pretty much out of it and into another seat....

zactayaus

I feel your pain. My 7 week old is 12lbs and in an SS1 (my other kids didn't reach 12lbs till they were 3-4 month old). I have a suburban and he is in the middle second row. That thing is getting to be quite the beast to lift up and over other seats to snap it in. I've been doing a lot of baby wearing with this little one and just leaving the SS1 in the truck.

Could you just leave it in your van instead of buying a new seat? But I totally understand if you just want a new seat.:p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd use the SS1 as a convertible and save up for the MyRide (or wait for the better colors to come out!) By the time she's done in it you might even have more choices for HWRF seats (did i just make up a new abbreviation? Higher-weight rear-facing)-- okay, not likely, but we can dream, right? ;) In any case you'll have more color choices and any kinks in the MR will have time to be worked out!

cookie123

I'd probably continue to use the SS1 and leave it in the car, and get the My Ride for the 2 year old to rf in if he fits. When baby outgrows the SS1, pass the My Ride down.

abckidsmom

Congratulations! Does this baby's name start with an E? :)

Based on what you said about your children's sizes, perhaps the MyRide would be a good seat. Would your two-year-old be able to fit in it RF?

I hadn't thought of getting the MR for the 2 yo and letting the baby use the TF. That's a good plan. And I love how cute the TF is without the headrest rfing. I'm just smitten with it.

I really just want to get a new seat, although I understand that we don't really have to.

The 2 yo is 36 lbs, but he's gotten to that point in life where he doesn't eat a whole lot, to I expect him to gain slowly for the next few months at least. Maybe I'll go by BRU to try him in the MR. Hmmmm....

And the baby's name is Elizabeth. Gotta get my siggy updated.

zactayaus

I personally liked the MR better than the TF when I checked them both out at BRU a couple of weeks ago. The TF was just so wide. But that's just my own opinion.

Dragoness

No advice but congrats on your baby girl! 11lbs 14ozs? really? Thats only the second time i have heard of that "in person" and not in a story, article etc. Wow!

abckidsmom

No advice but congrats on your baby girl! 11lbs 14ozs? really? Thats only the second time i have heard of that "in person" and not in a story, article etc. Wow!

Yeah, and can I brag a little bit? She was born at home. ;) I'm on a little "I can do *anything*" high right now.

abckidsmom

I personally liked the MR better than the TF when I checked them both out at BRU a couple of weeks ago. The TF was just so wide. But that's just my own opinion.

How about whether the harness adjustor is as buried with the MR65...does anyone know about that? I HATE the TF adjustor being buried like it is...

heyruthie

How about whether the harness adjustor is as buried with the MR65...does anyone know about that? I HATE the TF adjustor being buried like it is...

i just installed a RFing MR on Friday, and the harness adjuster wasn't nearly as buried as it was on the TF I saw a few weeks ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC