Rest Upright Pillow - aftermarket - safe?

Girly_Qs

I've seen a few threads about safe(r) pillow options to prevent the lolling head while napping (toddler coddler seems to be favored?), but I'd never seen one with THIS:

The Rest Upright Pillow
http://www.restuprightpillow.com/

Now, I'm certainly NOT a tech, but in my lay-person's brain, this looks 'okay' to me since it doesn't seem to impede the function of the *seat* in any way. I can't quite tell what they intend those 'buckle-y' looking things on it to do, as the pics I see just show a child *holding* it with their hands through the little pocket (kind of 'muff' style).

What do y'all think?

ADS

mommaon112903

I can not really tell much from the photos :eek: Other than the children pictured are not booster age and the one looks like the lap belt is actually a tummy belt. They could have used better photos, but their product is "intended for children 3-6yrs of age"...I guess this is when a lot of people are using boosters and then by the time they are six they are not in anything. At least that is what it is like around here-if a child is lucky to get to age six in a booster! :mad:

Josef always takes his "favorite pillow" which is a sweater with a fire truck on it that a good friend made into a pillow for him. PERFECT size to bring in the car with him for long trips.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That looks fine to me, though I'd use it in a harnessed seat, not a booster! As long as your kid is old enough (3-6 is fine for most kids) to be able to move the thing if they start to smother (again, not for kids with special needs, or sleep apnea or anything that might interfere with breathing while asleep to begin with, IMO.)

Girly_Qs

Well, I have 2 dd's, that I'd be interested in this for (for our December Disney trip mostly, so I'll list their ages at the time of the trip) -

3.5yo harnessed in a Regent

7yo in an Oobr (well, she likely will be then - it's on order now!), she's not boostered yet but I tend to think she'll prefer using the child lock on the shoulder belt once she is.

I see what you mean about preferring it with a harness (so that *any* amount, no matter how slight it might be, of forward lean couldn't 'displace' them from the harness/belt). But, do you think it would be 'out of bounds' for the 7yo? I don't know how much she'll sleep, but it's definitely not out of the question (8 boring hours in the car and all!).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for sleeping comfort for an older child in a booster?

Maybe we'll do 1 Rest Upright and 1 Kid Coddler?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, no, I meant for little kids.

I have no problem with it for a 7 y.o. in a booster (and no problems with a neurotypical 7 yo in a booster.) I was saying for the kids on THAT site I'd harness them, lol!

Of course, 7 year olds tend to sleep a lot less than little ones, anyway. But for long trips it looks like it would be nice. And if she's likely to sleep, I would definitely lock her belt if you can, as long as it's allowed by the booster manufacturer (meaning not specifically DIS-allowed.)

skaterbabs

Nope. If you have a kid who slumps when they fall asleep in the car, then that child needs to use a high back booster when they are likely to fall asleep.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know that that's practical for all kids, though. I mean, if there's a harnessed seat that holds them, great. But I slump when I sleep in the car (and I do often.) I lock my belt-- and don't slump any more. Eventually, kids get too big to practically be harnessed (if they don't have special needs that mean there is no other solution for safe transport.)

I wish I had a pillow that might prevent crick-in-the-neck from hanging on my seatbelt.

Girly_Qs

There's no question the (then) 7yo will be in (at least) a high-back booster - whether we use a pillow like this, another type, or none at all.

She's currently in a Regent, but we just pre-ordered her an Oobr in anticipation of moving her before too long. She's on the top harness slots of the Regent, and her little sister is almost ready to move out of her Marathon and take over the Regent.

The more I look at the options though, the more I think something along these lines might be the only thing to work for us. I just don't think the Kid Coddler would *fit* between the side wings of the Oobr.

Truthfully, I don't know how much she might 'slump' simply because it's been *ages* since she's slept in the car. But, with a long (8hr), boring ride . . . well, I know *I* get groggy riding that long so I can't rule it out for her too!

skaterbabs

Some boosters contain car sleepers better than others, so just be aware of that when you're making your choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC