ERF

U

Unregistered

Hi. Me again(Nautlius for an 18 month old).

I was watching a video you ladies posted and it tugged BIG time with my Mama guilt.

Currently we have 2 carseats. A Britax Blvd for our main car. Center seat, RF now. And a Graco Nautlius that is used when my husband picks up our daughter from daycare and drives the 3 minutes to home.

So, I know that statistically most accidents happen within 2 miles of home- so my thoughts were this..

I could return the Nautlius(been using is less than a month for a total of 1 hour of use) IF I can get my box back(my friend has it as I used it to give my maternity clothes to) I'd return the Natulius and go with something like a Triumph or a Marathon.

Is that horrible? To return the seat after using? I mean it's never been in so much as a fender bender and is almost NEVER used- but I feel guilty-

But the alternative is being out over 400 bucks when I figure out what new seat to get her for my husbands truck.

Ughh. And BTW- he has a pickup and she rides front seat w/ the airbag off. Is that safe? I mean- our options are SO limited in that area as he HAS to be the one to pick her up because I cannot make it from my work to her daycare by 6PM.

ADS

MomToEliEm

Since it probably has the tags all removed and hopefully you sent in the registration notice on it already (or registered the seat online), it might be best not to return it since it was a month since you bought it and it really isn't in a condition that the store can resell it in (missing tags and possibly box may not be in the best of shape).

Try selling it on craigslist. You might get most of your money back if you indicate how little it was used and how new a seat it is.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd do CL as well.

ESPECIALLY for an 18 month old who must ride in the front seat, provided you are positive the airbags are off I'd go for rear facing. The back seat provides 40% additional protection to anyone riding there just by being the back seat. So having to have her ride in the front I'd fight doubly hard to get her rear facing. But only if you're positive about the airbags. Well, neither is ideal. A rear facing seat with an airbag going off behind it can decapitate the child. A forward facing seat too young can cause internal decapitation. But if you are positive the airbags are off (as in a switch, not just a sensor) then I'd do a rear facing seat there and feel much better about it than forward facing in the front seat.

Wendy

Evolily

I'd also sell it on CL. I wouldn't put her FF again unless it was an emergency. You can buy a more affordable seat like the cosco scenera or safety 1st avenue if cost is a concern. Good luck!

Blondie87

I returned my Nautilus to Wal-Mart after using it for like a week or 2, and I didn't have a box. Wal-Mart's not so good about that...

U

Unregistered

I got it at a Target, and they're a bit more selective on returns. I have all the original tags.

His truck he has to put in a key to turn the airbag off so pretty sure it is.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do not think it would be an ethical thing to do to return a used seat simply because you changed your mind. That cost eventually gets passed on to other consumers. Sell it on Craigslist or ebay -- or if you know people whom you trust to have taken care of their carseats, you may have a friend who would like to swap a Nautilus for a convertible if she has kids who are outgrowing convertibles. :)

I agree that she should be RF if the airbags are manually deactivated, and that a Scenera or an Avenue are reasonably priced seats.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You've already got great advice for your questions; I just want to give you a :2thumbsup: for wanting to keep your daughter as safe as possible. :)

U

Unregistered

Thanks! We sold it on Craigslist in one day for 100 dollars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC