Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

Infant with helmet question

I have a friend who's baby(5 months old) is going to need a helmet to help his flat spot. He is getting close to outgrowing his infant seat by height(has about 2" space left). I know we need the 1" of shell above his head but does that mean before the helmet or do we need to add that? She's trying to keep him in the seat as long as possible since she has twins and it's easier for her to carry them in that way.

TIA!
    Janet - CPST
    DD1 11 yrs 68lbs / DD2 - 11 yrs - 69lbs / DS -9 yrs - 53lbs
    Only one left in backless Monterey
    My car seat days are almost over

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Infant with helmet question

If it were my child, I would want to be a little extra cautious, and include the helmet in the equation.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Senior Community Member

I'm not sure if there's a "right answer" to this one, but I think I would err on the side of caution and count the helmet when looking at shell height. Would it be possible for her to switch just the one in a cranial band out of his infant carrier and leave the other so she at least has one in a carrier or do they both need bands?
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

Senior Community Member

Yes, I'd definitely include the helmet.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

CPS Technician

Thanks! We moved him to a convertible seat since he was too close to being too long with the helmet for his Snugride.
    Janet - CPST
    DD1 11 yrs 68lbs / DD2 - 11 yrs - 69lbs / DS -9 yrs - 53lbs
    Only one left in backless Monterey
    My car seat days are almost over

I would err on the side of caution too and count the helmet. But if she is adament about using the infant seat what about buying a safeseat to keep in the carrier mode.

Carseat Crazy

oh man, i had not even thought of this. cassius is in a snugride and needing a helmet. i was hoping we'd make it through the summer in the snugride but now i'm not sure...
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I talked to my mom (craniofacial nurse) yesterday evening, and she said she would include the helmet in the measurement because the helmet is not protective or anything. She asked me what the 1 inch rule is for, and I said to prevent the child from ramping up out of the seat and sustaining injury. She said, in that case, you do need to include the helmet in the measurement, because if it is hit it will transfer forces directly to the child's head-- it's not energy-absorbing like EPS foam in a bike helmet.

She also said that if possible, a child with a halo should have shell over the equipment as well as the head, too, now that she thinks of it.

Of course she also said that if the child has positional plagiocephaly she would highly recommend moving to a convertible because that way mom will HAVE to take the baby out of the seat when leaving the car. She has kind of a thing against babies being carried around in infant seats. I think it might be genetic.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!