News Dorel's response:thumbsdown:

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm still angry about this, and dumbfounded as to what their motive was in even issuing that release. Are they trying to appeal to all the parents who think ERF is too extreme, or what?

I did a google news search, and it looks like Dorel just named a new president to their Juvenile group on Thursday. Maybe this was his bizarre way of announcing his presence with authority?

U

Unregistered1

Dorel has officially lost my business. Whereas I was considering an Avenue for the baby, I will spend the extra to buy an EFTA or a My Ride. Majorly lame.

Are there any non-car seat dorel brands that we should be aware of, you know, to NOT buy??

Erika Ruth

The problem is, their priority is sales, not keeping kids safest. In the non-carseat world, those words make total sense. They will affirm beliefs that parents have, and will SELL more seats. Thinking "See.... this company is cutting through the safety B.S. and is saying that I am not an evil parent for turning my child".

Seriously, ALL my friends here think I am insane on the car seats. EVEN the ones who have been in serious crashes. I don't get it. I try to do what I can to keep my kids safe. But everyone has different standards of safety. So, yes, a manufacturer should promote best practice, but if they can get away with "bare minimum" and sell more seats, well, so be it. They won't be getting any recs from me.

Erika

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The problem is, their priority is sales, not keeping kids safest. In the non-carseat world, those words make total sense. They will affirm beliefs that parents have, and will SELL more seats. Thinking "See.... this company is cutting through the safety B.S. and is saying that I am not an evil parent for turning my child".

Seriously, ALL my friends here think I am insane on the car seats. EVEN the ones who have been in serious crashes. I don't get it. I try to do what I can to keep my kids safe. But everyone has different standards of safety. So, yes, a manufacturer should promote best practice, but if they can get away with "bare minimum" and sell more seats, well, so be it. They won't be getting any recs from me.

Erika

No, I get that they're all about sales, but if they don't want to buy into the ERF "hype," why not decide to just not actively promote it? Why issue a statement outright bashing it?

I'm mad.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Are there any non-car seat dorel brands that we should be aware of, you know, to NOT buy??

Under at least the brands Safety 1st and/or Eddie Bauer they make a ton of things from gates to potties to those little animal harness backpacks. They probably have more brands, too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Here's a link to Dorel's product segment page.

As well as kids' products under the Safety 1st, Cosco, Maxi-Cosi, Quinny, and other brands in the U.S. and licenses from Disney and Eddie Bauer (in Europe also Babidéal, Bébé Confort, Baby Relax and MonBébé; in Australia bertini, Bootiq, Mother's Choice, Go Safe, ZuZu, Quinny, Safety 1st and Pearhead Keepsakes and licenses from Disney, Peter Rabbit, Holden, Spot, and Car Safety licenses from Aunger, Barbie, Hi 5, Dora the Explorer, Thomas the Tank Engine, and The Wiggles) they make bicycles and leisurewear under the following brand names: Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP. They also make home and office furniture under the Cosco Home & Office, Dorel Home Products and Dorel Asia brand names.

Just in case any of you are feeling up to an all-out boycott. ;)

momof3monkeys

not exactly sure why you all are surprised by this. the company has always stunk, too many recalls and too many bad judgements on their part that could have and had resulted in injuries in children, such as knowing they had a problem with (and i dont know which ones it was a few years ago) their strollers, baby swings, and i think it was a high chair or car seat so they changed the color and name and left the same problem!!! a few years ago when i called the juvenile product safety division to hear about a recent recall of my fisher price baby mobile, a message came on the phone that said in a loud voice mind u "attention consumers cosco child safety company has changed their name to durrel child safety" now why do u think that they felt the need to announce that?

in addition, safety first, anything eddie bauer (its just the cloth design people)
as far as i can tell, is cosco. or im sorry now durrell.

theres another one too isnt there? i have always thought their seats were junk and have had plenty of freinds who didnt listen to me find out the hard way and with no great company to back up their product they soon found out they were out of luck and out of money.

not worth the time it takes to talk about them honestly.

skaterbabs

Dorel isn't the only company not on the ERF bandwagon. The MyRide notwithstanding, Graco hasn't been either. I had a conversation with the Graco rep on the CPS list in which she insisted that Graco was doing GREAT! because of the 30 lb limit on the Crappysport and how that was SUCH and improvement over the old 20 lb limits and so on.

Melizerd

Oh there are several companies that aren't on the bandwagon but coming out purposefully AGAINST it seems ludicrous to me. It's the nail in the coffin for me I guess.

mommycat

Where is the puking icon. I'm DISGUSTED by this company at this moment.

edit: Anyone have the email handy to email them?
puke.gif

I am also looking for a conact email so we can all send our emails to the same address for more impact. I will even send a separate one from each of my email addresses... ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Their website has a '"contact us" form: http://www.djgusa.com/usa/eng/Comment-Form

Editing out the contact information for the PR people. The guy from the corporate office is looking into it (actually looking into it--not just giving lip service), and the US person probably has nothing to do with it, so I don't want to inundate them. Probably a good idea to send comments via the website, though, so they know that people are upset.

Last edited:

peteetchou

That's awful. I've hated our Scenera since the issue with the plastic spikes abrading the harness, so they sent us a harness that's very stiff and so difficult to tighten that I have to pull it through to the back of the seat by hand while pulling the adjuster strap with the other hand. It won't be usable FF that way so I recently ordered a MA and it should be here in a few days. The Scenera is going to get the axe (or sledge, or whatever tool of destruction I can find...DH just offered his jigsaw) and Dorel is going to get a nastygram from me too.

skaterbabs

Re: Dorel's response:thumbs down:

Think about this as you continue with this line of 5reasoning:

Dorel has the highest FF requirements available on their convertibles AND were the first to offer 35 lb limit seats. Yes, this statement was stupid, but don't cut off the proverbial nose to spite the proverbial face. :two cents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC