What seat has the highest slots?

Mae

I have the Radian65 in mind...
How tall are the highest slots?
Any pros/cons?

Feedback HIGHLY gratefull.

ADS

mommaon112903

IIRC the highest harness slots on all the Radians are approx 18".

They can be quite tricky to install, depending on your vechicle, especially if you have long or rigid belt stalks.

Mae

They can be quite tricky to install, depending on your vechicle, especially if you have long or rigid belt stalks.

Not cool.

Mom has a (I think 2006..) Saturn Ion and dad has a 2001 or so Grand Prix. Any experience in those cars by chance?

jheimes

Sorry, no experience with those cars. I have a RF Radian 65 installed center of a 96 Toyota Camry. I think that the newer Radians with the narrower feet on the base seem to install easier in some vehicles. I would want to try it out in the vehicles before buying if possible.
If you want other high harness heights, you may want to consider the TrueFit also.

Loves2sing

I have no clue about the Ion, but the Radian goes into a Grand Prix very easily. My parents had one. (2005 or 2006 I believe)

It CAN be a tough install, but everytime I have had a hard time, I have just fiddled around, and I have got it in tight. It tends to have more issues with seatbelt installs than with LATCH. If I recall correctly, than I believe that all Ions should have LATCH, because they are a fairly new model for Saturn, less than 10 years, I am sure. If that is the case, then you shouldn't have a problem. There is a successful Radian install thread on here. I will check that for you and see if anyone has tried a Radian in an Ion.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Britax Regent has the highest slots. The Roosevelt is a special-needs seat that actually has the highest, but being that it's not readily available and it's very expensive, it's not usually included in these lists.

The Regent is being discontinued, and after it's gone, I think the Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier will have the highest slots (technically the GNs are higher, but the difference is minimal.)

The Safeguard's next, and then the Radians.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you need a rear- or forward-facing seat? Because there are combination and forward-facing only seats with higher slots than the Radian.

The SafeGuard Child Seat has higher slots than both the Frontier and Nautilus. 19 inches. The Regent at 19 1/2 is the only higher one that's not a special needs seat.

The Radian's, for comparison, are 17 inches or so.

Mae

The seat is for my SIL and my brother. Well, technically it's for their son :p. He'll be three in Sept. and he's really close to the 40 pound mark, therefore they're wanting a booster. Um, no. Ain't no way-not if I can help.

They don't use LATCH, never will. That would be like trying to teach them a foreign language. :rolleyes: They have no interest.

So, that is why I'm looking for the highest slotted seat. Preferably a not-so-expensive one. I'll most likely be the one paying for it unless I want to see him going into that booster. (I know you all :love: to hear that.)

ETA: he's "that kid" with the freakishly long torso too.

lovinwaves

I'm confused :eek: You are wanting to buy them another seat for their son, even though you have already purchased them a Graco Nautilus which they refused to use?

I think you are wasting your time and money, and honestly...I don't think it's your place to tell them what seat their son should be in. Sorry.

Now, if you are wanting to use this seat for when he is riding with you, then why not just use the GN?

Mae

They are buying a booster because it's cheaper. They don't know the hidden dangers for putting a not-even-three year old into a booster. I do not think it is a waste of money if it is my nephews life on the line. They live pay check to pay check, so I see no problem buying him a seat, if the only reason they won't buy him one is the money. I don't understand how you can say I'm wasting my time and money. :twocents:

Loves2sing

Year: 2007
Make/Model: Saturn Ion Quad Coupe

Method of install: Seatbelt rock solid, one full twist needed
Direction of seat: Foward facing
LATCH install not secure due to where seat sits in relation to lower anchors.

Mara
Canadian CRST

(Bolding Mine)

You can also find great tips to installing the Radian here.

Good luck with your brother and SIL!

ETA: Do they still have the GN or is it in your posession? If you have it, or can get it back, I would sell it before I bought them a new seat. :twocents:

mommy2env

They won't use a perfectly safe and appropriate seat they already have. Something you bought too. What makes the next seat any different? If they feel a booster is okay for him, there is nothing you can do. It's their son, and they will do whatever they deem as safe. It's not the best thing they could do, but it also isn't illegal. Sad, but true.

Loves2sing

Maybe before taking the plunge and spending $200 on a seat they may potentially not use, ask them if they would use it if you bought them a new seat.

Mae

They won't use a perfectly safe and appropriate seat they already have. Something you bought too. What makes the next seat any different? If they feel a booster is okay for him, there is nothing you can do. It's their son, and they will do whatever they deem as safe. Sad, but true.

They won't use the GN because at the time I bought it, he was still able to fit in his seats they currently have. It's now for gmas use at her house.
Since they had opposed the GN the first time because it was TOO big in their opinion, I'm looking for OTHER options that have tall slots and are higher weight limits.

Mama Jo

They are buying a booster because it's cheaper. They don't know the hidden dangers for putting a not-even-three year old into a booster. I do not think it is a waste of money if it is my nephews life on the line. They live pay check to pay check, so I see no problem buying him a seat, if the only reason they won't buy him one is the money. I don't understand how you can say I'm wasting my time and money. :twocents:

I have bought my sister seats to use for my nephew. He was in a 22 lb SR and had outgrown it by height but she refused to put him in a convertible because of the convenience of the bucket, so I bought her a SS.

She now has him in a FF seat at 18 months because he grew out of the bucket and that's all she had and I will be selling her (discounted) my EFTA so she can RF him again.

I don't see a problem with it, if they'll use it. And I also don't see a problem being a little "harsher" with close family and friends on carseat education than with a stranger. It all just depends on the dynamics of the relationship and how receptive you think they'll be to the info depending on how it's delivered.

Mae

Maybe before taking the plunge and spending $200 on a seat they may potentially not use, ask them if they would use it if you bought them a new seat.

This is what I plan on doing. :) I figure I'll find some good info on why they should keep him harnessed, then give her some options on good seats. Then I'll offer to help pay.

If she still says no, then I plan to suck it up and watch him go into a booster. I can't force them to use it, but I sure in heck might as well try!

(this is no way supposed to sound snotty...I know tone is hard to detect online)

Mae

I have bought my sister seats to use for my nephew. He was in a 22 lb SR and had outgrown it by height but she refused to put him in a convertible because of the convenience of the bucket, so I bought her a SS.

She now has him in a FF seat at 18 months because he grew out of the bucket and that's all she had and I will be selling her (discounted) my EFTA so she can RF him again.

I don't see a problem with it, if they'll use it. And I also don't see a problem being a little "harsher" with close family and friends on carseat education than with a stranger. It all just depends on the dynamics of the relationship and how receptive you think they'll be to the info depending on how it's delivered.

Thank you for the example. :)

Loves2sing

This is what I plan on doing. :) I figure I'll find some good info on why they should keep him harnessed, then give her some options on good seats. Then I'll offer to help pay.

If she still says no, then I plan to suck it up and watch him go into a booster. I can't force them to use it, but I sure in heck might as well try!

(this is no way supposed to sound snotty...I know tone is hard to detect online)

You sound like an awesome aunt!:love: I wish I had siblings willing to help fund carseats. They all just think I am crazy.:whistle:

Reactions: Mae

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC