I need a REALLLLY simple 1 page explanation

mamabear

why my cousin needs to keep her 10 mo rear facing.

She's saying all the old excuses :

"he likes it better"
"I can see him"
I don't care what the ped says"

She is not going to take the time to read a long explanation about ride down time and crash forces.

I basically need something that talks about neck/spinal injury, why RF ERF is better, and is REALLY simple, but will get the point across.

It has to be something I can print, so no videos, my GM is going to print it and give it to her.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
What about printing off the images from joelsjourney.org? http://www.joelsjourney.org/ViewJoelsvideo.html

It says they should be flyers, but I only see them as images, but maybe you could print the images? There are other resources out there, of course, but maybe seeing a picture of Joel with the info that he was even older than your cousin's baby might be convincing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would include that pic of the comparison of neck bones of an infant vs. an older child, plus a pic of Joel in his halo. I'd also include some stats about risk - how car accidents are the leading killer of children, compared to drowning, falls, etc.

What does she worry about - cancer-causing chemicals in her baby's food? Use that as a comparison - this many kids die every year in crashes, this many die every year from cancer. (Or whatever it is she "worries" about.) If you can, make it more personal for her, yk? Make it a pie chart if you can, too; visuals work better for most people.

mamabear

What does she worry about -.

ugh...she doesn't worry about anything. she just floats through life oblivious to any risks, just whatever most fits her convenience (that's why I have to make it REALLY simple, yet effective, I doubt she'd even read the whole thing:mad:

Kayleen

It's illegal and dead kids don't complain! Would she rather have him happy or alive and in one piece? :( She is the parent who is supposed to do what is safest and best for him.

Are you any kind of mandated reporter? Depending on how your relationship is with her, you could also use the threat to call the cops whenever you know she is out driving around, and they could probably find a reason to pull her over. If the child is not properly restrained, she could/would be ticketed. Maybe social services would like to know what she thinks about the rear facing and how she just doesn't care. Any other issues they maybe should know about?

Good luck!

Mae

If you feel comfortable, you could PM me your email address and I could send you an attachment of a LOVELY ERF pamphlet I made last year!

Mama Jo

Are you any kind of mandated reporter? Depending on how your relationship is with her, you could also use the threat to call the cops whenever you know she is out driving around, and they could probably find a reason to pull her over. If the child is not properly restrained, she could/would be ticketed. Maybe social services would like to know what she thinks about the rear facing and how she just doesn't care. Any other issues they maybe should know about?

Good luck!

Honestly, a cop's not likely to ticket for a FF 10 mo. old. All she has to say is he's a yr. They're not going to ask for a birth certificate and bust out a scale to weigh him. 10 mos. is close enough to not really be able to see the difference.

ETA:

Rear Facing vs. Forward Facing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA&feature=related (crash test)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8&feature=related (Joel’s story)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8&feature=related

I would say these are pretty convincing by themselves without having to read anything.

mamabear

Are you any kind of mandated reporter? Depending on how your relationship is with her, you could also use the threat to call the cops whenever you know she is out driving around,

She lives 5 hours away from me. I don't even know her home address.
What's worse is her DH's brother is a Highway Patrol Officer. I just think this family is way beyond dumb.They all think it's OK to turn him because he is 23lbs and will be 1yr after next month. Sorry, but I've known her since birth, so I have plenty of experience.

I'm not even going to be talking to her. My GM called me upset about it and wants to intervene, but gets confused on the details. I want to be able to just email her something to print out and give her.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You can't see/hear/touch a dead baby. To do a variation of what they said on GMA the other day---Do you want to see _____for a 30 minute car ride or the rest of his/her life?

And sadly we have to remember---"Those who don't believe the laws of physics apply to them, find out that the laws of natural selection do." I have no idea who said that---but I know it wasn't me.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC