Who goes where?

Mama Jo

So I realize the actual safety difference is probably negligible, but I've been going back and forth as to which kid should sit in which seat...

Stats:
DSD2 - 4 yrs old, 42#, approx 16" torso
DSD3 - 2.5 yrs old, 36#, approx 16" torso

DSD2 is taller, but is all legs; DSD3 is shorter and a little chunkier, but all torso, so torso-wise, the pretty much fit the same in every seat.

I have GN and RN, both seatbelt installed.
GN center, no tether.
RN outboard, tethered.

The RN will not install center with enough room for the GN outboard, so this is my only option for seating location.

I can't switch the kids back and forth between seats without uninstalling due to the safe stop issue, so each of them needs a dedicated seat so I know what to do with the safe stop.

Normally, I'd like the heavier kid in the tethered seat, and the least protected (youngest FF) kid in the center. But for some reason I'm leaning toward DSD3 in the RN and DSD2 in the GN. Thinking that maybe the safety of the tether plus the safe stop on the outboard seat kind of balances the safety of the fact that the other seat is in the middle... I don't know.

Who would you put where?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm guessing there's a DK1 in the mix somewhere who is using the other outboard seat?

As far as safety of seating positions, the "extra safety" of the center position only applies to side-impact crashes, and only because you can't pick which side you get hit on (and they tend to run about 50/50, so one side isn't safer than the other.) If you get on the driver's side, the child in the center isn't actually safest - the child on the passenger side is.

So when you're comparing the additional protection of the center position to the additional protection of a top tether, it doesn't really compare very well. The top tether will provide the most protection in a frontal-impact crash, so you're trying to compare two different types of crashes, yk?

Plus, you've got the added complication of whether the child who is heaviest needs the top tether most, or the child with the less-developed spine.

What vehicle is this, and is there any way to retrofit a top tether anchor for the center position? That would be my first recommendation. :)

Mama Jo

I'm guessing there's a DK1 in the mix somewhere who is using the other outboard seat?

Yes. In a turbo booster. DSD1 is drivers side outboard.

As far as safety of seating positions, the "extra safety" of the center position only applies to side-impact crashes, and only because you can't pick which side you get hit on (and they tend to run about 50/50, so one side isn't safer than the other.) If you get on the driver's side, the child in the center isn't actually safest - the child on the passenger side is.

So when you're comparing the additional protection of the center position to the additional protection of a top tether, it doesn't really compare very well. The top tether will provide the most protection in a frontal-impact crash, so you're trying to compare two different types of crashes, yk?

Plus, you've got the added complication of whether the child who is heaviest needs the top tether most, or the child with the less-developed spine.

Yeah... I do kinda realize that... I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to have the younger kid in the seat that seems to be more safely installed, with the top tether and the safe stop... in the outboard position. Basically if the benefit to one instance outweighs the risk in another instance.

The other thing I'm thinking about is that even though the older child is slightly heavier, she's alotta leg... so the slightly younger child has more of her weight percentage in her torso and her head... so being that she has the lesser developed spine, my thinking is that perhaps she does in fact benefit more from the top tether. And also the fact that I have the safe stop available as an added safety feature, makes me feel like I should utilize it if I can.

I know... I'm waaaay overthinking this... lol

What vehicle is this, and is there any way to retrofit a top tether anchor for the center position? That would be my first recommendation. :)

07 Kia Sedona LWB. (Like Gypsy's). And with these seats this is the only configuration that works. The RN doesn't fit center. And the GN hangs over the edge of the seat outboard. The 2 outboard seats have tether anchors, but the passenger side outboard tether anchor isn't being utilized because the Turbo is there. Which makes me want to pull my hair out. And it's my understanding that a vehicle that already has 4 LATCH locations with top tether anchors, that an additional anchor cannot be retrofitted. At least that's what I was told here when I was shopping for a vehicle, which is why I opted for the one with the most top tether anchors.

Defrost

I know... I'm waaaay overthinking this... lol

LOL, yeah, probably. But we're Mommies, that's our job, right? ;)

07 Kia Sedona LWB. (Like Gypsy's).

Oh, that makes it much easier. I can picture exactly what you're talking about! :D You're right, there's no way to retrofit a TA for that seating position. I will admit that *I* have made the parental decision to go against the vehicle manufacturer and the carseat manufacturer (when Gypsy was transporting MY kids) to tether the center carseat to the unused outboard tether anchor. As a tech I can't recommend it, but as a parent, well - it's what I chose.

The GN overhangs when it's outboard? I don't remember that... *off looking for pics* Oh hey, look at that. It does overhang. :thumbsdown:

IMG_1737.jpg

Mama Jo

The GN overhangs when it's outboard? I don't remember that... *off looking for pics* Oh hey, look at that. It does overhang. :thumbsdown:

Yeah... she said that was before they had the no overhang rule. It would make my life a whole lot easier if it didn't overhang (or if they didn't have that stupid rule!) because then I could fit 3 harnessed seats back there, reharness DSD1 (5.5 yrs old) and not have to worry about buckling a booster.

And also, the GN installs alot easier when it's reclined... but then it even overhangs in the center. I just can't decide if I like this seat or not! lol

Defrost

Hm... well, what other harnessed seats do you have? As I recall, the GN in the center still leaves a decent amount of room for the passenger outboard. I'm positive you could fit another Radian there, but I'm guessing you don't have one of those or you'd have tried it already! :D

Mama Jo

Hm... well, what other harnessed seats do you have? As I recall, the GN in the center still leaves a decent amount of room for the passenger outboard. I'm positive you could fit another Radian there, but I'm guessing you don't have one of those or you'd have tried it already! :D

I have a playdate this weekend, and there will be another RN available for me to try. I'm sure that would work. Not that I can afford to buy another RN. LOL. Harness-wise, I have a BV or an EFTA available. I'm pretty sure the BV would work, but either I'd have to buy another one (or a MA) or I'd have to switch them around every other weekend because it's DS' main seat and if I put it in the 3rd row for one of the DSD's, then I'd have to put DS in the EFTA or the SS. The EFTA doesn't work like I thought it would, and I'm thinking of selling it to my sister. If I sell the EFTA, I'd be ok buying a MA. Provided it actually works. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I think it will.

But in doing that, I'd be putting a 55# 5.5 yr old harnessed in the GN without the top tether, as both outboard tether anchors would then be used by the 2 outboard seats. And I kind of almost think she'd be safer in the booster.

Defrost

But in doing that, I'd be putting a 55# 5.5 yr old harnessed in the GN without the top tether, as both outboard tether anchors would then be used by the 2 outboard seats. And I kind of almost think she'd be safer in the booster.

Yeah, that one's hard to say. Boosters do tend to have lower head excursion numbers, and if the booster fits her well and she stays positioned, she could very well be safer in many types of crashes. I think a harness is still safer than a booster in a side-impact, but then we're getting into over-thinking it territory again. ;)

Mama Jo

Yeah, that one's hard to say. Boosters do tend to have lower head excursion numbers, and if the booster fits her well and she stays positioned, she could very well be safer in many types of crashes. I think a harness is still safer than a booster in a side-impact, but then we're getting into over-thinking it territory again. ;)

Maybe I'll just buy one of those Britax Bubbles and just surround my whole vehicle with it. :whistle:

Defrost

Maybe I'll just buy one of those Britax Bubbles and just surround my whole vehicle with it. :whistle:

Nah, those are too expensive. You should just get one of those "I'm a Really Good Driver" bubbles like I have. You never get in a wreck if you have one of those! ;)

Mama Jo

Nah, those are too expensive. You should just get one of those "I'm a Really Good Driver" bubbles like I have. You never get in a wreck if you have one of those! ;)

That's a great idea!! Then I could probably turn DS FF in a couple months. Or maybe even now... I mean he's close to 1 and 20... and the rest of the kids are all over 30 lbs, so backless boosters for everyone!! I could make a fortune selling all my other seats!

((I don't know why we keep quoting each other... no one else is talking to us anyway... lol))

Back on topic... I'll see what combinations I can get this weekend and go from there... in the meantime, I'll probably stick the 2.5 yr old in the RN. That's what instinct is telling me to do anyway...

I think...

Defrost

LOL! Yeah, we're just having our own little chat here. :D

As for the 2.5 yo in the Radian - I wouldn't spit on ya' for it either way, so I vote just go with your instincts. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC