Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

Did you See GMA?

It was just on by me!

It wasn't bad really (not great but not bad). They did say to rear face as long as possible (til 4 they said) and to stay harnessed as well.

BUT they goofed on the on screen stuff that said OR not AND for 1 AND 20. They also slipped up and said the seats went to 45 lbs but I think she really meant 65lbs.

They said pedis say kids are 5 times safer rear facing and they showed the side by side crash test of rfing vs ffing.

It's a start!
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Did you See GMA?

Man, I JUST turned it on! I hate I missed it!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I just posted a big comment on their page so hopefully we see people come here

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ory&id=7818004
    Here's my post:

I urge anyone with questions to stop by www.car-seat.org to talk to certified passenger safety technicians and passenger safety advocates.Even my 97th percentile for height son rear faced until he was 2 years old when he was too tall to rear face. Children fit rear facing if they are under the weight limit AND they have at least 1 inch of hard shell over their head. Kids are super bendy. It's the exact reason that rear facing is so important. Since their bones aren't fully calcified things that would be uncomfortable for us isn't for them. I think that 4 is not quite realistic in the USA/Canada because we only have ONE seat that rear faces to 40lbs, several that rear face to 35 lbs or 33lbs. I think that between 2-3 years old is VERY realistic though and should be strived for. Rear facing is safer for a side impact crash as well as frontal/rear impacts as well. Someone asked about being rear ended. Rear facing is still safer then because the motion is still FORWARD not back. The thing that's hard to remember is that a rear-impact collision is NOT the opposite of a frontal-impact. It seems like it would be, I know, but the opposite of a frontal-impact would be if you were backing up and hit something. Since we usually don't back up at speeds greater than 5mph, even that is not going to create a risk for RF children.To clarify - in a frontal impact, the vehicle's forward-motion is stopped by the crash.In a rear-impact, the vehicle is usually stopped, sometimes moving forward. Crash dynamics are going to be complicated, depending on a huge number of variables - the speed (if any) of your vehicle, the speed of the vehicle hitting you, whether or not the impact causes your vehicle to hit something in front of you, etc. In any case, there are going to be forces exerted from both the front and the back.In a backing-up crash, the vehicle's rearward-motion is stopped by the crash, which is what makes it the opposite of a forward-impact.
    Mel,RN

Great comment. I need to go look at all of them. I am sure there are some doozies!

I just posted that link on my FB page and got a bite already . This is what she said "well, that's impossible - they have legs, after all...what are you supposed to do with their legs!?!"

This was my answer:
    We don't have seats here that will accommodate the typical 4 year old (most seats only RF to 35lbs- 1 to 40lbs), but they do in Sweden where it is common to keep them RF to age 4 or so. This link: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx shows what older kids do with their legs (you have to click on the pic to see the whole thing). Older kids who are turned forward often complain that their legs dangling bothers them and they would rather be RF and have someplace to put them."

There are a few doozies but there are a lot of people that WANT info too.

I know we can't help them all but if we help one then it was worth it!
    Mel,RN

Dang! I just tried to comment, but I apparently already registered an account and can't remember my password. Oh well.

LOVE the shield booster and expired carseat... WHERE did they find those clips???

And the booster presentation was a little silly... it's not about the booster being "stable" and not shaking back and forth... oh well... they got a lot of good things too!
    Kate - Mom to 2 boys! - CPST

It's off! Yipee!

CPS Fanatic

um... what's GMA?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    um... what's GMA?
    Good Morning America
    Amy Expired (need to recert!) CPST & Mom to 8 great kids, 3 in a seatbelt, 5 in seats

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

um... what's GMA?
    And I want to note that THEY invented that acronym, not us

The booster was misrouted, that was HORRIBLE...and they said the BIG seats have 45lb weight limits. Sigh.

But the tethered RF Britax crash test was cool
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Ok, what was the RF seat they showed. Someone on another board said Nautilus, but I watched it and it wasn't. I saw the red things at the top, making me think it was an AOE. Whatever it was, it was WAY upright! Still, it's getting people talking. My FB page is buzzing.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Alpha Omega, not Elite, in the Blue Steel pattern.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

What was up with the one man's opening lines... "...because we're talking about car seats. There a hassle but all of us parents use them because we think we're keeping our kids safe..."? Wow... way to set up this segment

The one line I did like was, "Do you want to interact with them on a half an hour car ride or do you want to interact with them for the rest of their lives" in regards to RFing

Overall though I'm glad they did a segment because I swear, if it's on TV the people and friends I know will believe it more than if they read it some where. Why... no idea, but I swear, it's true.

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

um... what's GMA?
    Quote Originally Posted by lynsgirl View Post
    Good Morning America
    Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    And I want to note that THEY invented that acronym, not us
    And here I am reading the first post thinking, what the heck does Grandma have to do with this???? lol

I'll definitely have to check out that link when I'm not at the office... and add it to my page!
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

I just saw it and posted the link to the video on FB. I think it could have been way better. Very old carseat videos with very bad usage.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7818004&page=1
    Single mom to:

12 yr. old in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, 6 yr. old in a Graco Nautilus and occasionally in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, and a surprise IUD baby coming June of 2013

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jo View Post
    And here I am reading the first post thinking, what the heck does Grandma have to do with this???? lol
    so i'm not the only one. hmm...
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

An article based off of the British study is now on MSNBC:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31326129...and_parenting/

For those who like to comment and answer questions, you may enjoy responding to the comments on this news article (comments link is at the bottom).
    Katy

um... what's GMA?
    you are cracking me up lately, SPB (Southpawboston ).
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    you are cracking me up lately, SPB (Southpawboston ).
    And my mind rearranged letters and I was wondering why you were calling her short belt path

Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post
    And my mind rearranged letters and I was wondering why you were calling her short belt path
    She is a HE!
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way