want fun new seats for tiny kids

lotsolove

so my 2 youngest are 1 and 2 and both are in the 3rd percentile for height and weight and probably will always stay there.their bio family is 4.10 95 lbs and 5'8 200 lbs. 65 lb seats are pretty much overkill and would fit them until high school:rolleyes:

so if you could get fun new seats and they must be rf what would you get?:whistle:
I love easy installs and must not take up too much room front to back. both like to be pretty upright. baby is in a ss1 and I have it as upright as it can be installed and still in the level zone. dd2 is in a scenera(WHICH I HATE) and its fairly upright also. I dont like the scenera straps that are flimsy and twisty. I have a radian for dd1 and love it but am wondering what else is out there. I was thinking a roundabout would last us a long time:question:

I have a 2001 caravan(not grand) sport.
tia
lotsolove
mom to
dd1 L 4 42 lbs radian 65
dd2 K 2 22 lbs rf scenera
dd3 J 1 17.5 lbs ss1

ADS

mommaon112903

How about the new Combi Coccoro? :love: CUTE seat, CUTE colors :D I do not have any personal experince with them, but hopefully someone who does will be along shortly ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The weight limit isn't the only thing for seats. You want something with a tall shell and tall slots that will last a while. You don't get those with the 40 pound seats as often.

I'd look at the Learning Curve True Fit, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the Graco MyRide (though this may not go as upright as you like), and the Britax Marathon and Boulevard. The Roundabout simply won't last as long, irrelevant of weight (my daughter would have outgrown it at 32 pounds or so, but she would have had to forward face early and get another seat after that as well).

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you want something that will keep your kids RF as long as possible, the Roundabout and Coccoro aren't your best bets. Even small kids will outgrow them before they outgrow larger seats (obviously).

However, if you want something "fun," and you don't mind buying a new seat down the road (or not, if you choose not to ERF--though you should), the Coccoro would probably be a great choice. Small, easy to install, very adjustable in terms of angle, and truly adorable colors.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
3% overall height means nothing. Evan is 10% now maybe for his height, has often been under the chart, and still has a long torso for his size. DH is 5'11" and I'm 5'3" and we have the same inseam so you can see why my kids have torso problems, lol. What about the RA50? I've always liked my Radians b/c they don't have that big base, I think older kids like that better.

autumnlily

My thoughts - as I have a 3.5 yo who technically fits RF in a Coccoro (and they ARE super cute)... I think you will be just fine buying a compact convertible for now. And, 2 to 3 years down the road you can sell them and get the bigger convertible - and, there maybe something super cute available then too!

Smaller convertible seats that come to mind that are fun - Maxi Cosi Priori, Roundabout, and Coccoro (truly the smallest in a vehicle - but with as much room as the Roundabout for the child). But, I don't have much experience with all the other seats... sorry if my list is a little limited.

If however, you want to only buy one seat once and not have to purchase again until closer to booster time... go with a larger convertible. If you have girls - the Radian can be fun.

autumnlily

My thoughts - as I have a 3.5 yo who technically fits RF in a Coccoro (and they ARE super cute)... I think you will be just fine buying a compact convertible for now. And, 2 to 3 years down the road you can sell them and get the bigger convertible - and, there maybe something super cute available then too!

Smaller convertible seats that come to mind that are fun - Maxi Cosi Priori, Roundabout, and Coccoro (truly the smallest in a vehicle - but with as much room as the Roundabout for the child). But, I don't have much experience with all the other seats... sorry if my list is a little limited.

If however, you want to only buy one seat once and not have to purchase again until closer to booster time... go with a larger convertible. If you have girls - the Radian can be fun.

For reference, my 3.5 yo is nearly 38", 14" Torso and around 30.5lbs. I don't know if she would fit in a RA rear-facing or not - but definitely forward facing for a while longer.

christineka

My 4.5 year old weighs 30 pounds, has a 12 inch torso, and is 37 inches tall. She's outgrown the coccoro rfing. Many people would be okay with turning her ffing, but since rfing is so safe and she doesn't mind, I want her rfing to the limit. I also don't want to buy another seat down the road. (Nor does dh.) She's in a radian which is pink, so she loves it. She'll be in the seat till well past booster age. Or I can get her a booster and hand the seat down to baby sister. I would buy a longer lasting seat like the radian, true fit, or marathon- even for a tiny kid.

abigaylebelle

I love roundabouts! Great installs in all cars, cute covers, push button adjuster. I have yet to see a coccoro but that is a very cute seat from the pictures.
My son is 13th percentile right now at 26 months and has tons of room in a roundabout because his torso is very short. I think it would fit your children very well. I would measure both their torso heights (bum to shoulder) as well as their seated heights (bum to top of head). Torso will tell you how long you'll have forward facing and seated height will tell you how long you have rear facing. For reference the shell of the roundabout is 21" and the highest top slot is a little over 15". Hope that helps a little!

cookie123

Roundabouts are great seats. They just don't offer a lot of growing room. Maybe about the same as your Scenera, I would say. Do you still have plenty of growing room in that? My grandson outgrew the Roundabout at 16 mos rear facing.

How about the Avenue? They have a cute girlish seat and it's not expensive. $85 at Sears. It has higher top slots and a taller shell than other 40 lbs convertible seats.

Qarin

Here is my 3rd percentile DD at 3y8m in a Roundabout (with her 50th percentile sister at 8months):

0.jpg

At the time, with that seat, the seat was outgrown RF when the head was past the top of the shell, not 1" from it- so she had about outgrown it RF by current rules as of that picture (in fact, it looks like she was about 1" from the top of the shell more than a year earlier- you can see a picture here, about two months before I turned her FF for the first time at 2.5); she was about 28-29lbs, and was soon to outgrow its 30lb RF limit (she turned FF in the Roundabout 1-2 months later). The following spring, at 4y5m, she went back RF in a Wizard (with a 33lb RF limit), and had to turn FF in that a few months later for weight.

So, she did make it, easily, to 4years in the Roundabout, but nowhere close to 40lbs. I believe she has outgrown the Wizard now, but not by much; she is maybe half an inch above the second to top slots on her Nautilus now at 7y7m.

cookie123

Oh, I love those RAs. That's the one I had. It sadly expired a few months ago, right when Matthew outgrew it rf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC