Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 carseats in 2005 Uplander

Hi, I have recently bought a 2005 Uplander. I have two sons (almost 5 and 2.5 yrs) who are both in FF Britax Boulevards, and I have a Graco Snugride for our baby due in Nov/Dec.
    Seating options are: two middle buckets and a rear 50/50 split bench.

There are no built in carseats on ours. From what I read on here, the two Boulevards can be installed on the middle buckets and the infant base can go belted in the middle of the rear bench.

I have not personally looked at the options for the carseats in my van because I get frustrate installing them, so my boyfriend gets them put in good. What are any suggestions for how the seats should go? (My idea of putting the infant base on a middle bucket and putting the two Boulevards in the back bench would not work for whatever reason, he said something about the headrests??? To me it made sense to have an available bucket next to the baby to have an adult to assist all 3 kids).

So he put the infant base in the back and the other 2 on the buckets. I this arrangement best? I have read alot of problems with installation in the Uplander but not experienced them myself (i.e., headrest in the way, not enough LATCH or tether locations inside???) so I don't know how we should go about this and everyone be safe and content. Any suggestions?

Also, when the baby is at weight/age for a RF bigger seat I want to get the same, Britax Boulevard for him/her....what would I do then? And when I can have 3 FF Boulevards??
    Last edited by eve83; 06-11-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: adding FF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 3 carseats in 2005 Uplander

Is your 2.5 year old rear facing or forward?

I'd reverse what you have. Put the two older kids in the third row outboard and the baby in a captain's chair. That way the older kids can climb back on their own and there's a space to sit next to the baby. I'd probably put the 2.5 year old directly behind the baby so that way the five year old can see the baby and let you know what's going on.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

I agree with Wendy, It will be a pain in the rear to get the infant bucket all the way in the back everytime. I would think there HAS to be a way for the headrests to come off in that third row... or maybe he could try reclining the seats in the 3rd row a little bit to see if that helps with installation. My aunt has an '05 Uplander, but I won't see her until Saturday, so hopefully someone else can help you find a solution!
    Emily, mom to
    C- 9 yrs, 74 lbs, Topside & LiteRider
    A- 6 yrs, 48 lbs, Vivo & HB Turbo
    C- 3, 33lbs, Roundabout 50, Radian & Pioneer

CPS Technician

My sis has an uplander. I have had no problems using our bv in 2nd and 3rd row.
    I would put baby in 2nd row behind driver and take out the other captain. Then put 2 older in 3rd row.

Also, I would not buy another bv. When baby outgrows infant seat hand oldest carseat down to baby and buy him a forward facing only seat- Nautilus, Frontier. He doesn't need a convertible since he is no longer rf.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Carseat Crazy

I have 3 DC, the oldest two go in the third row and the baby in one captain chair. I love this seating arrangement. I climb in and sit in the empty captain chair, from there I can buckle everyone in, all children are contained while I'm dealing with the baby, loading things in, and then I get out and climb in the driver's seat. If DH is driving then I might continue to sit there to deal with various children's needs.
    DD1-13y, DD2-9y, DS1-7y, DS2-4y