DD escaping harness!

T

TwosCompany

I was directed here by a friend. Our problem is our 2.5 yo DD who rides in a Recaro Signo. She's a carseat Houdini! She slides the chest clip down just a tad, tucks one shoulder in tight to her body, leans in the opposite direction and slides that shoulder right out. After that, it's just down hill. I pull over each time I notice her (thanks to my 5yo screech alarm) and immediately re-secure her. We've tightened the harness to its absolute limits and still she gets out. I'm at a complete loss! What can we do to keep her IN her seat?? Thank you for any advice! :eek:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unfortunately it's a discipline issue, not a carseat issue. I was just telling some parents yesterday that when their kids do this, usually about 2-2.5 years old, that it's just something they need to deal with. Most kids do it. Mine did. At 2.5 I told her she'd be hurt and I'd be sad if she was loose in the car. I told her she'd hit the window (I didn't tell her she'd go through it or be run over by the car, hitting the window was enough). I had her feel the window and slap her hand against it so she'd understand it would hurt. And I pulled over if I saw her doing it and got upset.

How you discipline depends on your child and situation. Some do better with rewards for a good trip, others need happy promises taken away if they misbehave. Some just can't go in the car for a while (which is nearly impossible if you have another child). Some need a parent to ride in back with them (again difficult if you have the backseat filled with carseats). So we can't tell you the magic words to make her stop. But just know that it's normal, it passes eventually, and you're not doing anything wrong to cause it.

Wendy

marciemp

yes my boy is doing this, and he is older (3.75 years), but at this moment hovering on the maturity level of a 2.5 year old (has been a pain for a month or so testing limits, acting out, was good before, will be good again I hope...) He is un-doing the chest clip and wiggle out. He is mature enough to understand the safety issue and will quickly do it back up and slide it back to hi arm pits when reprimanded. YToday i showed him crash test videos on the computer of what happens when you are't in a seat belt. he really watched, maybe you girl would. Other than that I have pulled over when possible, and just got upset so he fixed it. I also have a 5 year old screech alarm who keeps and eye on him! Hopefully he won't do it anymore.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC