GN harness coming OFF

NannyMom

Has anyone else seen this happen? I helped someone install one last night. SHe just called me to say it worked fine first use, 2nd use, right side was tighter than left, 3rd use left side came right out :eek:

I'm thinking the splitter plate just got stuck on something. But I'll be checking it out later tonight.

ADS

ben&jakesmum

I haven't had this happen with the GN but I did have it happen with the Frontier. My seat was taken and replaced and ended up having a recall and a fix put out on the seat.

I think it was Barb at transport Canada that I contacted about it. If you are in the US I wouldn't know who you should contact but it sounds like something that should be looked into.

With the Frontier, if one side of the harness was loosened at time, it put too much slack on one side of the splitter plate causing the harness to come right out. It happened to me twice :eek:

NannyMom

I know about the Frontier. As soon as she said what was going on, I thought about the Frontier. She has a 2nd GN that was to go in their 2nd car. I'll have her bring that.

If I can clearly see what the problem was, maybe it can still be used. I did see it happen to a Titan when the splitter plate gor stuck on the seatbelt, but we noticed that right away. If I can't see the issue, I'll have her use the 2nd GN and we'll contact Graco and NHTSA.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Were the straps routed correctly over the rollers? (thinking "out loud)

I never had that happen with mine and my BFF hasn't said anything about it happening with hers.

Susan

NannyMom

Harness was routed correctly. DIdn't seem stuck on anything. The right side (child's right) would still loosen and tighten properly. My best guess is it wasn't totally on the splitter plate :confused:

I spoke with a CPST-I. She said to check it out, and continue to use it. So, she'll call me again if there's another problem (and if it happens again, she'll use it as a booster to get home).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The right side (child's right) would still loosen and tighten properly. My best guess is it wasn't totally on the splitter plate.

That was my first thought too, because obviously it came OFF the splitter plate somehow. (Unless the loop that goes over the splitter plate came completely unstitched.)

scoutingbear

I had this happen once. I had just moved strap heights though so I was thinking it was user error especially since we have 4 GN's that we use regularly and have never had it happen again.

rachandsoph

This happened to us too....Graco Canada thinks I'm a nutbar who doesn't know how to properly buckle her children in! I truely don't think it is "user error" or an issue of getting stuck on something.....there is a problem with those seats and I think we are just beginning to see the start of the issues. I honestly believe they are not the 'dream seat' the way everyone seems to feel.
I refuse to let my 3yr old ride in the GN anymore(she always said it hurt her anyway)....what if the harness had released in a crash? The very thought makes me sick to my stomach.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've had it happen to an Apex. It happened three times during an installation, even after we'd ruled out user error (first time maybe, second and third time when I'm paying special attention to make sure it's on, no way). But I've not had it happen on our Nautilus.

I'd be guessing user error too, but I'd double check the straps, put them back on carefully to the splitter plate, then adjust them a bunch of times before a child got in, and check them every time they get into the car for about a week or two. If it appears fixed then it was user error and no worries. If it happens again I'd call Graco and talk to them about it. I'd get a new splitter plate first, maybe a new harness with it.

If the child is booster aged if it happened again I'd probably use it as a booster until the harness arrived, or switch seats to a backup seat.

Wendy

DahliaRW

I have a hard enough time pulling the harness off the adjuster plate for the GN to move the straps. I can't imagine it "coming" off on it's own if it's on their correctly, but you never know.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a hard enough time pulling the harness off the adjuster plate for the GN to move the straps. I can't imagine it "coming" off on it's own if it's on their correctly, but you never know.

I don't have a super hard time with removing the straps from the splitter plate, but they definitely don't slip off easily just because they're thick and stiff. Having actually seen a strap come off a frontier while watching the splitter plate, I can't imagine that happening on the Nautilus in the same fashion. - the straps are thicker and aren't going to fold in on themselves the way the Frontier straps did - and the Frontier straps didn't actually come off until they folded in on themselves and got narrow enough for that rolled edge to start slipping...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC