My first "I made a difference" thread!!

J-max

CPST Instructor
First I have to say, I am amazed at the different attitude I get from people now that I am a tech - really the car seat stuff I was telling you 2 weeks ago, is not any different than it is now that I took the tech class, but now you will listen???

I had a friend/more acquaintance stop by this morning and she told me she just got her just turned 3 tiny, very premature, immature dd a booster:eek:. She was telling me how hard it was to find one that started at 30 and not 40 lbs. She got a new one, because the old was gross and she could not clean it any more (it was a hand me down, I am sure) and the straps felt tight.
Now I have talked car seats with her before and was very much blown off. So I gently brought up how tiny her dd is, and how all 3 of my younger girls are still harnessed, how boosters are a step down in safety, how she needs to be sitting correctly 100% of the time, and seat belt syndrome/lap belt fit. Now the mom is an EMT and we live just off the main highway that crosses the state and we have some bad wrecks out here. She even said she had seen seat belts cut people from bad placement. I truly think she was trying to do the best she could, but without much knowledge and grabbing a seat off the shelf at the tiny closest walmart did not leave much to choose from.
I showed her the GN I have in our truck, and even helped her install it in her car and showed how much room her dd had left (she would still be in the 3rd slots). She seemed generally interested (wrote down the name even) and I really hope she gets one.

Last edited:
ADS

Jeb-O

You gotta start somewhere! Hopefully she takes your advice for the safety of her child!!

I hear you on the SILs.. my SIL places her infant in his bucket seat and doesn't buckle it down to the car. No base, no seat belt.. just a baby sitting in a bucket seat... :( For some reason she thinks just having his rear end in the car seat is safe?? :thumbsdown:

JavaJunki

Good job! I'm scared of what my SIL will do with my unborn neice. She herself doesn't wear seatbelts because she's a stunt woman and "trained to fall".

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Good job! I'm scared of what my SIL will do with my unborn neice. She herself doesn't wear seatbelts because she's a stunt woman and "trained to fall".

Is she trained to hurl through a piece of glass and under the wheels of a semi?

Melodiya99

It's funny, my SIL is the only one who has listened to me so far...my 20mo nephew is still rf and they don't have plans to turn him:love:

I'm glad your friend seemed to listen. Way to speak up!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC