15-Passenger Vans Advisory and Study

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811143.PDF

From the study:

• In 2007, fatalities to occupants of 15-passenger vans increased nearly 20% from the previous year.
  • About one-fourth of fatally injured occupants of 15-pas-senger vans, over the last 5 years, were drivers.
  • The median age group for drivers killed in 15-passenger vans is 45 to 54; the median age group for passengers is 25 to 34.
  • In 2007, there were 45 fatalities in 15-passenger vans that rolled over, 73% more than in 2006.
  • About 80 percent of the fatally injured van occupants in rollovers in the past 5 years were not restrained.

In addition to the above link, I received this in an email:

In addition, below is the text of NHTSA's annual Consumer Advisory on 15-passenger vans which was released on May 20:

"Consumer Advisory:

Federal Government Restates Rollover Warning for 15-Passenger Vans Users

As summer travel season approaches, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is again urging all 15-passenger van users to take appropriate precautions to guard against the possibility of a tragic rollover crash.

NHTSA research shows that 15-passenger vans have a much higher rollover risk than other passenger vehicles, especially when fully loaded with passengers and luggage.

If you are planning to take a trip in a 15-passenger van this summer, here are some safety tips to make sure the trip is a safe one:

• Make sure all passengers are buckled up at all times. NHTSA research shows that 80 percent of the occupants killed in van rollovers were not belted at the time of the crash.
  • Make sure the driver has training and experience. Driver inexperience has been a major contributing factor in van crashes.
  • Pay special attention to tires prior to a trip. Examine tires for signs of wear and aging, and always check to see if they are properly inflated to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Improperly inflated tires are another common contribution to rollover crashes, especially if the van is fully loaded with passengers and luggage.

“For a safe trip this summer, there is no better combination than safety belts, an experienced driver, and a well-maintained vehicle,” said Ronald Medford, NHTSA’s Acting Deputy Administrator.

Overall statistics show the number of deaths in 15-passenger van rollover crashes has been declining steadily since 2001.

For more information about 15-passenger van safety, visit www.safercar.gov"

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Thanks for posting this, Heather. Is there any mention of what year the vehicles were? I know my new (08) gmc conversion (which really starts as a cargo van) has stabilitrack. I am glad that they added the fact that 80% of the fatalities were not buckled, too. When I have tried to get that info in the past, or to point this fact out, I have been scolded:eek: and told it doesn't matter, the vehicles are death traps. Oh, and the fact that most of the drivers are inexperienced and don't understand why the vans are different than other vehicles.

christineka

I was interested in the part about the passengers being unbuckled. I have seen quite a few of the ride share vans with unbuckled passengers. The special needs van also doesn't bother making those adults buckle up either. I think many people get vans mixed up with busses.

U

utahterry

As a retired state trooper I investigated a few crashes with 15 passenger vans. Most drivers don't understand how important tires are. All tires are speed rated and load rated. In a lot of crashes the vans were traveling to fast or they were overloaded causing tire failure.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I haven't read the study yet, so I don't know if it addresses vehicle year. One thing I always notice whenever I hear about any crash on the news is ejections: ejections generally equal no seatbelt use. And with the 15 passenger vans, you usually hear about people flying out of the vans in crashes. I simply don't understand why people don't buckle up when seat belts are available :confused:.

Adding 2 extra wheels on the back axle, I've heard, makes these vans more stable (making them duallies--is that the correct terminology?).

I used to drive these vans way back when when I worked for a university and I needed to run an errand. They would lean into a turn so much when I was the only one in them it was scary (of course, my main ride back then was a tiny Honda Civic hatchback).

Jennifer mom to my 7

I remember my ford bronco doing that. ANd I can feel the stabilitrack work on our van now. It really is weird when it happens, because you can feel the opposite wheels grip more (well, that is what it feels like, kwim?)

mimieliza

I used to drive and travel in those vans all the time while in college (late '90s). Students could check them out for group trips - all that was required was a valid drivers license. Three years after I graduated, a student group doing a Habitat for Humanity spring break service project rolled a van. Four students were injured and one was killed.

It is so scary. We were good kids - we did not drink and drive, we took the vans to conferences, performances and service projects. But we drove it overloaded at times, and in terrible conditions (Wisconsin in January, for instance). Most kids sat buckled up, but would take off a seat belt to lay down and nap, for instance.

Momof4Girls

I used to drive and travel in those vans all the time while in college (late '90s). Students could check them out for group trips - all that was required was a valid drivers license. Three years after I graduated, a student group doing a Habitat for Humanity spring break service project rolled a van. Four students were injured and one was killed.

A specialty license is not mandatory until the vehicle carries 16 passengers. Then it is assumed to be a commercial vehicle, not a private vehicle.

Raechel

solmama

I used to drive/ride in 15 passenger vans for a job I had (5 years) in Northern Minnesota. Really, there's nothing more terrifying than a big van, full of kids (usually buckled, unless they were sneaky), on rural roads, in a MN winter. We were nearly in a crash one year, the only reason we didn't roll over (I wasn't driving), was because the van just glided into the snowbank. Very, very scary.

I think, as these vans become increasingly more common, that people (owners) need to be made aware what it takes to make a vehicle this large safer. Most drivers are driving distracted (who wouldn't with that many passengers), on top of being unaware of the vehicle.

zeo2ski

A specialty license is not mandatory until the vehicle carries 16 passengers. Then it is assumed to be a commercial vehicle, not a private vehicle.

My college (NY State school) required anyone who was going to drive the vans to take a course that they offered on how to use and drive the vans. They didn't allow the back row to hold passengers or gear either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC