Well don't I feel like a jerk

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
A friend of mine told me that her dd's carseat is 7 years old and her ds' booster doesn't adjust the seatbelt correctly so I got to talking to her about carseats. She has ordered a Marathon for dd and a Turbo Booster for ds, but they won't arrive until after Thanksgiving and they are taking a trip this week. I told her I would loan her my Roundabout for her dd and a high back booster for her ds until her new seats arrive. We had a Girl's Night Out tonight, so I brought the seats and went out with her to her van to show her how to use the seats. Her dd's seat was there when she opened the van door and I grabbed onto the seat to see how tight it was----and it moved all the way over and back. The seatbelt wasn't locked at all. I gasped and said "oh my gosh, you're giving me a heart attack!" I totally hurt her feelings and I feel like such a jerk! I'm usually pretty tactful and polite. It was late (after midnight) so I was tired and I was seriously shocked by the carseat moving so far. I didn't mean to be rude! I feel horrible. :(

ADS

Simplysomething

Her dd's seat was there when she opened the van door and I grabbed onto the seat to see how tight it was----and it moved all the way over and back. The seatbelt wasn't locked at all. I gasped and said "oh my gosh, you're giving me a heart attack!" I totally hurt her feelings and I feel like such a jerk! I'm usually pretty tactful and polite. It was late (after midnight) so I was tired and I was seriously shocked by the carseat moving so far. I didn't mean to be rude! I feel horrible. :(

Don't feel horrible. If she'd have paid attention...well, it wouldn't have been like that. (How did she react?).

Ah, bah, it was after midnight, you were tired...you do actually care about friends children...etc.

gwenvet

That's what friends are for...to tell you how they really feel and to make your kids more safe if you are doing someting wrong...even if it hurts your feelings. I thought I had overreacted last week when at mom's group I overheard a friend saying that she had turned her 13mo old FF. I interrupted and from across the room said loudly and disbelievingly..."YOU WHAT?" I apologized the next day and she actually thanked me and said that she felt good knowing that I felt like I knew her well enough to be honest with my feelings. She also spent that evening with her husband looking at crash test videos and doing online research about CSS. Her email to me a day later simply read.."Did some research...switching her back ASAP." Hopefully, along with your drama, you shed some light on a scarry and potentially lethal situation that she can now avoid because you educated her how to be a safer parent. You did something good!

lovinwaves

Awwww, I have done that too. Where something just "slips" right out of my mouth. In the the end your reaction was because you care about her children. Hopefully she won't be offended, or stay upset with you.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Thanks, that made me feel better! I think she was just really embarrassed which made it worse. Today, I checked another friend's seats and the install on that seat was like Dejavu from last night! Luckily I managed to be nice and tactful today. :p

scatterbunny

Don't feel bad. You're a good friend. :)

I would react the same way to such a loose install. I don't understand how people can think it's okay to install a carseat without locking the seatbelt.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had a hard time being tactful amidst my shock when I checked a seat that literally had everything possible wrong with it -- straps had been wahsed & ironed but still like twisty ropes (all 3 of which are BAD), kiddo was FF too soon, installed with RF routing using both LATCH + seatbelt, seatbelt not locked & moving about 4", tethered to a spring :eek: add ons + projectiles galore, wrong harness slots, expired.... *UGH*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC