A Scary Conversation

Morganthe

So here I was checking out at a local dept store today with cute on-sale clothes for DD. 2 sweaters & pj's all size 5T's.
----------------------------------------------------
Saleslady: I can't wait until my dd grows older so she'll fit clothes like these.

me: How old? Mine's 3 and I wish she'd slow down a tad.

Saleslady: Oh Wow! So's mine and she wears 18-24months.

me: At least you're not worrying about her outgrowing her carseat any day. :)

SL: No, but she can do this (pushes her arms out forward) and escapes her harness.

me: Is it too loose?

SL: No, it's really old and only a 3 pt. My youngest sibling used it years ago.

me: Did you know that carseats expire around 6-7 years and they're dangerous to use?

SL: (Starts talking about clothes again).

me: (Interrupting, but being as casual as I can be) Seriously, I hang out on a carseat board with lots of certified child seat inspectors and they would be absolutely horrified to find out your child is in such an ancient seat. (SL beginning to really listen). It's very dangerous. CSs have an expiration date. The plastic wears out and it can easily SHATTER into pieces in an accident. I don't know which is more dangerous... no carseat or one that's so old that it's breakable + she's easily getting the harness off.

SL: (distracted by co-worker & no reply)

She had to help other customers after that and I had to leave. But I really hope she gets a new carseat. It started out as a bragging complaint, but it didn't get the smiles I think she was looking for. Nothing humorous in what she told me. :( I got the impression that her younger sibling was around 12-16 years old now, so that was a really old carseat.:eek:

ADS

lovinwaves

Awwww good try though. That was awesome of you to speak up like that!!! You never know though, maybe she will be looking for a new seat...;)

Yoshi

I am noticing this more and more- people using seats that are really, really OLD and not caring about it at all. In fact they think expiration dated are a "ploy" by the manufacturers to get you to buy another seat. :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC