Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member Mumoflittleguys's Avatar

Why not Consumer Reports?

Can someone give me a brief rundown of why Consumer Reports isn't the best place to look for car seat info?

Someone posted this link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...view/index.htm

I recall something about no one else being able to duplicate the Consumer Reports results, and I'm wondering who else to recommend for car seat references instead (Baby Bargains leaps to mind).

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

This website is the best carseat reference tool I have ever come across. We have a Forum specifically for carseat reviews.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

At the bottom of the screen is a small box that you can use to search -- there have been quite a few threads about the CR issue....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    At the bottom of the screen is a small box that you can use to search -- there have been quite a few threads about the CR issue....
    Do you mean at the top of the screen? Who's more tired you or me
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

LOL! No ... down -- says "Forum Jump" -- a little box
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    The FAQ has a bit on it, too http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q30
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy
    I think the biggie for me is that yeah, they crash 'em. But that's it. They use a bench, not a car, so real world crash results may be different. They've tested two seats that are identical except for name and cover style. They got DIFFERENT results! ?? They tested a Britax (RA, I think) one year and gave it raves, the next year it was substantially lower. The seat was unchanged in that time frame, so it was something about CR that changed (or was inconsistent).

And, since they don't install them in cars and try them out they don't know that some seats are VERY hard to install and very hard to use day in and day out. If a seat is hard to install or hard to use, it'll get mis-used by many.

And, they don't measure them. A 40 lb seat that the vast majority of kids outgrow by 30 lbs because its soooo short is a waste of money.

My final gripe is that they rate price (seemingly heavily) into their super-spy-secret formula. I think that is a huge disservice. If I have $40 to spend, I want the best $40 seat. Rank them and let ME find the highest rated one I can afford. If I have $300 to spend, same thing. But, the $300 ones are ALWAYS going to be rated artificially low because they impose their idea of "value" on everything. That bugs the heck out of me. If they just ranked them w/o regard to price then everyone could simply say, "What the best seat I can get for $80?" and go from there. But as it is, you can't do that.

[QUOTE=kelly;57825]
    And, since they don't install them in cars and try them out they don't know that some seats are VERY hard to install and very hard to use day in and day out. If a seat is hard to install or hard to use, it'll get mis-used by many.
    QUOTE]

I will note that they do claim to install them in various cars, reportedly by CPS technicians on staff. They don't, however, give any indication of their standards for how secure or how easy the installation was. You know, the most experienced instructor may be able to get the vast majority of seats correctly installed in the vast majority of vehicles. The typical parent can't.

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post

I will note that they do claim to install them in various cars, reportedly by CPS technicians on staff. They don't, however, give any indication of their standards for how secure or how easy the installation was. You know, the most experienced instructor may be able to get the vast majority of seats correctly installed in the vast majority of vehicles. The typical parent can't.
    Yeah, I was just thinking of the Evenflo Titan (?), I think it was Titan. (It was set to be discontinued. Techs cheered, as it was HARD to install properly. Then CR rated it #1 and boom, it stays on the market to torment your poor guys more. )

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Yeah, I was just thinking of the Evenflo Titan (?), I think it was Titan. (It was set to be discontinued. Techs cheered, as it was HARD to install properly. Then CR rated it #1 and boom, it stays on the market to torment your poor guys more. )
    Yeah, the NHTSA ratings are even worse. As it is, almost every seat gets an "A" and none get a "C" overall. Sadly, many of the models that got top grades for ease of use on paper are those that technicians and parents know are among the most difficult to use in real life.

I think the biggest problem is that they fail to factor in at all how well the seats fit a variety of children. I purchased the Evenflo Vanguard 5 that they had highly rated for my then 6 month old. She outgrew the supposedly 40#, 40" seat at 18 months, 29", 25#. At the time I had no idea there was significant variation in harness slot heights for 40 lb convertibles.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)