How much time could I get out of a My Ride??? (PICS)

MOM25BOYS

I bought a MR65 last night at TRU for DS5. So far I like it and couldn't believe how light the seat was. I opened the box in the store just to make sure there was a seat and not something else.:p So I was trying DS4 in it today for fun since I would love for him to go back RF. He has been hanging between 33-35lbs for the last couple of months and went FF in the Frontier back in March. I was wondering what you all thought about how much time he could stay RF if I got one for him??

Would it be worth it to sell his Frontier to get a MR65? I was eventually going to sell one off anyways when I started booster training DS3 later this summer. Hoping I can get my hands on 1 or 2 of the New Parkways to get more room back in the 3rd row.:)

Overall Fit in the Seat...

110-1.jpg

He is just a smidge below the 2nd from the top slots....

111-1.jpg

Shell left above his head.... Approx. 2 inches??...

112-1.jpg

Good amount of leg room left and doesn't seem squashed...

113-1.jpg

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks like you could measure from the top to that line of piping in the cover...3 inches from an eyeball view, I'd say...?

Shaunam

I would guess he'd get close to 40 lbs in it....assuming he doesn't take 4 years to gain that weight. :p Move the harness below his shoulders and pull his harness tight and take another pic. DS shrinks a little when the harness is below his shoulders because it pulls him down a bit. I think it makes a difference when determining how much height is left in a rf'ing seat. Conversely, I think having the harness below in a ff'ing seat gives the illusion of more room than they actually have, if that makes sense.

If he prefers to be rf'ing I'd do it in a heartbeat. If he doesn't care, I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of selling another seat. I'm too lazy. LOL

MOM25BOYS

Looks like you could measure from the top to that line of piping in the cover...3 inches from an eyeball view, I'd say...?

Thanks Jools.:) It does look more like 3 inches.

I would guess he'd get close to 40 lbs in it....assuming he doesn't take 4 years to gain that weight. :p Move the harness below his shoulders and pull his harness tight and take another pic. DS shrinks a little when the harness is below his shoulders because it pulls him down a bit. I think it makes a difference when determining how much height is left in a rf'ing seat. Conversely, I think having the harness below in a ff'ing seat gives the illusion of more room than they actually have, if that makes sense.

If he prefers to be rf'ing I'd do it in a heartbeat. If he doesn't care, I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of selling another seat. I'm too lazy. LOL

LOL, I don't mind dealing with selling another seat and I will try to get a pic later of him with the straps below his shoulders. We have a bad storm sitting on top of us right now.:eek: I think since the MR65 has more of a natural recline than the Frontier it would still make a decent FF seat also...:whistle: :p

heyruthie

frankly, based on the pics, i think you could get a good long while out of it still. i'd be good with getting him one! i'm moving quite a bit of stuff around in our van (seats, tether anchors, etc.) in order to keep my DD RFing, and she's 2. however, she's 10 pounds lighter than your DS....so it's not a direct comparison. since she's 25#, i wanted her RFing....at 35# it's more personal preference, IMHO--a month ago RFing wasn't even an option for him.

MOM25BOYS

frankly, based on the pics, i think you could get a good long while out of it still. i'd be good with getting him one! i'm moving quite a bit of stuff around in our van (seats, tether anchors, etc.) in order to keep my DD RFing, and she's 2. however, she's 10 pounds lighter than your DS....so it's not a direct comparison. since she's 25#, i wanted her RFing....at 35# it's more personal preference, IMHO--a month ago RFing wasn't even an option for him.

Thanks. :) When I bought the TF for him waaayy back in October he was around 28lbs then. Oy! He hit a MAJOR growth spurt between Christmas and March. When I took him in to a docs app. for being sick I was in shock when she told me he was 33lbs. This was in March and he had been sick and not eating for a good week.:eek: It didn't take long for him to pack on the extra 1 or 2lbs so to be safe I moved him and turned him FF.:( To me he seems more comfortable with RF. He loves to keep his legs up on the back of the seat and he sleeps better.:D DH may kill me, but I think I am going to shoot for another MR65 for him. Don't get me wrong.... I love the Frontier and so does he, but he seems so tiny in it even as big as he is.:eek:

ctbcleveland

Elizabeth - why not just buy one MR for now - put DS #4 in that one. You've got to have another seat sitting around somewhere that will last your littliest man RF for a long time. When DS#4 gets to big for it RF, then move DS #5 into it.

I'd probably just hang on to the Frontier, but I don't make a hobby out of buying and selling seats. You are WAYYYY more ambitious than I am!

2BunniesMommy

I am happy to hear the responses you have gotten. We just got the seat last Thur for our 3 1/2 year old and her fit in it is very close to your son's.

We had to turn her FFing in Nov when she outgrew her DC by weight. I thought about buying a 35lb limit seat, but she got so close to that so fast, we didn't. Her currrent weight varies from 33.something to 35, so this seat is the only option since she does get to the 35 randomly.

When we tried her in the seat, installed in our van at the store. We were guessing it would give us at least 6mo maybe a year for her to rear face. We decided that even if it was just the 6mo worth it.

I wish I could figure out how to post pics on here to get opinions also.

MOM25BOYS

I think you'd get at least another year rearfacing, maybe more.

Well, the deed is done and I going to try to get him a MR65 too as soon as his other seat is gone. ;) Thanks for all the responses and I think with the way DS5 is growing he could RF well past 3 yrs in this seat.:love:

Maedze I would be thrilled to get maybe 1 more year of him RF. :D He will be 3yrs on Sept. 1st so even if I only get to Christmas with him RF I would be completely happy with giving up his Frontier.:thumbsup:

NannyMom

Ok, I have to say.... when you said you bought a MR for DS5 and I looked right to the pic I thought :eek: OMG he's grown! lol.

I think I remember measuring 3 inches from the piping on the BRU cover. So I agree with others, he has tons of time :)

melniemi

Yes, you should get it:love:

I wonder if a Frontier would puzzle with a marathon in my third row like it does for Arly:whistle::whistle:

2BunniesMommy

Oh, I see now that he will be 3 in Sept, I missed that before. So, DD1 is 8 mo older than he is, so not that big of an age gap for him to be the same size.

I forgot to ask what Ford you have? Looks a bit like my Freestar, but I see an window button on the door on the other side, so I am guessing Freestyle (which is what I really wanted:crying:) Let me know if I called it!

Tori

MOM25BOYS

Oh, I see now that he will be 3 in Sept, I missed that before. So, DD1 is 8 mo older than he is, so not that big of an age gap for him to be the same size.

I forgot to ask what Ford you have? Looks a bit like my Freestar, but I see an window button on the door on the other side, so I am guessing Freestyle (which is what I really wanted:crying:) Let me know if I called it!

Tori

Yeah, he's not 3 yet even though he looks it with his size.:) I have a Ford Expedition with a 3rd row. I think the seating is similiar to a Freestyle. I can get 3 Marathons RF on the second row and with the right seats I can get 3 across on the 3rd row. I love my SUV.:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC