We had a car accident

D

Danny

Hi, I'm 14. Last week, my mom and I were driving to the shops, and we got hit from behind by some idiot who was probably speeding.
Anyway, I went flying forward, and hit my head. Luckily I wasn't seriously injured though.

Because of this, I'm considering using a 5 point harness car seat, since it looks a LOT safer.
What do you think?
All help and recommendations are appreciated.:)

ADS

lovinwaves

Were you wearing a seatbelt? I'm surprised you hit your head "flying forward" because when you are rear-ended you would go back into your seat. Unless you are talking about after that you went forward and hit your head.

Unfortunately there are no five point harnessed seats on the market in the US that go above 80 pounds.
A seatbelt and maybe trying to ride in the backseat is your best bet ;)

D

Danny

Were you wearing a seatbelt? I'm surprised you hit your head "flying forward" because when you are rear-ended you would go back into your seat. Unless you are talking about after that you went forward and hit your head.

Unfortunately there are no five point harnessed seats on the market in the US that go above 80 pounds.
A seatbelt and maybe trying to ride in the backseat is your best bet ;)
I always wear a seatbelt. :) And there is one seat I know I fit in (fit as in I can sit in it, and buckle myself up).

lovinwaves

How much do you weigh though? If you weigh over 80lbs you CANNOT use that seat. A seatbelt should be sufficient for you. A Certified Technician here on this forum will chime in here soon on why it would not be safe for you to use this seat.

I personally think we would all be safer wearing a five-point harness in the car, but a 3-point seatbelt is all we have.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I always wear a seatbelt. :) And there is one seat I know I fit in (fit as in I can sit in it, and buckle myself up).

Doesn't mean, though, that you still fit in the seat. The harness has to be at or above your shoulders, just like a seatbelt, and there are weight limits to seats. So even though you could buckle whatever seat it was doesn't mean you can actually still fit in it.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, just out of curiosity ... what vehicle crashed? (year, make, model)

If you're less than 80 pounds the Regent might be OK (over 80# puts you at risk of ejection which is far worse than what you've experienced), but as the others have said it also depends on your height -- can you sit flat on the floor against a wall/door & have someone measure from the floor to the top of your shoulder, please? This will give us your sitting height to know if you actually do fit the Regent :)

It's also important to remember that it's a lot of $ if you'll only fit it for a very short time :eek:

In regards to the vehicle: there's the EZOn restraint option which I actually fit, but it can be easy to use incorrectly -- the "best" seatbelt system fits the occupant & is always used correctly ... in which case the vehicle seatbelt might be your safest possible option :cool:

D

Danny

Well, I'm definately more then 80 pounds. No idea how tall I am, but I wasn't too tall that I couldn't get in it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I can get in it, too -- but that doesn't mean I fit :eek: You have to read the manual & follow it....
  • Being over the weight limit means the seat would fail to keep you safe in a crash because it only passes crash testing up to that weight limit.
  • Being too tall for the seat puts you at risk of further otherwise easily preventable injury such as severe whiplash, etc.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Then you're too big. There are harnesses you can get, but like Tiffany said, they're complicated and may cause more harm than good.

Sitting in the back reduces your chances of injury by 40%. That may be your best bet, sitting in the back with a lap and shoulder belt.

Wendy

D

Danny

Our car is a Ford. Not sure on the exact model or the make.
As for my sitting height, I'm about 1.5ft.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry, Danny, but it doesn't matter -- you've outgrown the Regent by weight.... As Wendy & I have both said, your safest option is sitting in the back & simply using the vehicle seatbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC