Resale value?

BudgieStew

:confused:
I think this is where I would post this question...

After starting to search for the next seat after DD outgrows her infant carrier, I see that there are many more options of car seats on the market(Canada) since buying my DS's first convertible car seat only 22 months ago.
So I have now decided to upgrade all the car seats we currently use. Great right?
But I still have these fairly new(less then two years), in great condition and still safe car seats(no recalls, no accidents etc in fact my daycare provider is buying one so my son will still be using it).Complete with manuals and all parts.
Someone out there could have use of them..and I could use the extra cash to finance the new car seats.

Now I know there seems to be a booming market on selling second hand car seats(and some are downright scary)so how does one determine a fair resale price so neither the seller nor the buyer is cheated?

Last edited:
ADS

lovinwaves

What I do before I sell something is go on Ebay and see what items like it are selling for. If you use the "Completed Items" feature you can see what items "actually" sold for on ebay.

Also, try your local Craigslist to sell your seat.
Here is just an example of stuff I have sold. Just to give you a price idea. And I always go by the notion of "It's always worth what someone will pay for it!" ;)

I had a Graco Comfortsport that was bought brand new for $120.00. I turned around it sold it over a year later for $90.00
I also sold my Graco Duoglider for $140 that was over a year old and was originally purchased for $189.00.
Both of the above items were extremely well taken care of and in PERFECT condition.

Both of these items were sold on Craiglist. I skip on Ebay because I hate all the fees, waiting, shipping, and hoping they will pay. :)

You could also tell us on the forum here what you have and we could tell you what we think it is worth

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If it passes the Used Seat Checklist > http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx < then it's fair to divide the original cost by the life span of the seat (usually 6 years), then subtract the amount equivalent to how long you've owned the seat & also subtract any extra amount for faded cover, etc. -- this would be the asking price or "buy it now"....

lovinwaves

Hey Tiff, I need your help. Come over to the "We had a car wreck" Thread. This 14 year old kid is wanting to use a Britax Regent....

BudgieStew

If it passes the Used Seat Checklist > http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx < then it's fair to divide the original cost by the life span of the seat (usually 6 years), then subtract the amount equivalent to how long you've owned the seat & also subtract any extra amount for faded cover, etc. -- this would be the asking price or "buy it now"....

All my seats pass...
Thanks for the formula..that's a great idea!!!

Update
I do find its pricing my seats a bit higher then I would have figured. But then again most people bargain so it will end up selling for less then the asking price.
I don't sell on e-bay just locally and neither e-bay or craigslist has any of my type seats up for sale of recent.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC