My sister turned my neice FF

aclayton74

My niece is in a Radian 80 she was born in March of 2008 and weighs just over 20 lbs well my sister was not to keen on RF'ing past a year she used the excuse well my older boys (7 and 4) were turned before a year and they were fine excuse. Well she finally agreed to keep her rear-facing after I hounded her for months!! So she just got a 2001 Dodge Caravan this past Saturday and decided to FF my niece!! I asked her why and her excuse was well she cries when she is RF'ing and is so happy FF'ing. So I know no matter how much I bug her about it she is not going to give in. So tonight my sister and the baby were in my car and I always take my son's extra Roundabout and I of course I intstalled it rear-facing and my sister was like why don't you have it FF'ing I said my car my rules. Guess what my niece didn't cry the whole time she was in my car!! So it just makes me sad that Jillian is now forward facing!! I didn't mean to make this so long but I knew you girls would understand.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Friends and family get the: "Dead kids can't cry." Fortunately I'm a little nicer at checks ;)

-Nicole.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure if Canadian Radians are the same way, but in the US they have a 22 pound FF minimum. That might help if she's still under 22 lbs.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Believe it or not, it's a US thread ;) I do venture out of my cave, once in a while.

aclayton74

Oh I didn't know that US Radians have to be 22 lb to FF!! Well guess what I am calling Sara in the morning to tell her that!! So that means that she would have to RF for awhile longer!!! Thank you!!

aclayton74

Another question how long can you use the infant insert (I am pretty sure that is what it is called) in the Radian 80?

sunnymw

I don't know about the infant insert, but if she DOES keep her FFing, make sure she's using the safe stop :)

aclayton74

So I called her this morning and told her about the 22 lb limit and she was like oh well that will be a problem since she is only 20 lbs or so. So then she has the nerve to ask me for my second Roundabout until Jillian is bigger!! Um I said well than I will need your Radian so I have an extra seat for my second car and she was like oh well I don't want anyone to borrow it!! Just put the kid back RF'ing then!!

Shaunam

So I called her this morning and told her about the 22 lb limit and she was like oh well that will be a problem since she is only 20 lbs or so. So then she has the nerve to ask me for my second Roundabout until Jillian is bigger!! Um I said well than I will need your Radian so I have an extra seat for my second car and she was like oh well I don't want anyone to borrow it!! Just put the kid back RF'ing then!!

She wanted the RA to ff her? Uh no way!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
At least she's 1 I guess. Dh's cousin has her maybe 30#, 35.5" 2.5yo in a booster. :( Her ped said it was o.k. and it's all done for pure convenience b/c I'm guessing she's just a lazy mom. I know in every other area she's not, but this makes me so mad.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The infant insert is for rear-facing use only-- to 30 lbs.

After 30 the infant part comes off, and the body pillow moves up to be a head pillow (RF or FF.)

sunnymw

The infant insert is for rear-facing use only-- to 30 lbs.

After 30 the infant part comes off, and the body pillow moves up to be a head pillow (RF or FF.)

So tell her if she wants to use the pillow, she'll need to turn that seat back around :thumbsup::rolleyes:

kathysr98

I so understand your pain. My 37lb, 4yo niece is in a booster full time, and my coworker's nephew is FF at 9 mo. It just kills me to see people who can't understand how important this is. My SIL buys organic food, whole food vitamins, doesn't allow fast food, etc because she's worried about cancer, but doesn't protect her child from the thing she's most likely to die from. I even sent all the KDM stuff to her & everything. It did no good at all.

Pixels

I just found out my 19mo DNe is FFing at least part-time, probably the majority of the time. I thought he was ERFing this whole time. His mom and grandparents (my ILs) are going to get my whole spiel and a thorough checkup before they leave (we're currently vacationing together). Apparently SIL believes that when the feet touch the back seat, they have to turn (for comfort, not safety). Plus they've been going to their local techs, who don't use any paperwork, do the install for the parents, don't install anywhere near correctly, and don't educate. I showed FIL the major, major errors, quickly showed him how to install the seat correctly, then took it out and made him do it. He said not only did we do it in less than half the time it took three "techs" to do it, it's now tighter than it ever has been.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just empathizing.

PHaley

I understand too. My DGDs parents got so much preaching emails & constant checking that DGD1 made it to 22 months rf before convenience took over and they couldn't take having 2 rf seats in the way of the teens getting into the 3rd row. Then I find out a few months ago that at only 18/19 months & barely 20#s that DGD2 was ff! I was p.o.'d but also so tired of fighting. Then as icing on the cake her mom has the nerve to tell me it was b/c DGD2 wanted to see the t.v. & was the only one who couldn't! Not to mention their straps are loose & they don't use the top tethers because it slows them down when they need to switch cars or take the seats out so they can haul stuff!

ok that was much longer than I planned but yeah I UNDERSTAND and its a horrible feeling. I hope she turns your niece back around and leaves her that way for a while :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC