The Fire Department tested my seat...

amyd

What on earth does this mean? I hear it often enough that I don't think people are just making it up. So what are they doing at the FD to "test" these seats? Anyone know? Or want to hazard a guess? Right now, I'm picturing big burly firemen yanking on the straps with all their might:scratcheshead:

ADS

SarahLong

They're not testing the seat itself, they're testing the seat's install in the vehicle, as well as it's use by the parent. They check the install for correct belt path use, seatbelt/latch not being twisted, tether correctly connected, less than 1in of movement, etc, as well as strap tightness, chest clip placement, shoulder strap height, etc. If it is incorrectly installed, they will show the parent how to correctly do so, and then have the parent reinstall it correctly before they leave, and educate the parent on how to properly harness the child.

Melodiya99

They're not testing the seat itself, they're testing the seat's install in the vehicle, as well as it's use by the parent. They check the install for correct belt path use, seatbelt/latch not being twisted, tether correctly connected, less than 1in of movement, etc, as well as strap tightness, chest clip placement, shoulder strap height, etc. If it is incorrectly installed, they will show the parent how to correctly do so, and then have the parent reinstall it correctly before they leave, and educate the parent on how to properly harness the child.

:yeahthat: I think that's at least what's supposed to happen...the stories I've heard of car seats checked at the firestation haven't always sounded so reliable. I don't think all stations have certified cpsts either.

Cryssy Jane

nope. In my city there are no cpsts at all, fire station, police station, nada. I was pretty disapointed. The excuse given was that they don't have the man power or funding and that it was passed on to the community service traffic people.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The fire stations here don't have techs either but I hear of firefighters "helping out" anyway, despite a direct department policy to send them to the CHP (who do have techs, not always on duty but they'll make an appointment.) That's one of the big reasons I got certified-- the nearest actual check station is a 45 minute drive away and it is almost impossible to find a tech around here.

amyd

No, I don't mean they check the install/use. I mean someone told me that their seat is expired, but the fire department "tested" it & told them it's still okay to use.

Maedze

That just means they talked to a firefighter and said, "hey, this is my car seat, someone said it's not safe, would you mind looking at it," and the helpful jake sticks his head in the window and say, "uh, yeah, looks ok to me".

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That just means they talked to a firefighter and said, "hey, this is my car seat, someone said it's not safe, would you mind looking at it," and the helpful jake sticks his head in the window and say, "uh, yeah, looks ok to me".

:thumbsup:

Yeah, there is really no way for someone to actually test a seat to figure out if it's structurally sound and guarantee that it will hold up in a crash. It's actually bringing a potentially expensive lawsuit against the FD/City should something go wrong, too.

Maedze

Right after I got married, before I had kids or new anything about babies except that vaguely babies went in buckets, Dh relayed an interesting phone call he'd had at work. He was pretty new at the job.

DH: X Fire Deparment, Fire Fighter X speaking, how may I help you?

Lady: Hi, yeah, I have a car seat and my doctor told me you guys install car seats.

DH (covering receiver with palm): Hey Cap'n, do we do car seats?

DH (speaking into phone): Uh, well, did an instruction book come with the car seat, because if you want, you can come over and maybe we can have a go at it.

Lady: Oh good, you do do car seats, I'll be right over!

*click*

And THAT is how a firefighter tests a seat. He looks at the manual and has a go :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC