How do you store seats?

2BunniesMommy

I have a SS1 that is just sitting in the corner of DD2's room, in case I need to take her in someone else's car. I guess I am mostly ok with leaving it there until she outgrows it, but am not sure how to store it at that point if I do not decide to sell it. I did keep the box for it, but am not sure if the garage rafters, where the empty box now is an ok place because of the extreme temps, but at the same time, my car has extreme temps so....? just not sure.

I also have a Frontier that will be taking a little break until DD1 outgrows rear facing in the MR65. I do want to have it handy in case we need to use it in another car, but must make sure it is where the cats can not get to it...can you just imagine what claws would do to that lovely pink mesh? Yikes! Worried about how dirty it would get just sitting in the garage waiting to be needed, but just not sure how/ where to keep it safe.

Any ideas? What does everyone else do?

Thanks, Tori

ADS

armyfam

I put mine in the finished part of my basement. If I didn't have a basement, I think I would put it in a closet. Right now, some of our seats are in a climate controlled storage facility. I don't think I would put it in the garage.

2BunniesMommy

A basement, wow that would be nice. I think there are two houses in the whole town wiht basements. Yeah, not liking the garage idea at all. Probably will go with a closet, if I can get the huge seat in there!

armyfam

I know. I LOVED our basement:love:
DH is in the Army so we move a lot. Our last house is the only one we have ever had with a basement. Now we are in Army housing again, so not even a garage:( or yard for that matter:( UGH...
Seems like the seat may pick up some "garage odors" if left there for awhile. That's my thinking. HTH

southpawboston

basements and garages are fine in general, but one thing to consider is dampness and food residue on the seat-- mold will grow!

we had a scenera stored in our basement in its original box. after a few months we found that the straps and parts of the cover had grown mold! the mold corresponded to where bits of food or juice had spilled. we were able to wash the cover, but we ditched the straps and bought new ones from dorel. once all the food residue was gone, no new mold grew. so basically, only store a seat that is completely clean and dry.

Morganthe

I know. I LOVED our basement:love:
DH is in the Army so we move a lot. Our last house is the only one we have ever had with a basement. Now we are in Army housing again, so not even a garage:( or yard for that matter:( UGH...

Hmmm, not sure if what I have constitutes a 'basement', but it's sure better than military housing here. We could fill two of their 4 bedroom 'apartments' because there IS no storage, or yard. Poor you. :crying:

Currently, my unused seats are downstairs in the 'wardrobe room' -- One lone window high up & under dd's bedroom window for fresh air. It's dry in there. They're in their original boxes & plastic. Not too worried about them.

If I had to do long term storage, I'd stuff the original boxes & seats full of packing paper (gots plenty around. :p) and put them up in our very dry attic. It gets hot up there, but all that paper working as insulation will keep them at a normal temp. Found that out from our last location.

TheQueenMother

mine are in the baby's closet. I nest them with one against the wall and one flipped backward and upside down over that one. Spare covers are on the second shelf above them and baby's clothes are hanging on the top shelf so the seats do not get in my way.

AtTheSouthDam

MIne are in the garage, on shleves. It is insulated in there (used to be a mother in law suite) and, fortunately for me, it is too dry to grow mold in Colorado :D

munchkin

I keep the original boxes and store them in the box in a closet (although the Frontier is hiding in a Marathon box right now ;)). Most of my covers are folded into plastic bags and in a closet hanging thing. I love how the Britax boxes fit well together.

ZephyrBlue

In original plastic bags in a bedroom closet. I keep all the boxes, too. My seats are too near and dear to my heart to keep them in an attic, shed or garage :eek:

NannyMom

My front hall closet is storage since it's so big and we have no other storage area. So, the carseats are all sitting in there. I don't have them in boxes. I try to keep them off the floor (on a shelf at the top of the closet), but I have too many for that now.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In the car seat closet, with a lock.

What, everyone doesn't have a car seat closet? Oh...

Well, the ones that don't fit go in the climate-controlled, sealed-up, vermin-free storage space.

Yes, I have a problem.

rodentranger

The two in-use seats obviously live in my car. The other two occasional-use seats live in my living room behind the recliner. I have the MA on top of the TF and a pillow on th seat of the MA to keep kitties off it. Not that my cats want anything at all to do with the seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC