Saw the RA 50 today. Concerned about baby's fit (pics)

Holly

I went to BRU today to check out the RA50 and try Josh in it.
I like the seat, but it seems like the hip straps sit weird on his legs, not up higher on his hips. Is that just how it is with little babies but it will fit better when he's older?
Is it still safe to use with it like that?
We're not getting him a seat until August.

These are camera phone pics.

JoshinRA502.jpg

JoshinRA50.jpg

JoshinRA503.jpg

ETA, the velcro on the harness didn't line up with the velcro on the cover. I had to really stretch it to get it to reach. Maybe that harness was put on wrong somehow?

Last edited:
ADS

Maedze

That's how Britax seats fit on littles. And on olders, too. The belt rests firmly on the thighs.

cookie123

That crotch buckle looks extremely short. Is it possible it was hung up under neath there some way? I could just be photo angle.

NannyMom

That crotch buckle looks extremely short. Is it possible it was hung up under neath there some way? I could just be photo angle.

There are 3 crotch buckle positions. The seat arrives with it on the inner most slot. Maybe Josh needs it moved out. I knoe BabyS did.

Holly

That's how Britax seats fit on littles. And on olders, too. The belt rests firmly on the thighs.

Ok, so thats how it's supposed to fit on him then? I've never used a real Britax before so I was expecting it to fit like all other seats I've used.

It did seem really short to me too. I think he needed the next outward crotch bucke position, but I didn't want to move it. Hopefully it will fit better when it's moved out.

Holly

Does the FPSVD fit him differently?

I haven't tried him in the FPSVD yet (I will today when he wakes up) but the harness sits more on the girls hips than on their thighs in the FPSVD and Radian. The harness on the keyfit goes over his hips.

brightredmtn

It did seem really short to me too. I think he needed the next outward crotch bucke position, but I didn't want to move it. Hopefully it will fit better when it's moved out.

I'd guess that when you move out the crotch buckle it will change the way the harness hits his legs/hips.

I love his little fat tummy! Baby chub is the best!

Holly

Does the FPSVD fit him differently?

ha ha, I should have tried that sooner.
It fits him about the same way as the RA50. I never knew it was supposed to fit like that, Abby was 17 months when we got the FPSVD and it fit her more on her hips.
The FPSVD is on the furthest out crotch position (it can ONLY use that position even though there are 2 other positions in the shell) and it seems to fit a lot better. I don't know if it's the same length as the RA50 crotch buckle, but it should definitly help to have further out.

June2009082.jpg

June2009069.jpg

June2009079.jpg

zactayaus

Holly,

I thought the same thing about the harness going over the thighs when I tried Gavin out in it two weeks ago. It just seemed odd to me. And I also thought the crotch strap was really short but I'm sure he needed it moved out further as well.

Oh, did I forget to mention what a cutie Josh is.:)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC