XT owners.... can you try something for me?? (re: harness removal)

canmom

I was wondering if you can try something for me... have you ever tried to remove the harness from this seat? I will post the issue I'm having... just wanted to see if others could give it a try for me. Post back with results!!Thanks a bunch!!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: XT owners.... can you try something for me??

Remove it completely? I haven't tried. I have MOVED the harness on my XT, though.

canmom

Try to take it out completely... if you can. I took it off the harness yoke, pulled it through the shell (as if to change harness heights) and then take off the access panels. You can just try one side... no need to do both.

AtTheSouthDam

I'm gonna guess the problem you are having is that the harness strap will not fit through the buckle tongue and niether will the buckle tongue fit through the hole the access panel goes to, rendering the harness non-removable?

canmom

I'm gonna guess the problem you are having is that the harness strap will not fit through the buckle tongue and niether will the buckle tongue fit through the hole the access panel goes to, rendering the harness non-removable?

Exactly!! Has this been covered? I noticed it a couple months ago and kept forgetting to see if anyone else has the issue. My problem is that my XT came out of the box with a dirty harness. SK sent me a new one and new buckle tongues.... only problem is the tongues they replaced the original ones with have exposed metal. I don't want those because they will likely fray the harness. I figured if I can't get the original tongues off of the original harness, I'm not going to get them on the new one :(.

AtTheSouthDam

I am assuming you ahve the new harness in? I was unable to actually remove it but I didn't try too hard once I noticed the buckle tongue issue (that and a long day of yard work makes me lazy).
You might be able to get the old tongues on the new harness, it can be easier going with the fabric fold and over the threading then back over it. It may be worth trying but it would mean destroying the old harness :(

canmom

I really don't like it... I tried for hours. Even another tech and I gave it a go and decided it was impossible! You’re right... it could work the other way a little easier but the slot on that buckle tongue is so small. They had to have put the buckle tongues on the webbing and then sowed the loop for the harness yoke :mad:.

ETA: no... still have the original in... I'm determined not to use the new buckle tongues, I need to call SK and see if they have wider ones without exposed metal.

AtTheSouthDam

Ok, I tried again to remove the harness going the other way, but the plate cannot be angled in way to get through that slot. So if you can't get the buckle tongues off then you can not remove the harness.
Bleh, this why I usually wait 6 months bbefore buying a newly released carseat. They need time for the bugs to be found and fixed.

canmom

Yup.... the only way to remove that harness is to cut it.... no other way to do it. Not what I would call a removable harness :thumbsdown:.

NannyMom

My guess is that they realized the problem with the buckle tongues, and switched to the exposed metal ones. The expeosed metal ones can be removed becaue they don't have the extra plastic wrapped around the metal, making the opening smaller. So even if you call SK, I'm sure they won't have plastic covered ones with a bigger opening. Britax seats are the same way I believe.

Can you just cut the old harness and remove the old buckle tongues. Then try to put it on the new harness? Since someone mentioned going on may be easier than going off.

Can you use the new harness and new tongues and if the harness frays have SK replace it again?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC