Britax Regent Airport Travel Question

specific

I have a special needs child who is a small 8 year old. She has flown before twice in the past few months and not used any carseat on the plane--we did not use a car at the location we flew to.

This time we travel, we will be renting a car upon landing there. So we need to take our Britax Regent along. I am worried about it being damaged so would like to check it at the gate as people do strollers.

The problem is I have my hands full with just my autistic child! Much less lugginig around this large carseat & luggage. So I am searching for ways to bring it along easier.

We aren't flying experts and this is all new to us. I will be alone traveling with my daughter. I saw people somehow attaching smaller car seats onto rolling luggage. Is this an option for the larger Regent?

She has to be in a 5 pt harness car seat to be safe in vehicles so going without is not an option nor is a booster. She only weighs 53 lbs and 48 in tall. She would not sit still and would move around if not buckled in and possibly would climb onto the driver.

Any purchases to help with this need to be done soon so the item will be here in time before our trip. Any suggestions on something that would help us in this situation? We do not have a stroller as her weight OR height rules out most all strollers except double strollers.

Thank you

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Go Go Kidz Travelmate, which attaches to the carseat so you can wheel it through the airport, claims to be compatible with the Regent -- hopefully somebody will be able to confirm with real-life experience.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm going to second the Ride Safer Travel Vest, it's very light weight and should work perfectly for her! For even more security, be sure to use the top tether that comes with it.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would look at the safe rider vest. It will be easier to travel with. They won't be able to break it on the airplane. Another option, but $$ is to get a frontier. They can be used on the plane unlike the regent.

Leslie

We just got back from our trip using the Go Go kidz travelmate and it was WONDERFUL to have, however, I'm looking at compatible carseats and the Regent is NOT one of them. The frontier is however.

If you're bringing along a carry-on, I've seen a connector strap sold that will attatch your carseat to your rolling luggage.

specific

Safe Traffic Systems Ride Safer Vest--I am looking but can't find how large, tall, or big the child has to be before using this. Would she sit tall enough in the rental car to be safe?

After wholeheartedly knowing she is safe in Britax car seats, I am looking at the differences! I want her to be safe.

Thank you for all of the responses. I am looking up information but couldn't find that out yet.

specific

Also we do have the EZ-on vest but I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet. I had no idea how many pieces there were to it and haven't looked up how to put it in the car. I expected it to be easier to install than a car seat! Since she still fits into the Regent, I haven't been in a rush to find someone to help me install it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The RSTV is very different from the EZ-on vests. My daughter has Sensory Processing Disorder and loves it; if your daughter is helped by a weighted vest (if they've tried that with her) you may love the RSTV. My daughter is noticably more focused and less cranky and better behaved while wearing hers; she actually will ask to wear it even when we're not in the car if she's feeling overwhelmed.

The size Small is for children 35-60 lbs, and the size Large is for 50-80 lbs. It can be used with a lap/shoulder belt (tether optional) OR with a lap belt AND tether (tether mandatory with lap-only belts; must be their special heavy-duty tether anchor over 60 lbs. with the size Large.) If your child is between 50 and 60 lbs., which size you need will depend on her build. Tall and thin, use a Large (even if a little below 50 lbs. you may need a Large for height.) Shorter, smaller build, a Small may be a better fit if she's barely 50.

It doesn't have a shell, but it provides EXCELLENT protection nonetheless. The child is very "contained" once strapped in, and head excursion numbers (how far the head goes forward) exceed the national crash test standard. If you are renting a car, it will be new, and should have a lap/shoulder belt in the center, so she can be placed far from any possible impact in the center. It eliminates fit problems in rental cars completely, since it will be able to be used in any rental car you can get, really. (The Regent, on the other hand, may not fit/install well in some cars.) Where do you live? There are a few stores that carry it in different areas around the country, or one of us who has one might be able to meet up and show you one if you want to see it in person. Or, you can buy return shipping insurance to know that you'll only be out a few dollars if you have to return it (elitecarseats.com offers this service and carries the Ride Safer Travel Vest.)

I would not buy a Frontier just for travel. The price tag is too hefty and the slots are lower than the Regent's. If I knew how much room she has left in her Regent and how much she weighs, I could help steer you toward cheaper seats that would still fit her, if you decide not to get the RSTV.

specific

I doubt anyone lives near me as it is a tiny town!

I do have questions before buying this.

I would love to see more pictures of it on and how the seatbelt is threaded through it. I can't tell much about that. Does anyone have one for their child? I just looked on youtube for a video of it being put on and there isn't one. (Youtube usually has videos of everything!)

Is it simple to get on and off? Will I be able to do it easily...correctly?

I am afraid my child might be unbuckling the seatbelt in this as it will be a novelty to her. I guess we could start using it before our trip so the novelty wears off.

I had measured her from a sitting position but my post didnt go through earlier and now I don't know where I wrote down the measurement! She isn't very tall for her age but I am afraid a growth spurt would make the small size too small!

Will this keep my child sitting completely back or will she be able to scoot forward? We will probably have issues with this.

Am I understanding correctly...no need for the tether IF the rental car has a lap and shoulder seatbelt? Most rental cars will have a place for tether though right? and this would keep her back in the seat.

Thank you for being so much help! This will be much better than taking along her huge carseat! I have worried and worried about traveling by airplane then renting a car because of it. I just decided it was time to bite the bullet and do it!

specific

Ok I found the website and was able to see more pictures and descriptions on how to install it. It looks simple enough.

Our vehicle does not have a rear middle seat with a lap and shoulder seatbelt so it would only be for traveling. So is there a specific rental car I could request to ensure it has lap and shoulder seatbelts in the rear seats? I was planning on renting a van to ensure the Regent would fit so I don't mind paying a bit more to make sure we have what we need for safety. My peace of mind is worth the cost! I don't want to be nervous driving around.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Even though she has to be outboard in your car, I would use it a couple days before you travel. So, you know well how to use it and she has gotten to try it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is it simple to get on and off? Will I be able to do it easily...correctly?

I find it pretty simple. It takes about 3 times as long to put it in as doing up a harness, but not a huge deal. The vest goes on very easily.
I am afraid my child might be unbuckling the seatbelt in this as it will be a novelty to her. I guess we could start using it before our trip so the novelty wears off.
I don't know that she would be able to; it would depend on the car. In the car we most often use it in my daughter can't easily reach the buckle because it ends up behind her.

I had measured her from a sitting position but my post didnt go through earlier and now I don't know where I wrote down the measurement! She isn't very tall for her age but I am afraid a growth spurt would make the small size too small!

I doubt it! My daughter is just over 35 lbs., but is very very very skinny (very tall for her weight, with a long torso to boot) and she still has several inches to go in it. If your daughter is average build, not exceptionally skinny, I think you could probably get good use out of it.
Will this keep my child sitting completely back or will she be able to scoot forward? We will probably have issues with this.

She will not be able to scoot anywhere in it. When properly tightened and installed it is VERY confining, and because of the angle most children are unable to undo it themselves.
[quote[Am I understanding correctly...no need for the tether IF the rental car has a lap and shoulder seatbelt? Most rental cars will have a place for tether though right? and this would keep her back in the seat.
[/quote]

This is correct. And she will sit back with or without a tether-- the tether just helps to further control forward head movement in a crash. ;thumbsup:
Thank you for being so much help! This will be much better than taking along her huge carseat! I have worried and worried about traveling by airplane then renting a car because of it. I just decided it was time to bite the bullet and do it![/QUOTE]

Our vehicle does not have a rear middle seat with a lap and shoulder seatbelt so it would only be for traveling. So is there a specific rental car I could request to ensure it has lap and shoulder seatbelts in the rear seats? I was planning on renting a van to ensure the Regent would fit so I don't mind paying a bit more to make sure we have what we need for safety. My peace of mind is worth the cost! I don't want to be nervous driving around.

I doubt it will be an issue! Most rentals are this model year or sometimes last model year. So, 09s, 08s at the earliest. Most vehicles have had lap/shoulder belts in all positions for a while now. All late-model cars (other than convertibles and possibly trucks) should also have 3 tether anchors in the back-- one for each position. (Tether positions in vans vary widely, but really you shouldn't need one if you go with the vest.) You do need head support to the level of the ears behind her, but if she's not tall that really shouldn't be an issue. If you're worried, call the rental place and ask what the cars are that they rent in the class you are looking for. Then look up the vehicles online, and find out if they all have center headrests and 3 lap/shoulder belts. If only some do, call up and see if you can reserve a specific one.

I agree that trying it out ahead of time, even outboard, is a good idea, to make sure you can forsee any problems you might have with it.

specific

Okay I have one more question. Where does the crotch strap connect to? I can't tell from the pictures on any website.

Thanks again for all of your help! I am incredibly nervous about not being able to install it myself. So I am going to order it quickly so I can practice and ask questions if I need help BEFORE our trip! :thumbsup:

TerisBoys

Okay I have one more question. Where does the crotch strap connect to? I can't tell from the pictures on any website.

Thanks again for all of your help! I am incredibly nervous about not being able to install it myself. So I am going to order it quickly so I can practice and ask questions if I need help BEFORE our trip! :thumbsup:

It connects the front and back of the vest to hold it down. If you've seen an infant's life vest with the strap between the legs - it's very similar in design (as far as straps go).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The crotch strap is also optional as long as you get a good fit without it, if she doesn't like it. (My daughter needs it to hold the vest down, but did I mention how SKINNY she is?)

I am incredibly nervous about not being able to install it myself.

You will be able to do it. Really. It's very simple. Just put vest on, sit child in seat, route through lap guides, pull out slack, route through shoulder guide, close cover. Done. If desired, have tether hooked to shoulder clips ahead of time and once buckled, simply clip to anchor and remove slack. :)

specific

The crotch strap won't be a problem for her as she uses one daily in the Britax Regent harness. I just couldn't tell from the pictures where it clipped on.

Thank you!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's a bit different from a crotch strap on a 5-point in the way it sits, that's why some kids don't like it. I find it easy enough to undo it when getting her out, even if she's wearing the vest getting out of the car, so it's easier for her to walk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC