Would you buy a carseat on Ebay?

frugalmom

Would you buy one from Ebay?
Why or why not?

I heard that if you buy a seat on Ebay if it is not from an autorized dealer than it voids the warranty.
My question is how would the manufaucter of the carseat know that it was sold on Ebay?

ADS

2BunniesMommy

They would know if they required the receipt. I would not buy a used car seat on ebay. I would buy a new in box seat from a store, but not from a person.

MomE

And make sure it's a reputable store! I got scammed when I bought my safeseat there. It was the only place I could find the pattern I liked, and the seller had a fair amount of good rep. But they charged my card, disappeared, and then either sold the number or started charging on it themselves. I buy on ebay frequently, but just be careful....

ZephyrBlue

I'd buy from one of the stores that sells their excess inventory on ebay (Albeebaby does this- I think their ebay store is babysurplus or something like that). I would not buy a seat from an individual seller, unless the box was factory sealed. FWIW, I've never had Britax ask for a recepit when replacing parts or a cover, so I don't know how important the "buying from an authorized retailer" is.

heyruthie

I'd buy from one of the stores that sells their excess inventory on ebay (Albeebaby does this- I think their ebay store is babysurplus or something like that). I would not buy a seat from an individual seller, unless the box was factory sealed. FWIW, I've never had Britax ask for a recepit when replacing parts or a cover, so I don't know how important the "buying from an authorized retailer" is.

:yeahthat:
i've never had Birtax or Evenflo or Dorel ask for reciepts either, and they've all replaced some things for me. it seems like model number and DOM are the pretty standard inquiries.....

AtTheSouthDam

Sunshine Kids did ask for a receipt when I got my new cover. And no, carseats are the one thing I won't buy on ebay. I have never found a good deal there on a sealed seat that I couldn't replicate at a standard site.

*jen*

Not me, but then I have never bought anything on Ebay. I do like Craigs list(local), but I still wouldn't buy a carseat used. I just wouldn't and even new I would rather go to a store or buy at an online store(like amazon) that I really trust.

U

Unregistered

I also am looking at a new in box car seat on ebay from what appears to be a wholesale retailer (TJ's Baby). But how do I know this is not old product and the expiry date is near or something?? Might never have been used but is old???? Does ebay mandate this aspect of car seats being sold on their site? I saw another site that said they did.

No, I would not.

Yes, Britax DOES ask for receipts. I've dealt with them a couple of times and had to submit receipts. They even verified one of them with Albee where I had purchased it.

lovinwaves

The same is true with strollers, fyi.

Also, many retailers sign a contract which states that are NOT allowed to sell on E-Bay.

I did.. that is where I bought my marathon, but it was through a authorized seller who had a few of the same seat in stock.. I thought it was fine.. I registered the seat and when I got it, it certainly was new in box.. date was feb 09 and it was the end of feb... I did regret one thing, that I could have gotten a better print if I had waited one day (from traveling tikes,) but it took them too long to get back to me and I just got what I could afford.

I would do it just make sure that the seat is really new in box and do inspect it and make sure the seller is autorized or what ever to sell britax seats.. ask lots of questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC