Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Would you buy a carseat on Ebay?

Would you buy one from Ebay?
    Why or why not?

I heard that if you buy a seat on Ebay if it is not from an autorized dealer than it voids the warranty.
    My question is how would the manufaucter of the carseat know that it was sold on Ebay?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Re: Would you buy a carseat on Ebay?

They would know if they required the receipt. I would not buy a used car seat on ebay. I would buy a new in box seat from a store, but not from a person.

Carseat Crazy

And make sure it's a reputable store! I got scammed when I bought my safeseat there. It was the only place I could find the pattern I liked, and the seller had a fair amount of good rep. But they charged my card, disappeared, and then either sold the number or started charging on it themselves. I buy on ebay frequently, but just be careful....

I'd buy from one of the stores that sells their excess inventory on ebay (Albeebaby does this- I think their ebay store is babysurplus or something like that). I would not buy a seat from an individual seller, unless the box was factory sealed. FWIW, I've never had Britax ask for a recepit when replacing parts or a cover, so I don't know how important the "buying from an authorized retailer" is.
    11yo DD *69lb* Backless Turbo
    8.5yo DD *45lb* High Back Turbobooster/Pink Monterey
    6yo DS *43lb* Cowmoo Parkway SG/Lizards In Line Turbobooster
    2y4m DD*24lb*RF in an Alma MR 65 and Kathryn RA 55

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrBlue View Post
    I'd buy from one of the stores that sells their excess inventory on ebay (Albeebaby does this- I think their ebay store is babysurplus or something like that). I would not buy a seat from an individual seller, unless the box was factory sealed. FWIW, I've never had Britax ask for a recepit when replacing parts or a cover, so I don't know how important the "buying from an authorized retailer" is.

i've never had Birtax or Evenflo or Dorel ask for reciepts either, and they've all replaced some things for me. it seems like model number and DOM are the pretty standard inquiries.....
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!

Sunshine Kids did ask for a receipt when I got my new cover. And no, carseats are the one thing I won't buy on ebay. I have never found a good deal there on a sealed seat that I couldn't replicate at a standard site.
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

Carseat Crazy

Not me, but then I have never bought anything on Ebay. I do like Craigs list(local), but I still wouldn't buy a carseat used. I just wouldn't and even new I would rather go to a store or buy at an online store(like amazon) that I really trust.

Unregistered

I also am looking at a new in box car seat on ebay from what appears to be a wholesale retailer (TJ's Baby). But how do I know this is not old product and the expiry date is near or something?? Might never have been used but is old???? Does ebay mandate this aspect of car seats being sold on their site? I saw another site that said they did.

Carseat Crazy

No, I would not.

Yes, Britax DOES ask for receipts. I've dealt with them a couple of times and had to submit receipts. They even verified one of them with Albee where I had purchased it.
    Carla
    DS1 - 9y - FF Nautilus booster
    DS2 - 6y - FF harnesed Frontier
    DS3 - 3y - FF Britax Roundabout,

The same is true with strollers, fyi.

Also, many retailers sign a contract which states that are NOT allowed to sell on E-Bay.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I did.. that is where I bought my marathon, but it was through a authorized seller who had a few of the same seat in stock.. I thought it was fine.. I registered the seat and when I got it, it certainly was new in box.. date was feb 09 and it was the end of feb... I did regret one thing, that I could have gotten a better print if I had waited one day (from traveling tikes,) but it took them too long to get back to me and I just got what I could afford.

I would do it just make sure that the seat is really new in box and do inspect it and make sure the seller is autorized or what ever to sell britax seats.. ask lots of questions.
    Julianna 8/15/02,Adult seat belt Fiona 12/1/05 Harmony backless booster Nolan 8/3/08 ffing in a maestro, and booster training in a vivo seat re-arranging at the moment