Comparing torso and total height

cmm7

I know all kids have different torso heights even if they are the same size, but I am curious as to how different.

If you don't mind could you post your children/daycare children/grandchildren/etc.'s overall height, age, weight, and torso height?

Yesterday I measured two children I baby-sit and got...

5 yrs, 10 mos- 49.5", 60 lbs, 17" torso (torso is 34% of her height)
3 yrs, 1 mo- 36.5", 31 lbs, 13.5" torso (36% of her height)

Thanks

ADS

scatterbunny

5 years, 5 months (just a few days shy of)--48.5 inches, 52 pounds, 17 inch torso (she's dead-even with the top slots of her Fisher Price Futura)

When she was 2.5 years old, 38 inches tall and 33 pounds her torso height was 14.5 inches (she had just outgrown her Cosco Alpha Omega by height)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DD1 is 43-44" tall, approx. 18" torso, and 42 lbs. at almost age 5
DD2 is 33" tall, approx. 13" torso, and 23 lbs. at 16 months old

LuvBug

In his pajamas just now DS was about 40.75" 37.5lbs with a 16" torso. With regular clothes on he is usually about 38-40lbs depending on what he has on(a pair of lined blue jeans, long sleeve shirt, and boots can add a suprising amount of weight on a 3yo and can affect their torso height just a tad). He is 3y4m if you cant see my sig.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
mine are in my siggy as well. my girls seem to have my short torso... we are all legs, not so fun when you carry 9lbs babies in your belly! LOL

hsjwmom

dd#1

6 yrs 3 months
height: 44 3/4"
torso: 16"
weight: approx 44lbs

dd#2

4 yrs 6 months
height: 41 1/4"
torso: 15"
weight: approx 39lbs

I just measured them tonight. The really weird thing is, even with only a 16" torso, I swear DD#1 has outgrown her MA! DD#2 is already in the top slots, too! I really don't get it :confused:

LuvBug

I just measured them tonight. The really weird thing is, even with only a 16" torso, I swear DD#1 has outgrown her MA! DD#2 is already in the top slots, too! I really don't get it :confused:

DS is the same way. A year ago this month when he turned FF he went straight to the top slots. By January he had 3/4-1" in his marathon. We went ahead with a husky and he was about 1cm below the second from bottom slots. Now he is about .5-1" above the second from bottom slots, but his cousin's MA he hits almost right where he did in his MA before we sold it 10 months ago. He has for certain grown since then, but hits her MA like he did his 1+ torso inch ago. Hers is denim and his was colonial blue(that plush grey/blue one BRU had) so I do think that has something to do with it, hers has worn thin. When I sit him in the displays at target that are a similar material he is right at the top slots like I think he would be in his if we still had it. And this is with a 16" torso that I measure(but I dont think the sitting against the wall and measuring is exact-just close- because they will still tend to slouch and the floor has no give like a padded seat).
Ive said before I think some kids sit different in them. DS always sits straight up and with his butt as far into the seat as possible. If he slouched and scooted towards the crotch buckle he would have more room, but that is unsafe.

Dillipop

Dillon 3 years 6 months overall height 40.5 weight 35.8 and torso 14.5 (not sure how since he only has 1 inch or so before outgrowing the marathon...)

Gilbey 4 months overall height 25.5 weight 17.6 and torso 11.5 (depends on the diaper since some are bulkier than others)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ is almost exactly 3.5, lol, and is 38", 36.5# naked, and has a 15"? torso. I think that 39%.

Evan will be 2 in a few wks, 32", 24.5#?, and I'm guessing a 13" torso. That's 40%.

Ilana is 2wks, 20", 7.5#?, and I'm guessing about 7.5" for torso. :) That's 38%.

My whole house are official members of the long torso club! Dh is 5'11" w/ a 30" inseam if that tells you anything!

Splash

15 months
28ish pounds
34.5 inches
14.5 inch torso
That is in a large fuzzi bunz with a large joey bunz and one sam's blue towel, if anyone cares ;)
in a paper diaper, he's got about an inch more room, so I'd say he's probably between 13.5 and 14.

Dd 13y 7m, 62.75" tot. ht., 21.5" torso ht.; 110-ish lbs.
Ds 11y 7m, 57.5" tot. ht., 19" torso ht.; 85-90 lbs.
Dd 9y 6m, 53.5" tot. ht., 18.5" torso ht.; 55 lbs.
Ds 7y 6m, 51.5" tot. ht., 17.5" torso ht.; 55-60 lbs.
Dd 4y 11m, 41" tot. ht., 14.75" torso ht.; 35-ish lbs.
Dd 2y 7m, 34.5" tot. ht., 12.5" torso ht.; 25 lbs.

Dh has a LONG torso (6' tall, 32" inseam)
I have a SHORT torso (5'4" tall, 30" inseam)

That's right. He is 8" taller than me, and my legs are only 2" shorter than his! LOL I joke that if his legs were the "right" size, he'd be 6'6", and if my torso were also the "right" size, I'd be 5'9" or 5'10"... Our kids are a fair mix of the short/long body parts.

Shaunam

My DS is 22 months, about 34.5", 29 lbs, and has a 15+" torso (I'm having a hard time getting an accurate measurement, but I think it's at least 15"). That's give or take depending on his diaper. In a bulky night time diaper, his torso is almost 16". :eek: Thank goodness he wears trimmer diapers in the car.

So that's what? 43% of his total height? I'm not sure if my math is right or not. :confused: He does have a very long torso though. He wears size 2T pants and 4T shirts. He's built like his daddy. :D

cmm7

Thanks everyone! I figured that most kids have their torso as about 32-39% of their body. None (that I remember) were under 30% and we had a couple in the low 40%s. Thanks, everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC