Need recommendation for spare RF seat

tracee877

I need to get a seat for the grandparents' car since they watch DS2 on occasion. They have a 98 GMC Jimmy with lap belt only in the rear middle I believe. DS2 would have to go there since the older 2 will be in the outboard seats with lap/shoulder belts. I really want to get a lightweight seat that is super easy to install RF and is easy for grandparents to operate. So what would you recommend? DS2 is 9 months, 21 lbs and 30". TIA!

ADS

Caseylaine

New Scenara...? Cheap, lightweight and pretty basic.

Is there enough room for that and your other two kids? (Are they in seats?)

jujumum

My favorite inexpensive convertible is the Fisher Prince Save Voyage Deluxe (FPSVD) from albeebaby $109 total delivered. It is easy to install and easy to use. The DOM is 8/07 and the seats are discontinued, but they are made by Britax, come with a 1 year warranty, and are very similar to the DC/MA (the only difference is a different base, the lack of bells and whistles, no plush cover, no rf tether).:thumbsup:

tracee877

It seems like I have read that the Scenera is hard to install RF? I could try it out I guess. My other two are in Cosco backless boosters. The backseat in the Jimmy is pretty wide, I have never had probs getting 3 across back there.

tracee877

My favorite inexpensive convertible is the Fisher Prince Save Voyage Deluxe (FPSVD) from albeebaby $109 total delivered. It is easy to install and easy to use. The DOM is 8/07 and the seats are discontinued, but they are made by Britax, come with a 1 year warranty, and are very similar to the DC/MA (the only difference is a different base, the lack of bells and whistles, no plush cover, no rf tether).:thumbsup:

Any idea how heavy it is? I just worry about the in laws having to lift and carry a heavy seat.

DahliaRW

The scenera is a pain to install rfing. If you can install it I wouldn't worry, but it'll take a pool noodle and such to get a good recline.

There is a 15% off coupon for BRU starting Friday and good for a couple of weeks. It'll make the nw graco MR around 135 I think. Or you could use it on an Evenflo Triumph Advance to get a decent seat for not too much. No idea on how easy they would be to install with a lap belt, however. The old evenflo triumph wasn't too bad, but still took some work.

jujumum

Any idea how heavy it is? I just worry about the in laws having to lift and carry a heavy seat.

Pretty light - 16lbs?. Not as light as a Scerena.

BTW, my sitter can't figure out how to get a good rf install with a Scerena - I need to send her the video with the noodle. I have her use my spare MA & DC (that I install for her myself) when she needs to drive my kids.:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is that the Jimmy with the teensy tiny middle seat? We had one in my tech class and we got very few good installs in that spot. I think the only one that fit really well was a now-recalled infant seat. In fact, I think there used to be a prohibition in the manual on putting a car seat in that spot (although they changed that to say that if you can get a good install, you can do it. But a lot of seats, you won't get a good install with.)

This would most certainly be a "try before you buy" situation to me-- and you may not be able to find a seat that is lightweight, easy to use, inexpensive, AND fits well. You may have to go for "fits well" first and if you hit ANY of the other criteria, you get lucky.

ETA: just checked carseatdata.org. The only thing THEY have in the center of an old Jimmy is an infant seat, too. Oh, and a SS2, but that doesn't help much... Seems you need something narrow. I'm thinking if you can't get a Scenera-- and I am not sure anyone in my class or the instructor got a good install with it-- you may have to go narrower. Coccoro? Radian? I don't know. Like I said, try it out before buying!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, there is a firm rule that you must only install a seat back there (in the center, actually, the manual says NO seats at all, but they rescinded that and made the new rule) that fits between the seatbelt anchors. The Scenera may have too wide of a base. FP has a very narrow base. Try your MA and see, because I think it's about that wide, and would install the same, essentially. It weighs less because there are no hefty LATCH bars on the side.

andre149

I drove a 95 Jimmy, I think the back seats are the same. The rule is if it can fit between the seatbelt hooks you can use it... good luck with that. I NEVER found a seat that would install good back there. When I was 16 my sister put my neice's seat in there rf'ing before we knew about the not putting seats in the middle. It seemed like a great install, didn't move, etc... until I turned a corner and looked back to find my neice tipping WAY to the side (she was touching the bottom of the outboard seat!) Try anything out before you buy it... it'll have to be narrow and make sure you check the install REALLY well. Good luck!

tracee877

Oh great!:rolleyes: Well, I had no idea about these strange rules for this car! I am not absolutely sure of the year on the Jimmy, but it does not have LATCH. I will ask them tomorrow what year it is and then go from there. Thanks for all the input!

tracee877

One more thing. If I can't put a seat in the center, what should I do? Their only other vehicle is a large Chevy truck. That won't hold 3 kids either. I doubt they're in the market for a new car.:(

aclayton74

i have a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada and I have yet to find a seat that will fit in the middle I have tried a Snugride, Roundabout and Marathon. My sister has a Radian I could try that.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Trade vehicles with them when they have all three kids?

:yeahthat:

That's what we did when we didn't have a way to fit all 3 in the back of my mom's car. (We now have a way, but for a while we were trading every time.)

The rule is for all the Jimmys with that narrow lap-only position. I don't think the exact year matters much...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC