Britax Advocate Review (Convertible Child Seat with Side Impact Cushions)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No, they are not actually airbags. They don’t inflate or pose any type of risk whatsoever. They are actually air-filled rubber cushions, and they may help protect the occupant and adjacent passengers in side impacts. The Britax Advocate CS is the latest convertible seat from Britax and touts “True Side Impact Protection” along with the new “Side Impact Cushion Technology” feature. This model can be used rear-facing for children 5 to 35 pounds, and front-facing for children above 1 year old and from 20 to 65 pounds. The maximum standing height limit is 49 inches. On their website, Britax lists seated shoulder height limits of 10.5″ to 16″ while rear-facing and 12″-16″ front-facing. If you’ve read my review of the Boulevard CS, you will find it is nearly identical because the Advocate CS is basically a Boulevard CS with the addition of side impact cushion technology.

Conclusion

The Advocate CS is the latest convertible from Britax with some great safety and convenience features, including the side impact cushions. The ease of installation and adjustments is exceptional, at least for us, in our vehicles, with our kids. The side impact protection alone makes it a good choice to consider if you are using it in an outboard seating position. Most convertible carseats with a 5-point harness should provide reasonable side impact protection, though the Advocate CS should be at least a modest improvement. On the other hand, models like the Advocate CS should have a significant advantage in side impacts for kids over 40 pounds who would otherwise be using a backless booster or other booster that offers minimal side impact protection. For parents who know how to get a snug harness fit already and don’t have room for the wide side impact cushions, the standard Boulevard is a great alternative for less money. For bigger kids where the crotch strap might be a concern, the Britax Decathlon is worth consideration.

For those who like the Click and Safe feature and have plenty of room for installation, the Advocate CS is a great choice for most babies and toddlers. As with any seat, parents of preemies or very small infants closer to 5 pounds should definitely check the fit before buying, due to the relatively high bottom slots. On the other end, many kids should make it to 50 pounds or beyond in the Advocate. So, used from birth, this seat should last a typical child for 5-6 years. My son is very tall for having just turned 4 years old and I estimate he should get another year in the Advocate CS before he outgrows it by height. Like many manufacturers, Britax recommends a six year limit on the use of their restraints. I’ve only had a few days experience with the ADCS, so keep in mind these comments may change as I get more experience with the seat. I will update this review as it is necessary.

For the full review, please visit:

http://carseatblog.com/?p=2454

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC