Chickened Out Today

Yoshi

Today, we were all going to the mall and stopped at the dry cleaner's to pick up DH's shirts. I was waiting in the car with my kids and noticed the Volvo Cross Country wagon pull in the spot next to us. The dad gets out, his daughter #1 gets out by herself (she was in a turbobooster, maybe she was 5) dad goes to other daughter (3-ish)and unbuckles her. It appeared that she was in a Graco Comfortsport, FF. As he takes her out, I notice the entire seat wiggles and pulls away from the seat back ALOT- like a small dog could burrow behind it and sleep there! I could only watch in horror!

I kept thinking what could I say that wouldn't come out like I thought he was a complete idiot? (When I am upset, I am very to-the-point and have trouble using tact!!!) We left before they did, and that was that. So I feel awful, but I guess I need to prepare for the next time I witness something like this, any ideas??

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I wish. I don't have the nerve to talk to strangers about their mis-uses. I have a hard enough time getting up the nerve to talk to my daycare parents, for fear they will think I'm trying to tell them how to be a parent and will yank their kids! I eventually do, but it takes time. Here are the current mis-use I see in my daycare kids....

Family 1: 2 boys 4yrs 43lbs in a Turbobooster (I GAVE them because he was in a harnessed seat despite being over the weight limit, with straps below his shoulders, and brother in a EXPIRED by 2yrs seat and straps that couldn't be tightened). 3yr boy 38lbs in brothers seat after I confiscated the expired one, with straps so loose, he can easily get out of them.

Family 2: 2 kids 3yrs was in a harnessed booster...everything basically OK there, but was going to use it after an accident, so I loaned them my RA till she can get a new seat. 9mo, 24lbs in a infant seat with a 22lbs limit...she knows he's over the limit, but hasn't yet got him a new seat...wanted to go straight into a ff seat, but hopefully I've convinced her to get a Scenera to rf. They will NOT rf beyond 12mo. Haven't showed her videos yet...;)

Family 3: 2.5yr 35lbs girl in a BELT POSITIONING BOOSTER...ugh

Family 4: 2.5yr old boy, in ff harnessed booster (he seems fine) but MANY days she has too many kids for seats in her vehicle and have seen kids (6yr old girls) in the CARGO area of her SUV. :eek:

I have spoke to all the families except family #4. They are my newest, and haven't figured out a way to bring it up. The mis-use I see on a daily basis, would probably send a tech to the psych ward! LOL

Yoshi

Gosh, you're right about your last comment there about the psycho ward! Recently I talked my best friend into getting her 3 y.o. boy the Evenflo Generations instead of a booster seat (he is 29lbs and 38"-a skinny minny- they could in no way ever afford anything else) and convinced her to keep her the 1 yr old DD rear-facing (she still is at 18 months:) ) BUT, those kids have the loosest, twistiest straps I have ever seen in my life, and everytime they come here, I cringe because I don't want to drive her crazy, but it is unsafe, so I really should speak up. I guess I just have to do it though. Strangers will most likely NOT appreciate me saying anything, so I probably won't say anything the next time....My teenage son said, "All you can do is make sure she is safe." (meaning his sister) He's probably right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC