River in the German Chicco infant carrier

mykidsmylife

My friend let me borrow this to play with. It comes with the preemie insert, but River is way to big. She is on the 2nd slot. There is a huge gap between her crotch and the crotch strap. This makes lots of room on the sides of her. It reminds me of an American 3-point harness.
It was a pain to install.
I really am starting to like my Snugride a little more. I will try and get pics of it installed later.

009.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have that seat! Or possibly its predecessor. It's TEENY. I mean, RIVER is almost to where she needs to be moved up! (Since slots must be above shoulders.)

The belt path is really cool, though. ;)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'm glad I live here, I don't know how safe I'd feel with that harness (or lack there of) on my newborn.

featherhead

I have a friend with a german Maxi Cosi infant seat and it has the same kind of straps. They look to be about the width of the adjuster strap on the Keyfit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Goodness, the webbing on the harness looks like it would be more at home on my Chicco stroller :thumbsdown:

I have a friend with a german Maxi Cosi infant seat and it has the same kind of straps. They look to be about the width of the adjuster strap on the Keyfit.

Pretty much.

I have a Chicco stroller, too, and it does have about the same kind of webbing.

Another strange thing, there is no mention of expiration in the instructions, or on the seat anywhere at all. :confused:

finn

I have a European Maxi Cosi, the straps are about that wide, it doesn't have an expiration date either, although Maxi Cosi are now saying they should only be used for 5 years. I would prefer a 5 point harness, but have found that infant seats with a 5 point harness don't install well in my European car. There is no mention what so ever of locking clips or locking the seat belt either.

mykidsmylife

The instruction manual I have says that the harness must be at or below (well shows this in a pic).

The base on it sucks. It doesnt say whether or not I can use pool noodles to get a 45 degree angle. The base is flat and pool noodles must be used in my van.
The lap portion of the belt goes through the base then the shoulder portion wraps around the back.

I have to use rolled up towells on her sides b/c I feel as if she is just going to fall out. But she is too big for the infant padding.

I am not thrilled with it and won't use it. I just don't like it.
The other infant seats are much much better. The Maxi Cosi and Romers fit her so much better.

InternationalMama

I have the Maxi-Cosi infant seat, which looks a lot like this so I have a few questions if anybody can help me:

Would it be safe to put a towel like that around the crotch strap if she was in a car? Why do you need to do that? My son was very unhappy in his car seat as a small baby. Maybe I should have been doing something like that to get him in a better position?

Why is there no mention of locking clips in the manual? Do you still need one with a European non-locking seatbelt and this kind of seat (mine has the same over-the-lap round-the-back install as the Chicco)? Does anybody who owns a seat like this have a pic of a locking clip installed? I honestly couldn't figure out how to put one on, when I finally learned through reading here that one was needed.

He has outgrown the seat now, but I just wanted to ask so I could help someone else or for next time we use the seat if we use it again.

Morganthe

I'm glad I live here, I don't know how safe I'd feel with that harness (or lack there of) on my newborn.

There are other infant carseats on the European market. :shrug-shoulders:

I had a friend over to my haus the other day and I was messing with her German Specs Graco baby seat. NICE! :thumbsup: Wide straps with long slightly sticky pads, no stupid chest clips, 5 pt buckle. It fit her 6 week old daughter extremely well. Solid seat. Had a base, but could also be used without. Better than what I've seen for newborns in some US vehicles, esp over-head shield seats. :(

Looked like this, but in different color. (Base is attached in photo)
8A96-GER-lg.jpg

InternationalMama

Morganthe, is that a new seat? I don't remember Graco making seats in Germany when I was looking...

The Junior Mini looks like an interesting alternative to the Britax First Class.

As far as German infant seats go, I'm interested in the Britax Baby-Safe. It's a car seat in which newborns can lie flat.

http://www.babys-mart.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/Britax_Baby-Safe_Sleeper

PS Somebody tell me if my questions before are too detailed for "car seat chat" and I'll start my own thread. :)

mykidsmylife

What I did for the crotch strap would be acceptable. It makes it where she can't slip down and makes her fit better. She currently has a cloth diaper positioned like that in her Graco seat.

As far as the locking clip, YES you can use them and would most likely need them. I know several people who use them on their German seatbelts and they were put there by certified techs.

InternationalMama

Thanks.

I have one more question: There are certified techs in Germany? Any idea how I can find out where to find one? I'd love to have someone check the install on my next car seat...

Maedze

As far as German infant seats go, I'm interested in the Britax Baby-Safe. It's a car seat in which newborns can lie flat.

From a safety perspective, it's preferable for babies NOT to lie flat. Unless they have breathing difficulties, they should be in seats with a 45 degree recline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC