Seating positions- harnessed 5yo, and newborn (also, booster training question)

beki33b

I know I've read that the least protected child should be in the most protected position. (given that the seats fit properly, and it works for parents, etc).
I'm curious about this advice when the age difference is so big- my ds will be 5yo, harnessed in a Radian, and we will have a newborn, obviously rf'ing. We have a short bench seat in the middle row of the van, so one will be in the middle and one on the side. Safety wise, does it matter which child goes where? Or is it really just a matter of convenience?

Also...how would one go about "booster training" with only one family car? This isn't going to be something we will do really soon, it's just something that I'm curious about for the future.
We'd either have to uninstall the harnessed seat to put ds in the booster, or put him in the booster in the 3rd row of the van (which I sincerely doubt he will like).

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Even though the age difference is big, the newborn is still more protected by virtue of being rear-facing. So ideally, the FF child should be in the center with the RF child on the side, though of course there are other variables like you mentioned that might change that decision.

I'm not all that up on boosters, so I'll leave that for someone else. :)

Pixels

Least protected child goes in the most protected spot, even with a larger age difference. In reality, we are all safest in the center rear seat.

What about putting DS's harnessed seat in the third row, and booster in the second? That way he would be easier to keep an eye on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC