Seatbelt expiration?

michele12

How do you know if your seatbelts are expried or no longer good? I remember eading info here stating that seatbelts can expire just as car seats can. Is this accurate and how can I tell?
TIA!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
AFAIK, seatbelts don't expire. However, seatbelts should be replaced if they are damaged or if they've been used in a crash.

stevel

side note... it used to be believed that airbags expired after 10 years. but this has been deemed wrong. airbags in newer vehicles are considered "good" for the usefull life of the vehicle.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
don't think that's true for all air bags... my land rover states on the visiors (where the rear facing child saftey seat info is) that the air bags need to be serviced when it's 10 years old... i took the car to get the seat belts checked to be sure they didn't need reset from a preious crash if it was crashed since we bough it new and the land rover service deprtment said that i needed to return after the car was 10 years old ... they knew i drove almost 2 hours for the seat belts...

stevel

two questions to that... what year is your land rover and what does your owner's manual say? the 10 year guidline was used through the mid to late 90's, then deminished after that for the most part. Land Rover, being a small car maker may possibly be behind most manufacturers on updating their information.

airbag "servicing" is not always replacement. some manufacturers define and airbag "service" as making sure the system recognizing a problem (purposfully making a fault in the system), and making sure it believes it is functional after that.

dealers don't often read owner's manuals and maintanence manuals which is often the only place this info is published. so even though I work at a dealer, I know we are proven wrong based on not noting the changes in owner's information year to year.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

I know that in dh's XJ6 it specifically says to replace the airbag. It's on the visors as well as the inside of the glove compartment door and in the manual.

stevel

I know that in dh's XJ6 it specifically says to replace the airbag. It's on the visors as well as the inside of the glove compartment door and in the manual.

yeah, some say that. some don't. thus my statement that it does "not always mean" replacement. many people believe the traditional old school thought that it does automatically mean replacement, but that is not always the case. I've had people with ten year old cars think they should just buy a new car due to the cost of replacing them all in cases that they did not need to be replaced per owner's manual information.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
my land rover is a discovery II and it's and 2003, not to old... i'm not sure about the manual.. i'll have to check, but the visor does say servise not replace...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC