I just realized something

brightredmtn

Since it's pretty much a totally proven fact that rear facing is the safest way to travel, and the My Ride surpasses every other seat in the US market with rear facing weight limit, we actually now have a "safest convertible car seat."

I just realized this when I was giving convertible advice to a mom from my (ex) local mom's group.

Last edited:
ADS

rochelle

wish they sell the MyRide nearly as economical as the Scenara :( so that its easier to recommend to cash tight mums

ETA: I am assuming OP meant safest car seat for heavy babies/toddlers (who dont have long torsos)

Last edited:

Evolily

Eh- not necessarily. It's not the safest for a 30 lb 4 y/o with a long torso. Or the safest for the family who has to do 3 across. Definitely it is the safest for a 35 lb child who fits by height, though :) .

DahliaRW

I wouldn't call it safest by a long shot. If it had an ARB or a rfing tether AND a taller shell maybe. My nearly 2yo has pretty much outgrown it, but can still rf in his radian which has a rfing tether. So for him the radian is WAY safer than the MR65 since he'd be ffing in it soon.

emandbri

I really do think most kids would fit in it for quite a while.

Granted it is a very limited sample from my poll but there are the results.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=85978

85.7% of kids between 1 and 2 fit (and I admit I'm kind of curious of those 2 that didn't fit were only tried in the store and not in a car).

93.3% of kids between 2 and 3 fit.

86.6% of kids between 3 and 4 fit

and 44.4% of kids between 4 and 5 fit, which is pretty amazing!

Maedze

No...it's not the 'safest' :)

Very slender, tall children will outgrow it rearfacing in height before, say, the True Fit.

The 'safest' seat is one that fits the child, the budget, the car, and will be used correctly each and every time you use it.

The MyRide is wonderful, I totally agree, but it would be EXTREMELY inaccurate to call it the 'safest' seat. It's not.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
It would be safest if it had the highest weight limit AND the tallest shell back. :twocents:

ETA: Then it STILL wouldn't be the seat for everyone because of many other factors.

Maedze

Based on photos provided here in which the OP said, "my 1 year old or 2 year old doesn't fit" I have a feeling the numbers are higher and the statement is based on some kind of prejudice. :confused: The children in the photos clearly fit and had room to grow.

Basically, if your child fits in the MA, he'll fit in the MR.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with the PPs, especially Maezde.

The MyRide doesn't work for all children or all cars, and therefore can't be "the safest seat" -- there is no such thing.

But it isn't quap, either. There seems to be some sort of backlash against it -- perhaps because of hype and speculation and unrealistic expectations? No, it's not THE ANSWER to EERF. It's a decent -- maybe not spectacular, but decent -- seat at a reasonable price point, and it fills a much-needed niche (heavy young children).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
wish they sell the MyRide nearly as economical as the Scenara :( so that its easier to recommend to cash tight mums

Have you seen the MR and the Scenera side-by-side? I appreciate the Scenera for what it is -- an extremely cheap seat that can RF to 35# -- so I'm not trashing it. But it is very clearly in a different class than the MR and there's no way that an MR could be sold for $50.

brightredmtn

Basically, if your child fits in the MA, he'll fit in the MR.

And isn't it not very common that a kid outgrows the MA by height before weight?

Since I believe that the MR has the most potential to rear face the longest for the most kids I still have no qualms calling it the safest seat.

When you are a first time parent and looking to buy a convertible you have no idea how big your kid is going to be when they are 2, 3, 4 years old. My kid was in the 90th percentile for height when he was in an infant seat, now he's in the 60th and at 3 still has plenty of room left to rear face by height in his MA. He doesn't have freakishly long legs, if anything he is more torso than leg.

Clearly everyone's situation is different with extremely long torsoed kids and the need to do a three across and what not but generally speaking, rear facing the longest with a very decent sized shell, yeah the MR gets my vote.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, it's fine that it has your vote. We all have preferences and opinions. But when parents ask "what's the safest seat?" we should be explaining what makes a seat "safe" -- proper fit and use, rear-facing capacity (assuming the child is of a size to RF), other features such as foam, tethering, ARB, etc. -- and helping them to make a decision, not voting on what seat they should get.

brightredmtn

Well, it's fine that it has your vote. We all have preferences and opinions. But when parents ask "what's the safest seat?" we should be explaining what makes a seat "safe" -- proper fit and use, rear-facing capacity (assuming the child is of a size to RF), other features such as foam, tethering, ARB, etc. -- and helping them to make a decision, not voting on what seat they should get.

I'm sorry but we tell people all the time here specifically which seats to get. Yeah I'll give you EPS foam as a deal breaker in a seat for me but there hasn't actually been any statistical data to prove that ARB and RF tethering make a seat safer. If given the choice between a seat that RFs to 40lbs without these options, or one with them that goes to 35lbs, we KNOW that RF is safer so that seems like a no brainer.

Maedze

Actually, it almost never happens that people say, "you need to get this seat, this and no other one, outside of limited circumstances.

Someone trying to do three across with a 1 year old, 2 year old, and 3 year old in a Hyundai Elantra? Yeah, they're going to need three Radians.

Your 2 year old is 40 inches tall and weighs 46 pounds? Do not stop, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, and buy a Regent.

Your nine month old weighs 36 pounds? The ONLY safe option is to buy a My Ride (and it used to be, import).

But it's still totally inaccurate, especially as a CPST, to describe a seat as the 'safest' one. That's really missing the core of the CPST class...to help each parent leave you with the child SAFER than he was before. That doesn't mean best practice. It doesn't necessarily even mean a 20 pound 18 month old is rearfacing.

If an 18 month old comes to your clinic in an outgrown evenflo bucket, and your coalition distrubutes evenflo combinations, congrats, you've done the job. THAT was your safest option.

The other risk you're taking, by telling a parent this is the 'safest' seat, what if the seat is recalled in 6 months? You've just told a parent that, in essence, they're bad parents if they don't buy X product, and it turns out X product is actually lethal?

All you've done at that point is create anger and distrustfulness.

It's our job as techs to INFORM of best practice. Sometimes it's even appropriate to say, "You need XYZ...here's a few seats that will do that job."

But...the MyRide is NOT the safest seat. It's just not.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Since it's pretty much a totally proven fact that rear facing is the safest way to travel, and the My Ride surpasses every other seat in the US market with rear facing weight limit, we actually now have a "safest car seat."

One could also envision a very well designed forward-facing child restraint outperforming a poorly designed rear-facing one. Since we have no tests to compare different models to each other, we have no way to know, especially when it comes to a child of a specific age, size and weight, rather than in general terms.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry but we tell people all the time here specifically which seats to get. Yeah I'll give you EPS foam as a deal breaker in a seat for me but there hasn't actually been any statistical data to prove that ARB and RF tethering make a seat safer. If given the choice between a seat that RFs to 40lbs without these options, or one with them that goes to 35lbs, we KNOW that RF is safer so that seems like a no brainer.

When we know the details! A 66# just-turned-3yo needs a Regent. Three-across in a Yaris probably needs Radians. Someone who absolutely cannot spend more than $50 needs a Scenera. And a 36# 10-month-old needs a MyRide. There are circumstances where there IS one single correct answer to "what seat should I get?" -- but there is no definitively safest seat on the market.

Edit: sorry, Maezde, I hadn't read your post. Funny that we used very similar examples!

Mommy0608

I normally stay out of discussions like this... :eek:

I think there's a difference between offering a range of suggested seats, vs. saying THIS is the seat to get. In some cases, there may only be 1 seat that will fit the needs of the family, but I believe that in most cases there are options.

Personally I don't ever just recommend ONE seat to a family when asked for suggestions, unless there is only one seat that will work for them, which isn't often. When armed with information about a variety of options, the parent is better able to make the appropriate choice for their family.

I'm all for ERF of course, but that doesn't mean that I will always recommend the My Ride. It's at the top of my list along with a few others, but it depends on the child, vehicle and budget as well as a parent's ability to use it properly.

I do think there are lots of kids who outgrow the shell of the MA and similar seats (including the MR) by height before weight. If the seat that lasts longest RF is the safest for any given child, then for MY child (Jessica, not Tyler), the True Fit is the "safest" seat. However, right NOW, there isn't one safest seat for her because she fits in a variety of them, but she will most certainly outgrow them all by height before weight, except possibly the TF. She's almost 40" (she may have hit or passed 40" by now, haven't measured lately), but is only 27lbs.

I guess my point is that we have lots of things to consider when making recommendations and we should be careful in calling one seat the "safest." I agree with you that the My Ride will last many children the longest RF, however, certainly not all... I hesitate to even say a majority. I have no idea if the majority of kids will make it to 40lbs RF in that seat, or 35lbs in other seats.

Stepping down now. :eek:

brightredmtn

One could also envision a very well designed forward-facing child restraint outperforming a poorly designed rear-facing one. Since we have no tests to compare different models to each other, we have no way to know, especially when it comes to a child of a specific age, size and weight, rather than in general terms.

We do know though that there is a base that all seats must pass.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC