Carseat for small child

U

Unregistered

I have a 26lb- 37 inch tall dd who will be 5 in Aug. I have her in a Marathon right now but it will be expiring within a year so I'm exploring my options. Would you go with a booster seat next or another convertible type. I doubt she'll gain more than 2 lbs by then.

ADS

rochelle

most boosters would need your daughter to be at least 40lbs. so she would have to gain 14lbs in 1 yr.

I am using the frontier for my boys (35lb and 43lbs) in harness mode. the Graco Nautilus, Britax Regent and many other car seats can be used as harness car seats and high back boosters. so whatever you choose to buy would be able to last your daughter for many years.

mommaon112903

Yeah, she is not heavy enough for a booster nor will she be by the time the MA expires.

How does she fit in the MA? If she has room to spare you could always get another MA. You would even have an extra cover :)

all together ooky

Hi! Welcome to c-s.org!

Booster seats are for children that have met the minimum of 4 years old AND 40lbs. Children less than 40lbs have a significant higher risk of submarining (sliding under the lap portion of the belt) in a crash.

She is still so petite she could be rear-facing in some seats (is she rear-facing now?) If you don't want to rear-face I would look into a seat like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier. Both harness and can be used as boosters later. Another option since she's so light is something like the Graco Cargo or Evenflo Generations (both harness to 40lbs).
Heck, at her size you have lots of options! How much do you want to spend? How does she fit in the Marathon (what shoulder slot is she using?)

U

Unregistered

Hi! Welcome to c-s.org!

Booster seats are for children that have met the minimum of 4 years old AND 40lbs. Children less than 40lbs have a significant higher risk of submarining (sliding under the lap portion of the belt) in a crash.

She is still so petite she could be rear-facing in some seats (is she rear-facing now?) If you don't want to rear-face I would look into a seat like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier. Both harness and can be used as boosters later. Another option since she's so light is something like the Graco Cargo or Evenflo Generations (both harness to 40lbs).
Heck, at her size you have lots of options! How much do you want to spend? How does she fit in the Marathon (what shoulder slot is she using?)

We just flipped her forward facing 6 months ago. She has congenital scoliosis and her curve is up really high. I'm not sure which way would be the safest for her. I will have to see what slot I have it on as I don't remember :) I'd hate to spend too much on another seat. I'm bummed that I didn't know enough to look at the expiration when getting the seat. We had her in a graco snugride for a while before switching to this seat. I also posted about the my ride and evenflo... I am due in July :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How does the scoliosis affect her car seat sitting? Is she able to sit well in a forward-facing seat? What about a rear-facing seat? Which way is she more comfortable? (I'd guess it might be rear-facing?)

Rear-facing is safer for EVERYONE as long as they are within height and weight limits of a seat that can rear-face. But, there are some conditions where comfort or convenience may outweigh the safety factors, and some parents decide at a certain age that forward-facing in a harness-- which is also very safe-- is "safe enough." That's a choice that is up to you, and I'd say at her age, comfort and convenience should weigh pretty heavily in the decision. You did great to rear-face her so long, though!

If you want to forward-face her, I agree, a combination seat (Nautilus or Frontier) might be a better choice for you. Babies R Us carries several of them in many of their stores, and lets you try before you buy.

If you want to rear-face, you should probably try different seats to see how she fits and whether she is comfortable in them. The My Ride has a higher weight limit, but shell is not significantly taller than the Marathon (if she still fits rear-facing in the Marathon with room to spare this might be a good choice for rear-facing her longer.) If she is closer to outgrowing it rear-facing by height than weight, the First Years True Fit or Sunshine Kids Radian seats might be better choices.

Since it sounds like her comfort in the seat will be a very important factor, if you don't buy locally, you might consider an online store with shipping insurance-- for $5, if the seat doesn't work, you're guaranteed to be able to send it back at no more cost to you.

britfish

One thing to consider is the Nautilus is a more upright seat wherease the Marathon has a nice natural recline to it. I'm not sure which way would be more comfortable for your DD, we have both seats and DD is 5 and 32lbs. and 40 inches and there is a noticeable difference in the seating position in these two seats.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd get a Frontier - it has a 9 year lifespan, and she is so petite that she may need most/all of that lifespan.

skipspin

I have a friend with a little girl with mild scoliosis and her DD loves the Radian and is comfy in the Vivo. She is very uncomfy in a Marathon although she still fits. (She's over 35#s and 5.)

While your daughter is nearing the age where a booster may be acceptable she us under the weight limit for all best-positioning boosters. None allow use until 30#s and at least 40#s is recommended.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC