Do you remember riding in a carseat as a child?

Ducky5306

(I hope this is the right place to put this)

I have no memory of ever being in a car seat (i'll be 25 in aug) I remember riding in cars (with a lap belt) or in my parents big van (with no belt, laying down on the fold down seats)

I clearly remember my mom getting a ticket for my sister playing/jumping around in the car and not being buckled when she was around 3y/o (I am 5 years older then her) my mom said for my three older brothers she never had car seats (Born in 1976, '79 and '82) but she said my sister had a booster seat (That I never recall her ever sitting in, I do recall lots of car rides some from MI to FL with the 5 of us kids running around the van, jumping off seats, etc)

Do you remember being in a car seat as a child?
Or was my mom just that mom who didn't use carseats? :eek:

ADS

mom2juliarose

I can remember riding in a shield booster (it was just lovely and brown vinyl and I stuck to it every time in the humid NY summers). I have also seen pictures of my younger brother (born in '83) in a car seat installed in the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, but I remember my brother having a shield booster.

I know I did, I just don't remember it.

MomToEliEm

Nope (I am the youngest of 3 kids and I was born in 1974). I remember often during our cross-country road trips we would setup pillows and blankets on the volkswagen vanagon floor for us to sleep on.

rochelle

I was born in the early 70s. seatbelt law was not in place in my country of birth until early 90s (around 1993).

car seat law was not in place until late 90s and not seriously enforced until after 2000 (due to "leniency" period of any new law)

my nephew who was born in 1992 was the first kid in my extended family to be in a convertible (those that can be used from newborn).

miraclebabies

We all rode in the same carseats.... My mom bought two "Bobby Mac" carseats, one small and a larger version. The dark brown leather ones with the front shield that the seatbelt goes over. We were born in 80, 81, 85 & 87 We also used a little brown no back booster when we got around age 3 or 4. I do remember my little brother riding in them but not my little sister, she is only a few years younger than me. I think at the time my parents did pretty well with the carseat choices they made.

AllieCanada

I don't have any memories of riding in any seats but I do know that I rode in some in the car because my Mom has pics of them. I was born in 85

mommaon112903

I know my mom used RFing seats for both my sister and I, I was born in June 1980 and sis Halloween 1984. We rode RFing until we could not fit, then FF until age four and used LBB (the shield type) until I was six and sis was around eight when she was out of hers. I think she did pretty good given what choices she had!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
no, I never rode in a carseat(born '78), nor did my sister(born '80)...my brother (born '90) didn't either, until my mom was ticketed for it, at which point i think she was required to buy one and show it to the court. We also never wore seatbelts, and to this day, most of my family(older than me, parents, etc) don't wear one.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes. It was some type of shield booster, and I was 2-3 years old. I was born in '78 and have tried to find a picture of the seat, but I haven't been able to. I've looked in the pictorial and it's not there, anything that resembles it was made many years later.

niccig

Nope (I am the youngest of 3 kids and I was born in 1974). I remember often during our cross-country road trips we would setup pillows and blankets on the volkswagen vanagon floor for us to sleep on.

We did the same thing. One of us slept on the floor and the other 2 slept on our sides across the bench seat. I was 10 or so when seatbelt laws were enforced. I remember the arguments with my mother about wearing them, as we never did. And this is why our parents don't get car seats...

mamabearof3

And this is why our parents don't get car seats...

Tell me about it! When my oldest was a tiny baby my MIL wanted me to take him out of :)his seat to nurse him while driving down the freeway!:eek: I told her NEVER EVER EVER is a child of mine to be removed from a seat while the vehicle is in motion! She said she used to nurse my husband (born 76) while driving and put him in a box on the front seat when done!!!:eek:

Holy cats!

~Stacy in MN with 4 kiddos in 5pt harness who pulls over to nurse her babes

myliljunebugs

My mom said we had one of those infant carriers that would hang from the backside of the front seats. We were held until we could ride in the infant carrier. then after the infant carrier we used seatbelts. My mom would pull over and spank us if we unbuckled (from about 2 and up, not as babies. We lived in a very rural place and only "rich" people put their kids in "fancy" seats back then. My mom is my biggest advocate on car seat safety :D

Evolily

I remember riding in a shield booster. It had this blue itchy fabric that had specs of other colors (green and maroon maybe?) in it. One day I thought it would be cool to try and close the bar myself, and ended up smashing my finger on it. To this day that finger will not fully straighten.

ETA: I was born in 86. As I understand it, I went from an infant seat for the first several months, to a shield harness seat until I was maybe 2, to a shield booster until 4 or 5. When I was older, though, much of the time I road without a seatbelt, in truck beds, etc.

Lea_Ontario

Nope, I don't remember ever riding in a child restraint, though my mom said she had one of those 'backwards baby' ones for a while.

andre149

I was born in 86 and have seen pictures in my infant carseat (which basically looked like a plastic bucket with vinyl on it :) I believe it was the standard 3 point harness, but not positive. I know I rode in some sort of harnessed front facing seat, but can't really remember it. Then there was the shield booster era lol. Given what was available at the time I think my mom did pretty good... she was boostering long past when most kids were just in seatbelts and actually fired a babysitter on the spot once for letting me ride in the front seat in a seatbelt at probably 3 1/2 yrs old.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I was born in '67 and although I don't remember riding in anything, my younger brother (born in '73) rode in the same seat that both my sis and I rode in (according to my mom).

It was some kind of metal bars (shiny silver) covered in blue vinyl, with a blue vinyl covered seat. The metal bars extended out the back of the seat on each side and they were pushed into the bight of the car's seat to secure it. It had an overhead shield type pull down in front of us and no other harness in it.

I give my parents some credit for having us ride in something!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC