Question Are there laws about selling expired carseats? (at consignment stores)

Ducky5306

I was at a local consignment store today and they were selling a roundabout that was made in 2001, (For $95!) I told the owner (Who is preg) that the seat was expired and that I thought it was illegal to sell expired seats.. She had no idea that car seats even expired (I'm always shocked by how many people don't)

Is there any laws (I'm in FL) regarding it? She pulled it off the shelf and was checking every seat they had when i left :thumbsup: I told her in general its 5 years (6 year for some, such as britax)

I'm glad she knows now and hopefully in the future checks the DOM dates on car seats they are taking in!

Thanks!

ADS

ame0312

i doubt theres a law... people are always selling expired garbage on ebay & craigslist... actually its 6 yrs for most seats... some are more.... the only one of know of that is 5 is the peg perego...

Ducky5306

i doubt theres a law... people are always selling expired garbage on ebay & craigslist... actually its 6 yrs for most seats... some are more.... the only one of know of that is 5 is the peg perego...

Ah i didn't know that (I've only had Britax and one cheapo graco as a ICE/spare/daycare baby seat)

Stinks there is no law about is.. there should be! and I think all seats should have the DOM then a "EXPIRES ON XX/XX/XXXX" Tag or DO NOT USE AFTER "XX/XX/XXXX" Most people just don't know..

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Effective this year all new seats must have both the date of manufacture and an expiration date on them. :thumbsup:

Ducky5306

Effective this year all new seats must have both the date of manufacture and an expiration date on them. :thumbsup:

When does that start? I just got a Britax Marathon (DOM 5/5/09) and it doesn't say anything other then the DOM.

moobiegirl

Don't most states have a proper use clause? Then it is kinda illegal to sell a used car seat, but it's the buyers responsibility to check and not the sellers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC