Anyone have an SS manual on hand??

Mama Jo

What does it say in the manual about the expiration? I wrote Graco an email asking why my SS had a use by date of December of the 5th year rather than the 6th, when I thought all their carseats expired in December of the 6th year...

And here is what I got in response:

Car seats have a suggested useful life that is identified on the car seat as follows: “DO NOT use this car seat after December 20xx”. The useful life is not a compliance or regulatory requirement, but because of changes in regulations, changes in vehicles, new technology and other factors including general wear and tear of the seat, we recommend that a car seat be replaced upon reaching the useful life date.

:rolleyes:

Way to give me information that makes you look like you know what you're talking about without actually answering my question.

I feel like I'm talking to an attorney...

ADS

mom2ari

I don't see anything in my manual about a use by date. Also, on my seat I only see a manufacture date and not a use by date. I am thinking you are talking about the safe seat right? That is what I have and was looking for in the manual.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Mom2ari, there should be a expiration blurb saying "DO NOT USE AFTER <date>" etched or stamped onto the back or bottom of the shell of your Safeseat - it's just probably hard to spot without looking closely as there's little contrast between the color of the plastic and the small etched/stamped expiration blurb on the seat. I had to really hunt to find it on our SS1. Graco's FAQ is under reconstruction at http://www.gracobaby.com/CustomerService/Pages/faq.aspx?page=FAQ but there used to be an expiration FAQ there stating it's 6 years for Graco seats.

amyd

Weren't there a bunch of Graco seats that got the wrong year stamped on them fairly recently? Or am I thinking of another manufacturer?

mom2ari

ok I found the exp date and it is dec 2013. my DOM is 11/2007 so that would be 6 years, yours must be 6 years too, they must not have changed the date stamp.

Mama Jo

Yeah, the use by date is really hard to find. It's very small and just stamped into the platic. Right on the bottom of the seat.

Honestly, I wouldn't even have checked for it because I know the DOM and that Graco's policy is to expire in the Dec of the 6th year. But I was selling it and just wanted to confirm the expiration date.

Someone had suggested contacting Graco about it because Graco had once sent them a new seat for the same reason. So I was kinda hoping… maybe… just maybe… lol

amyd

From their response, it really doesn't sound like they got what you were trying to say. I'd call them, personally.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC